Beer

zekekelso

Wouldn't it depend on who the sponsor is?

I think Heineken is sponsoring London 2012 and if I recall correctly, Molson sponsored Vancouver 2010. Likely only their products will be on sale at Olympic events, just like how Coca-Cola is the only non-alcoholic beverage supplier.

Yes, it would depend who the sponsor is.

But is there actually a requirement to serve alcoholic drinks at Olympic Games? If a city - for whatever reason - didn't sign a sponsorship with a brewer, then presumably there'd be no alcohol around the venues. Would the IOC care?

zekekelso raised this question because of this story:

Beer will be sold at all 12 venues of the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil, according to FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke.

It is currently illegal to sell beer in Brazil's soccer stadiums, but Mr Valcke has insisted that the right to sell beer must be included in a World Cup Law.

The sale of alcoholic drinks was banned in Brazil's stadiums in 2003 to try and prevent violence among hardcore fans at football matches.

Voting on the bill for the World Cup Law has been held up over differences between the tournament hosts and world soccer's governing body on the sale of alcoholic drinks at sports venues.

The bill was scheduled to have been voted on by the chamber of deputies at the end of last year.

FIFA is demanding protection of sponsors' trademarks.

One of FIFA's longest-standings sponsors is US brewer Budweiser.

"Alcoholic drinks are part of the FIFA World Cup, so we're going to have them. Excuse me if I sound a bit arrogant but that's something we won't negotiate" Mr Valcke said.

"The fact that we have the right to sell beer has to be a part of the Law," he told the foreign press corps in an interview in Rio de Janeiro.

Brazil's Minister for Health Alexandre Padilha and other members of parliament have put pressure on Congress to maintain the ban in the World Cup Law.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0119/fifa.html

Mostlly depends on the sponsor as you've said... Isnt a requirement to sell beet at a sporting event, which is pretty ironic... But beer gives atmosphere, see like any place in Europe stadiums (Germany, Spain, France, etc...) it is like the atmosphere... In Brazil its prohibed perhaps to prevent a possible riot situation.

Mostlly depends on the sponsor as you've said... Isnt a requirement to sell beet at a sporting event, which is pretty ironic... But beer gives atmosphere, see like any place in Europe stadiums (Germany, Spain, France, etc...) it is like the atmosphere... In Brazil its prohibed perhaps to prevent a possible riot situation.

It depends first of the national law.... Some countries are banning alcoholic drinks from their stadium or are forbidding to have alcoholic drinks associated with sport.

As for you examples.... Atmosphere in french stadiums is not because of beer..... as beers are not served in French Stadiums !!!

Alcohol fuels a lot of the idiocy that goes on in the stands at sporting events, although Olympic spectators are usually not there as an excuse to get drunk. I usually don't drink at sporting events, mostly because of the lousy beer choices, ridiculous prices, and long restroom lines, so I actually don't mind a dry venue. Not to mention having to constantly stand up for the guys who have to go take a leak every 20 minutes and couldn't actually tell you the score of the game.

Yes, but would the IOC be happy with a "dry" Games? That's the question. FIFA are challenging Brazil's law which bans alchol in venues, would the IOC do the same?

If they made the award contingent upon allowing alcohol sales and the prospective host agreed, then yes, they would be understandably unhappy. As much as I dislike FIFA, I understand their position. I would think they would have to give a lot of sponsorship money back to Anheuser-Busch if beer isn't allowed in the venues.

Based on my Vancouver experience, Olympic audiences aren't really the hooligan types. Most of the events felt like you were sitting in a cafe or family room watching the events with family or old friends. The people on the streets, however, were a little more intoxicated.

Was the only beer supplier for Sydney 2000 Crown Lager? I know that Crown Lager officially made some Olympic related memorabilia and that Lindeman wines was the official wine company of those games.

So did venues who used other suppliers (beer) had to temporarily offer Crown during the Olympics?

Well... Here its prohibed for example, but i guess laws aren't respected here... So i dont know how would a "dry" soccer match for example may be... Maybe a regultations... I've been in soccer matches in Estadio Jalisco (GDL), Bernabeu (MAD), and Mario Camposeco (XEL) and in every stadium beer was admited, do you know any where were beer or alcohol its prohibed in stadium and the law its RESPECTED? I've no idea :P

Archived