NHL participation in 2014?

Because traditionally professional hockey teams are made up of 4 forward lines, 3 defensive pairings and 2 goalies. However, since injuries are so common in hockey, there is one extra goalie and one extra defenceman to provide depth for the team so that they don't have to bring reserves over who don't play and serve no purpose (I.e. the extra player on the curling teams)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because traditionally professional hockey teams are made up of 4 forward lines, 3 defensive pairings and 2 goalies. However, since injuries are so common in hockey, there is one extra goalie and one extra defenceman to provide depth for the team so that they don't have to bring reserves over who don't play and serve no purpose (I.e. the extra player on the curling teams)

So that's only 11 people right there. But how come 22 players are suited up? What am I missing here from what u just told me??

So that's only 11 people right there. But how come 22 players are suited up? What am I missing here from what u just told me??

No 4 forward lines, which each consist of 3 people, so that's 12, and 3 defense pairings, which makes 6 defenceman, plus the 2 goalies, extra goalie and extra defenceman makes 22.

OK, ? 4 hacki. Y is it a 22-man team when there are only 6 active players on FOP? That is one of the most bloated assemblages I have ever seen. Couldn't they do with a 16-man roster?? Why 17 people on reserve? Do they get hurt that much? If they had less covering, it wouldn't be as exhausting & u wouldn't need that many extra useless bodies in there.

Hockey is a very grueling sport. It's the type of sport where there's a lot of contact and the athletes are known to sweat (and we know how much that bothers you). Over the course of the game, the majority of those 23 players with the exception of the 2 backup goalies are likely to get into the game, even though there are only 6 players on the ice at one time. Players substitute in and out of a game very quickly in hockey (unlike most other sports, they don't wait for a natural stoppage in play, many substitutions are made on the fly) in order to keep everyone fresh. In the NHL, rosters are the same size, 23 players. So too must it be for the Olympics. They wouldn't allow the rosters to be much smaller than that. So to have that many players is not a bloated assemblage. It's what is necessary to maintain the highest quality of the sport.

Hockey is a very grueling sport. It's the type of sport where there's a lot of contact and the athletes are known to sweat (and we know how much that bothers you). Over the course of the game, the majority of those 23 players with the exception of the 2 backup goalies are likely to get into the game, even though there are only 6 players on the ice at one time. Players substitute in and out of a game very quickly in hockey (unlike most other sports, they don't wait for a natural stoppage in play, many substitutions are made on the fly) in order to keep everyone fresh. In the NHL, rosters are the same size, 23 players. So too must it be for the Olympics. They wouldn't allow the rosters to be much smaller than that. So to have that many players is not a bloated assemblage. It's what is necessary to maintain the highest quality of the sport.

But like now, they've tightened the skeds for volleyball matches so teams MUST use nearly all of their players thruout the tournament...and NOT giving rest time just so the better players play and play -- why can't they let, say, 16 players just slog it out for ice hockey? I mean football/soccer has 22-person teams but they also field 11 players on the field -- so the ratio seems reasonable. Ice Hockey seems to be the most prima-donna-ish having like almost a 4-1 ratio of # on the bench vs. active players on the FOP. And if they cut it down to, say, 16 each x 24 teams...then that frees up more beds for other athletes. If it's too demanding, well, cut the hours of play.

But like now, they've tightened the skeds for volleyball matches so teams MUST use nearly all of their players thruout the tournament...and NOT giving rest time just so the better players play and play -- why can't they let, say, 16 players just slog it out for ice hockey? I mean football/soccer has 22-person teams but they also field 11 players on the field -- so the ratio seems reasonable. Ice Hockey seems to be the most prima-donna-ish having like almost a 4-1 ratio of # on the bench vs. active players on the FOP. And if they cut it down to, say, 16 each x 24 teams...then that frees up more beds for other athletes. If it's too demanding, well, cut the hours of play.

Soccer to hockey is a bad comparison. 3/4 of a starting soccer roster will play the entire game, while substitutions occur sparingly. In hockey, a "shift" on the ice lasts about 30-45 seconds, and then fresh players come on to the ice. This is because in soccer each player for the most part is covering a small portion of the field, while in hockey the general idea is that you go up on offense, back on defense and then come off and rest.

In the NHL the fourth line usually sees maybe 4-5 minutes of ice time per game because they are not as elite as the first three lines. They may be composed of what are called grinders or enforcers who might go onto the ice to physically challenge the other team. However, in an Olympic tournament, where most teams can field four solid lines (especially Canada, the US, Sweden), the extra amount of players are needed to back up any injured players, because Olympic teams don't have a "farm system" where they cannot call up extra players.

Really what it comes down to is hockey tradition. Professional hockey is played with 22 players and that's not changing.

Of course. So the right party wins.

Right, because judging is always fair. There's never anything shady, especially in figure skating.

baron, this is simply how hockey is played. Especially if they're using NHL players, they're going to want to play these games like they do here. That means a roster of 20+ players, even though only 6 are playing at any given time. I've never heard anyone call that prima-donna-ish of the sport. And that's even more important for an Olympic tournament where they're asking teams to play up to 7 games in an 11 day span, a much more rigorous schedule than these guys are normally subject to. Reducing the roster size would severely diminish the quality of play, so that's not a solution.

We get that you don't care for hockey any more than I care for figure skating, But don't insult the sport simply because you don't understand it or care for it.

Just as a general FYI for everyone, men's hockey teams in Sochi will actually have 25 players: 3 goalies, 12 forwoards, 6 defensments and 4 extra skaters (either forwoards or defensments).

Why stop at 25? Why not 30 or 40, to give everyone a free ride? Conceivably, they could seat two teams of 50 members each around the rink.

20 is really the minimum number for a hockey team (2 goalies, 12 forwards, 6 defensmen). The additional goaltender and the four additional skaters are en lieu of allowing substitutions in case of injury. Seems like about the right number to me, tbh (in comparison, the women's teams only have 21 players).

20 is really the minimum number for a hockey team (2 goalies, 12 forwards, 6 defensmen). The additional goaltender and the four additional skaters are en lieu of allowing substitutions in case of injury. Seems like about the right number to me, tbh (in comparison, the women's teams only have 21 players).

Part of the issue is that the players in the men's tournament are obligated to stay with their NHL teams until February 7th or 8th. So most of them won't even be able to attend the Opening Ceremony. As such, they need those extra spots depending on who is going to be able to come over for the Olympics. I remember for the `02 tournament in Salt Lake, a couple of teams playing in the preliminary round got in trouble because certain players weren't available for all of the games. Having more roster spots would have helped that.

They could get away with 20, but that hamstrings some countries considering they don't all assemble until a day or 2 before they play their first games.

Part of the issue is that the players in the men's tournament are obligated to stay with their NHL teams until February 7th or 8th. So most of them won't even be able to attend the Opening Ceremony. As such, they need those extra spots depending on who is going to be able to come over for the Olympics. I remember for the `02 tournament in Salt Lake, a couple of teams playing in the preliminary round got in trouble because certain players weren't available for all of the games. Having more roster spots would have helped that.

They could get away with 20, but that hamstrings some countries considering they don't all assemble until a day or 2 before they play their first games.

Men's hockey doesn't start till the 12th.

Men's hockey doesn't start till the 12th.

I know. They don't have the conflicts in Sochi like they did in Salt Lake. Those went away when they got rid of the preliminary round/first round format. That said, you're still talking about players who can't even travel to Sochi until the 9th which means they won't even get there until the 10th. Pretty tight schedule for teams first playing on the 12th.

The extra player in curling does play, only one or two games at the most. They are there in case of injury and also can act like a second coach.

I think in 2010 the healthy scratches didn't suit up. It'll probably be the same this time around. For example I can't see the 3rd goalie dressing up for a game, nor the 8th defenceman, etc. They're more likely to fulfill an insurance role and give the starters someone to deke in practice.

I think in 2010 the healthy scratches didn't suit up. It'll probably be the same this time around. For example I can't see the 3rd goalie dressing up for a game, nor the 8th defenceman, etc. They're more likely to fulfill an insurance role and give the starters someone to deke in practice.

They have to or no medal.

Archived