A Denver 2022 Olympics Price Tag Would be $1.4 Billion

GBModerator

Yes, there has to be some kind of public input into this process because public support is a big part of the bid process and given what happened for the 1976 Games, it will be real important this time around to reassure the IOC that it won't happen again. It is important to understand what the public's concerns are and then try and weave in some responses into the evaluation process. The financial issues would certainly be important but at this stage, it should not be the most important issue to consider at this time. Environmental issues are always important when it comes to the Winter Games and Vancouver I think did a good job of being good environmental stewards for the Games and lessons can be learned from them. I also realize that Denver is struggling on what to do with the FastTracks transit projects and whether the public would support increases in funding to pay for the short falls. Transportation will be a key element that Denver has in their favor if they are able to fully implement all of the rail projects that they are wanting to do.

(^) 1.45 billion seems really small. I am pretty sure Reno would cost more.

From a venue perspective, Denver only needs maybe two venues for the ice events and of course the added venues for sliding, ski jmping etc. So the actual cost could be less than say Reno who would have to build a lot more venues. I would not take these numbers as realistic numbers, these are just order of magnitude numbers. The one wild card would be the cost of security. Vancouver grossly underestimated their cost from bid to actual and that is one cost element I would be watching carefully.

Compared to the estimated $30 that Sochi is going to cost (the most expensice Winter Olympics to date), yes, $1.4 is puny in comparison.

That number for Sochi probabl includes infrastructure improvements as well. Don't forget, Sochi has to build virutally everything from scratch so the cost is go ing to be a lot higher.

Again, the Denver group ain't fooling me. That's a VERY underestimated cost...and I can see they are purposely low-balling it to make it easy to sell to the Denver voters. I hope they see through the charade. It will cost at least $2 billion.

Probably more. The village alone could be upwards of a billion.

That number for Sochi probabl includes infrastructure improvements as well. Don't forget, Sochi has to build virutally everything from scratch so the cost is go ing to be a lot higher.

Yes, I know that. But the figure still seems low. And after the IOC gets spoiled with Sochi & PyeongChang, it may be hard for them to turn back 10-fold. Remember, these are royal-wannabes, too.

No. The last 3 US Games + Sarajevo used university dorms...as will the Reno bid. I imagine Denver will do the same. But I would demand $600 million at least for Ceremonies!!

I knew that Atlanta did dorms, but how did Salt Lake and Sarajevo manage using university dorms for a winter games? I've always been a fan of using dorms for athlete housing, but I only ever knew of it happening during summer games.

I knew that Atlanta did dorms, but how did Salt Lake and Sarajevo manage using university dorms for a winter games? I've always been a fan of using dorms for athlete housing, but I only ever knew of it happening during summer games.

At a Winter Olympics, you normally have to build an Olympic Village because the smaller mountain resorts do rarely have a university. Same for Denver, I think they'll do a bid with Vail.

Salt Lake used I believe Brigham Young Univ and Sarajevo used the Univ of Sarajevo. Well, univ. campuses are nearly self-sustaining communities...there are dining halls, et., etc., in there. Remember, the Winter Games only attract like 3,500 athletes (if there isn't a satellite village as there was one at Whistler, wasn't there?) You basically just add a few more amenities to a campus and voila!, you have a Village!! It just throws off the student body a little. But then the students are given "Volunteer Preference" and are usually assigned to the campus jobs.

Salt Lake used I believe Brigham Young Univ and Sarajevo used the Univ of Sarajevo. Well, univ. campuses are nearly self-sustaining communities...there are dining halls, et., etc., in there. Remember, the Winter Games only attract like 3,500 athletes (if there isn't a satellite village as there was one at Whistler, wasn't there?) You basically just add a few more amenities to a campus and voila!, you have a Village!! It just throws off the student body a little. But then the students are given "Volunteer Preference" and are usually assigned to the campus jobs.

There was a satellite village in Whistler. But what I think the barrack is trying to say is how did they winter games (in February) manage to use university dorms when university students would be on campus.

There was a satellite village in Whistler. But what I think the barrack is trying to say is how did they winter games (in February) manage to use university dorms when university students would be on campus.

If I didn't make it clear, the schools adjust the school calendar. They allow for a longer winter/spring break...and they know that a few years in advance, so they can build up to it incrementally. Then everyone adjusts accordingly--allowing for that nearly one month break wherein the campus is sequestered. And then the year after, the school year returns to its normal sked.

Which is why the IOC gives host cities a 7-year leadtime, so something like this can be arranged far in advance...altho Atlanta, using the Georgia Tech campus, only had 6 years' leadtime--which is why for all the unjustified dissing of Atlanta, what the private Committee, accomplished in just 6 years is pretty amazing. I think Calgary also used their univ. dorms.

If I didn't make it clear, the schools adjust the school calendar. They allow for a longer winter/spring break...and they know that a few years in advance, so they can build up to it incrementally. Then everyone adjusts accordingly--allowing for that nearly one month break wherein the campus is sequestered. And then the year after, the school year returns to its normal sked.

Which is why the IOC gives host cities a 7-year leadtime, so something like this can be arranged far in advance...altho Atlanta, using the Georgia Tech campus, only had 6 years' leadtime--which is why for all the unjustified dissing of Atlanta, what the private Committee, accomplished in just 6 years is pretty amazing. I think Calgary also used their univ. dorms.

I don't think you made that clear :lol:

Again, the Denver group ain't fooling me. That's a VERY underestimated cost...and I can see they are purposely low-balling it to make it easy to sell to the Denver voters. I hope they see through the charade. It will cost at least $2 billion.

Cost of security in London this summer is greater that this so-called 'total' cost estimate... I would not believe that a Denver games or any other winter games anywhere in the USA could be staged for anything less that 3 Billion, minimum. Factoring in accommodation, transport upgrades, venues, security, etc, 1.5 billion is a laughable joke estimate.

I guarantee that there is no way that this number is not already being put under intense scrutiny, and that the Tea-party folk in the Denver area are already drafting a ballot initiative stating that no taxpayer money, not once penny, can be spent on the games or even a bid in any way... it will get the signatures needed to go on the ballot and the people of Denver will approve it, I would bet on it... I think that fortunately for Denver, this will almost certainly happen before any IOC voting takes place, sparing Denver the shame of a post-victory rejection again.

It saddens me to believe this, as I would love to see a Denver winter games... but the voters there will NEVER agree to pay for it and without taxpayer money it won't happen...

At a Winter Olympics, you normally have to build an Olympic Village because the smaller mountain resorts do rarely have a university. Same for Denver, I think they'll do a bid with Vail.

I don't recall what the exact requirement is but the IOC has criteria that a second Olympic Village would have to be built if venues are a certain distance away from the main village. This applies to both summer and winter games.

I don't recall what the exact requirement is but the IOC has criteria that a second Olympic Village would have to be built if venues are a certain distance away from the main village. This applies to both summer and winter games.

= $ $ $

Archived