Almost as soon as the worst kept secret in hockey gets revealed, the game schedule for the men's hockey tournament follows right behind it..

Men’s Preliminary Round Schedule WED, FEB 12 1 12:00 PM ET Czech Republic vs. Sweden 2 12:00 PM ET Latvia vs. Switzerland THU, FEB 13 3 3:00 AM ET Finland vs. Austria 4 7:30 AM ET Russia vs. Slovenia 5 7:30 AM ET Slovakia vs. United States 6 12:00 PM ET Canada vs. Norway FRI, FEB 14 7 3:00 AM ET Czech Republic vs. Latvia 8 7:30 AM ET Sweden vs. Switzerland 9 12:00 PM ET Canada vs. Austria 10 12:00 PM ET Norway vs. Finland SAT, FEB 15 11 3:00 AM ET Slovakia vs. Slovenia 12 7:30 AM ET United States vs. Russia 13 12:00 PM ET Switzerland vs. Czech Republic 14 12:00 PM ET Sweden vs. Latvia SUN, FEB 16 15 3:00 AM ET Austria vs. Norway 16 7:30 AM ET Russia vs. Slovakia 17 7:30 AM ET Slovenia vs. United States 18 12:00 PM ET Finland vs. Canada Qualification play-off – TUE, FEB 18 19 3:00 AM ET TBD 20 7:30 AM ET TBD 21 12:00 PM ET TBD 22 12:00 PM ET TBD Quarterfinals – WED, FEB 19 23 3:00 AM ET TBD 24 7:30 AM ET TBD 25 12:00 PM ET TBD 26 12:00 PM ET TBD Semifinals – FRI, FEB 21 27 7:00 AM ET TBD 28 12:00 PM ET TBD Bronze Medal Game – SAT, FEB 22 29 10:00 AM ET TBD Gold Medal Game – SUN, FEB 23 30 7:00 AM ET TBD

Edit: whoops, that looked a lot better formatted on preview. Here's a link where that table looks a little better..

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/19/done-deal-nhl-to-participate-in-2014-winter-olympics/

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The biggest Russian names (Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk) have already said they'll be going no matter what. I'm sure the rest of the Russians will follow suit, regardless any threat of consequences.

The Good News: Olympic hockey significantly increases the audience for hockey in the US. The US/Canada 2010 final was one of the highest rated non-football team sports event of the last decade. Bigge

Baron, You really shoudl try watching hockey sometime, especially in person from good seats where you can see how big and fast these guys are. Amazing sport!

Not a big fan of the Canadian game times during the middle of the day. NBC for sure had a huge influence on the US games so that they could make way for figure skating coverage later on in he morning and early in the afternoon.

Not a big fan of the Canadian game times during the middle of the day. NBC for sure had a huge influence on the US games so that they could make way for figure skating coverage later on in he morning and early in the afternoon.

I'm guessing folks out west would prefer those game times to playing in games that start at 4:30am PT. And the Sunday game.. would you really rather have that early in the morning than nicely in the middle of the afternoon?

As for NBC's influence.. not sure how much they had over this one. Notice how the United States and Russia play all 3 of their games at 7:30am ET.. that might have more to do with the Russian's preferences than NBC. Has nothing to do with figure skating coverage.. there is ZERO chance of any meaningful figure skating coverage being shown anywhere outside of primetime on NBC (although most of the hockey coverage will be on NBC's cable networks anyway, so there wouldn't be a conflict)

I'm guessing folks out west would prefer those game times to playing in games that start at 4:30am PT. And the Sunday game.. would you really rather have that early in the morning than nicely in the middle of the afternoon?

As for NBC's influence.. not sure how much they had over this one. Notice how the United States and Russia play all 3 of their games at 7:30am ET.. that might have more to do with the Russian's preferences than NBC. Has nothing to do with figure skating coverage.. there is ZERO chance of any meaningful figure skating coverage being shown anywhere outside of primetime on NBC (although most of the hockey coverage will be on NBC's cable networks anyway, so there wouldn't be a conflict)

About NBC, they will be streaming all coverage online, so they clearly would have pushed men's hockey out of the way for figure skating.

Also, Canada has by far the easiest draw.

About NBC, they will be streaming all coverage online, so they clearly would have pushed men's hockey out of the way for figure skating.

Also, Canada has by far the easiest draw.

You don't know much about NBC, do you. The start times for figure skating have ZERO bearing on the start times for hockey. I am very confident of this fact.

You don't know much about NBC, do you. The start times for figure skating have ZERO bearing on the start times for hockey. I am very confident of this fact.

I guarantee I know as much as you do. The entire schedule revolves around NBC's preferences. Why do you think swimming finals were in the morning in Beijing? Team USA hockey games in 2010 were all early in the afternoon, which NBC did specifically to avoid conflicts with figure skating which was live in Primetime. Your right, the scheduling of hockey has nothing to do with the scheduling of figure skating, but the times that Team USA plays DOES. NBC can choose when they want the Americans to play, so that they can avoid conflicts with their most popular coverage.

Of course there won't be any meaningful figure skating live on tv, but It will all be online live.

I guarantee I know as much as you do. The entire schedule revolves around NBC's preferences. Why do you think swimming finals were in the morning in Beijing? Team USA hockey games in 2010 were all early in the afternoon, which NBC did specifically to avoid conflicts with figure skating which was live in Primetime. Your right, the scheduling of hockey has nothing to do with the scheduling of figure skating, but the times that Team USA plays DOES. NBC can choose when they want the Americans to play, so that they can avoid conflicts with their most popular coverage.

Of course there won't be any meaningful figure skating live on tv, but It will all be online live.

Yes and no. Yes, NBC got the swimming finals and a lot of the gymnastics moved to the morning. It's easily forgotten that NBC asked to move some diving and track & field finals plus the basketball final to U.S. primetime but failed on that front. NBC only has so much power.

As for hockey in 2010.. team USA played only 5 of their 6 games during the afternoon and that includes the gold medal game. Yes, that's certainly NBC's doing there, but I bet you they wanted the preliminary round game against Canada to be in the afternoon. They didn't get it because the host country gets priority if that want it. But the idea was to avoid primetime in general, not specifically figure skating (for which there isn't a huge crossover audience with figure skating). Of those 4 afternoon games (not including the final), only 2 were played on days/nights with figure skating.

Again, I don't know the rationale being the Sochi scheduling. I don't know how much influence NBC had or the host Russians or maybe even CBC. Normally there's a clear pecking order that either starts or ends with NBC. I don't see that here. Either way, I don't see the scheduling of U.S. games in the morning on the East coast (and the middle of the night on the West coast) as a clear sign they're trying to avoid figure skating.

Yes and no. Yes, NBC got the swimming finals and a lot of the gymnastics moved to the morning. It's easily forgotten that NBC asked to move some diving and track & field finals plus the basketball final to U.S. primetime but failed on that front. NBC only has so much power.

As for hockey in 2010.. team USA played only 5 of their 6 games during the afternoon and that includes the gold medal game. Yes, that's certainly NBC's doing there, but I bet you they wanted the preliminary round game against Canada to be in the afternoon. They didn't get it because the host country gets priority if that want it. But the idea was to avoid primetime in general, not specifically figure skating (for which there isn't a huge crossover audience with figure skating). Of those 4 afternoon games (not including the final), only 2 were played on days/nights with figure skating.

Again, I don't know the rationale being the Sochi scheduling. I don't know how much influence NBC had or the host Russians or maybe even CBC. Normally there's a clear pecking order that either starts or ends with NBC. I don't see that here. Either way, I don't see the scheduling of U.S. games in the morning on the East coast (and the middle of the night on the West coast) as a clear sign they're trying to avoid figure skating.

I find it odd Russia has all there games early i think 7:30 am east would be around 4:00 pm Russia time which if thats correct thats very strange.

Won't we all be missing 2 weeks of school, work, family life? ;)

Well looks like I will be missing two weeks of school :D

Won't we all be missing 2 weeks of school, work, family life? ;)

My grades suffered during the 2010 games (my worse semester ever, actually). I feel the same will happen during 2014. Good thing its my last semester and that by then grades don't really matter :P

• 3 weeks later...

Almost certainly all in late December. The last roster announced in Vancouver was January 1st.

BSrzzIyCUAAtKlg.jpg

Team USA and Nike unveil the 2014 US Olympic hockey jerseys at the US Olympic Orientattion Camp in Virginia. Cool nod to the historic jerseys from wayback in past Winter Olympics, after taking a page from what US Soccer did in 2010. There's this retro cool going on in recent years with US Olympic Team and Winter Olympics.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23347326/photo-usa-hockey-shows-off-sweater-for-sochi-olympics

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/27/team-usa-unveils-star-filled-2014-olympic-jerseys/

Really like the white Russia uniform, not a huge fan of the other Russian jersey or the American ones.

• 1 month later...

USA Hockey to announce Olympic rosters Jan. 1

USA Hockey announced on Monday that the rosters for the 2014 U.S. Olympic men's and women's ice hockey teams will be revealed during the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic on Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Details on the roster announcements will be made at a later date.

The 2014 Olympic tournament is scheduled Feb. 7-23, 2014, in Sochi, Russia. The size of the Olympic rosters has been increased from 23 to 25 for the Sochi tournament. It's very possible the United States men's team will have a roster breakdown of 13 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies.

The men's team, which will be coached by Dan Bylsma of the Pittsburgh Penguins, is coming off a silver medal-winning effort in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. The United States men's team has medaled in ice hockey only once since 1960 when the games aren't held in North America.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=684842

• 2 weeks later...

Czech Republic with Nike's help gone flag crazy with their unvieling of their Sochi hockey jerseys. Some cry sacrilege with Nike swoosh on the Czech flag abstracting it on a jersey. If Nike approves it, surely that must mean Nike's pleased with the final design for sellability. Also will the IOC allow the Czech Republic wear white against the Russian whites?

New-Czech-Republic-Jerseys-Olympics.jpg

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/10/07/czech-republic-2014-olympic-hockey-jerseys-unveiled/

Canada's were officially made known by Canada Hockey and Nike in Toronto yesterday. Just like what was leaked. Yeah, does remind me of the Petro-Canada logo on the white jersey.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/10/08/canada-nike-officially-unveil-olympic-hockey-jersey/

• 3 weeks later...

Good Ole Sweden's Tre Kronor classic-style yellow classic-style hockey jerseys, also made by Nike and with the IOC's and IIHF's approval, were made public today--and reported by Aftonbladet. But there's some flair in them because Nike is involved.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24137481/photo-swedens-gold-olympic-hockey-jerseys-revealed

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/landslag/article17726232.ab

• 2 weeks later...

Nike now shows off the Slovakian Olympic hockey jerseys--with the Slovakian anthem lyrics serving as horizontal pinstripes! Not only that, the Slovaks will wear these up to the 2017 World Championships.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/11/05/slovakia-unveils-jerseys-with-national-anthem-pinstripes/

• 1 month later...

OK, ? 4 hacki. Y is it a 22-man team when there are only 6 active players on FOP? That is one of the most bloated assemblages I have ever seen. Couldn't they do with a 16-man roster?? Why 17 people on reserve? Do they get hurt that much? If they had less covering, it wouldn't be as exhausting & u wouldn't need that many extra useless bodies in there.

83c1f48e6493.jpg