Innsbruck 2012 Opening Ceremony

Still hardly any footage out there on Youtube. Fantastic.

But I found one video apparently taken by someone with a mobile phone of the cauldron lighting. And this must be the most anti-climatic cauldron lighting in Olympic history. No music, only lengthy announcements of the cauldron lighters and then even bad timing because the first two cauldron lighters light their cauldron before the announcements are over. Sorry, Innsbruck -- but this was not convincing, to say the least.

There were some short interviews with several people, who attended the Opening Ceremony, in the "Sportgespräch" on Deutschlandfunk yesterday - and the people were very amazed by the show...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we perhaps expecting a little too much here?? I know we are Olympic junkies and crave anything with the five rings attached to it so many here may be disappointed but the world at-large could care less. These Youth Games are modeled after, but do not have to emulate, their gigantic big brother. As for no TV coverage, these kids should not be expected to bear the burden of expectation that older athletes do. Remember how Dan Jansen, Lindsey Jacobellis, and Bode Miller were knifed by the TV and print media because they either failed to produce or made an error that cost a sure gold medal? What fourteen year should have to endure that? Some are calling the Games cheap. If you didn't notice, admission to these events is free, so there is no gate revenue. There are no funds for frills like three flames burning continously or an opening ceremony that didn't live up to anybody's dreams. Let's keep some perspective here, this is sporting, cultural, and educational gathering for the young athletes of the world. If you need all the extra stuff, come back in July, because there will be plenty for everybody.

Videos been taken down <_<

Well, looks like it was a pretty bad ceremony, but can anyone say there really surprised? These are the YOG's after all. I didn't even know the ceremony had taken place yet :P

Are we perhaps expecting a little too much here?? I know we are Olympic junkies and crave anything with the five rings attached to it so many here may be disappointed but the world at-large could care less. These Youth Games are modeled after, but do not have to emulate, their gigantic big brother. As for no TV coverage, these kids should not be expected to bear the burden of expectation that older athletes do. Remember how Dan Jansen, Lindsey Jacobellis, and Bode Miller were knifed by the TV and print media because they either failed to produce or made an error that cost a sure gold medal? What fourteen year should have to endure that? Some are calling the Games cheap. If you didn't notice, admission to these events is free, so there is no gate revenue. There are no funds for frills like three flames burning continously or an opening ceremony that didn't live up to anybody's dreams. Let's keep some perspective here, this is sporting, cultural, and educational gathering for the young athletes of the world. If you need all the extra stuff, come back in July, because there will be plenty for everybody.

Somehow I expected that there would be reactions like this one along the lines "Remember that these are low-budget Games". Yes, that's true -- but some music for the cauldron lighting costs almost nothing (and they even had some music when the torch approached the cauldrons, so why not for the lighting itself?) and good timing even costs absolutely nothing. Low budget doesn't mean that a cauldron lighting has to look cheap, too.

I too am a bit disappointed by the opening ceremony. Take that back I am a lot disappointed by these opening ceremony. Yes these are a lower budget games but don't forget so too was Singapore's and there torch lighting alone is one of the more spectacular that I have ever seen. Singapore's opening ceremony was amazing considering it was the first Youth Games of any kind. I cannot accept that Innsbruck couldn't at least match the level of Singapore. Major let down and if you don't remember Singapore My link

I too am a bit disappointed by the opening ceremony. Take that back I am a lot disappointed by these opening ceremony. Yes these are a lower budget games but don't forget so too was Singapore's and there torch lighting alone is one of the more spectacular that I have ever seen. Singapore's opening ceremony was amazing considering it was the first Youth Games of any kind. I cannot accept that Innsbruck couldn't at least match the level of Singapore. Major let down and if you don't remember Singapore My link

The OCOG budget for Singapore 2010 was 12 times the one for Innsbruck 2012 ! We could not compare.... (And by the way, Singapore multiplied by 5 the IOC's expectations in term of budgets....)

The Winter games might struggle here - but I suspect they'll be enough cities wanting a foot in the door with the IOC for the summer games to grow. I wonder though if for some athletes the magic of competing at their first Olympic games will kind of be lost by attending these mini-youth events - or perhaps it'll make it even more special.

Anyhow, two days in and two items of note - firstly turning the cauldrons off at night to save energy, which was reported earlier in the thread. And secondly the first round of curling having to be postponed because the ice melted overnight due to a power cut.

Serious question though - with the move to more city based Winter Olympic hosts do we think Innsbruck is ever likely to host the main event again?

you just can't compare Singapore's and Ibk's opening ceremony. The budget of the Singapore's opening ceremony was higher than the budget for the whole Ibk games...

Serious question though - with the move to more city based Winter Olympic hosts do we think Innsbruck is ever likely to host the main event again?

Maybe. As Ibk is Austria's #1 destination when it comes to olympics, it's not unlikely that Ibk gets its chance again. Of course there are other cities that could host wog like Salzburg, Klagenfurt, Graz or maybe even Kitzbühel but all those cities failed in their last attempts in the last years... and left huge debts (at all Salzburg's 2014 attempt... maybe another reason why this yog are so cheap...)

*these

Anyhow, two days in and two items of note - firstly turning the cauldrons off at night to save energy, which was reported earlier in the thread. And secondly the first round of curling having to be postponed because the ice melted overnight due to a power cut.

That is not a first in both case at the Olympics.. and specifically the Vancouver 2010 Winter ones...

- The cauldron at the Olympic Ceremony has been turned off just a few minutes after people leaving the BC Place Stadium... But They turned on the one of the Jack Poole Plaza.... Innsbruck did the same, as they also have a cauldron at the Medal Plaza (where the closing ceremony will take place this Sunday...

img2012011500478.jpgimg2772qo.jpg

- Vancouver met delays at the Speed Skating Oval with problems with the Zamboni !

Maybe. As Ibk is Austria's #1 destination when it comes to olympics, it's not unlikely that Ibk gets its chance again. Of course there are other cities that could host wog like Salzburg, Klagenfurt, Graz or maybe even Kitzbühel but all those cities failed in their last attempts in the last years... and left huge debts (at all Salzburg's 2014 attempt... maybe another reason why this yog are so cheap...)

*these

Interview in ATR of the General Secretary of the Austrian Olympic Committee :

ATR: Are the Youth Olympic Games in any way a stepping stone toward a bid for a third Winter Olympics in Innsbruck?

PM: Olympic Games are always a step toward something, and I think the Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck are very important not only for Innsbruck and for Tyrol, but also for the Austrian Olympic Committee.

ATR: But does the AOC have any bid aspirations for future Olympic Games?

PM: Not at the moment.

Austria is a small country, and as you know, it takes a lot of money to make a bid for traditional Olympic Games, and there is nobody at the moment that I know of who is thinking about a new bid.

For those who want to watch the whole thing, someone posted a two hours vid, courtesy of ORF Sports.

PS: Didn't noticed someone posted it already ^^;

Anyway...I hope Lillehammer won't be as simple as this. Same goes for Nanjing (although knowing how chinese stage shows, I expect Nanjing opening ceremony to be even better than Singapore)

Anyway...I hope Lillehammer won't be as simple as this. Same goes for Nanjing (although knowing how chinese stage shows, I expect Nanjing opening ceremony to be even better than Singapore)

Don't worry with Nanjing, their overall budget is higher than the Singapore's one.....

For those who want to watch the whole thing, someone posted a two hours vid, courtesy of ORF Sports.

Great of that user that she or he even uploaded the ceremony in its entirety. I haven't watched the video entirely yet, but I already noticed one interesting thing: They used the Munich 1972 arrangement for the Olympic Anthem. You can hear it at 1:13:00. It's that playful and yet majestic arrangement composed by the German-American Alfred Goodman -- now re-arranged by Hannes Apfolterer for a purely brass orchestra. And regardless how much I criticised the organisers for the cauldron lighting: I like it very much that they chose particularly that arrangement which is my favourite one. It's great to see that a 1972 arrangement still works 40 years later. And so I hope that the arrangement will be re-used also at future Games -- even if some of you prefer the Olympic Anthem sung by a choir. ;)

Am just watching the full version. So far; so good!! NO ATHLETES! Really speeds things up!! This is how the adult Os should be -- fast and swift!! London, take note!!

What an uninspired, post-climactic Lighting! And did they have to use such huge cauldrons? And I never thot I'd say it--but those 2 harpie-commentatresses just WOULDN'T shut up!!

The whole thing looks so amateurish.

Archived