The news is just breaking.

Kim Jong Il, the second-generation North Korean dictator who defied global condemnation to build nuclear weapons while his people starved, has died, Yonhap News reported. He was 70.

The news came in a radio broadcast at noon local time, Yonhap reported, citing North Korea’s official media. Kim probably had a stroke in August 2008 and may have also contracted pancreatic cancer, according to South Korean news reports.

The son of Kim Il Sung, North Korea’s founder, Kim was a chain-smoking recluse who ruled for 17 years after coming to power in July 1994 and resisted opening up to the outside world in order to protect his regime. The potential succession of his little-known third son, Kim Jong Un, threatens to trigger a dangerous period for the Korean peninsula, where 1.7 million troops from the two Koreas and the U.S. square off every day.

“Kim Jong Il inherited a genius for playing the weak hand and by keeping the major powers nervous, continuing his father’s tradition of turning Korea’s history of subservience on its head,” said Michael Breen, the Seoul-based author of “Kim Jong Il: North Korea’s Dear Leader,” a biography. “We have entered an uncertain moment with North Korea.”

Lampooned by foreign cartoonists and filmmakers for his weight, his zippered jumpsuits, his aviator sunglasses and his bouffant hairdo, Kim cut a more serious figure in his rare dealings with world leaders outside the Communist bloc.

Bloomberg

I guess he didn't want Vaclav Havel to hog all the attention.

Of course, I expect him to post here any moment to dispel the false southern slanders!

kim-jong-il-relaxing1.jpg

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wah! Heaven look like hotel in Beijing! Silly Belgian gay media - mighty Juche God not dead! Merely ruse so can go to Hong Kong Disneyland! Mark my words! Kim never die!

Satan! You half-baked aggressor! Such a provocation will be regarded as a declaration of war! Just found button marked "Nuke Seoul". Wonder what this do??

I hope he have got a ticket straight to hell.

Just saw Kim Il Sung - he said you a dick! Wah! No dog on room service! St Regis gone way downhill. Hang on - guy wearing red with horns trying to get into suite.

I am not part of your philosophical ramblings! You will quiver at the sight of my Juche superiority.

Air con really bad in this room. So hot and flame.

I'm normaly not happy when someone dies, except for this cases.

Honestly, I hope he has a special place in hell and suffers forever for all the people he murdered and killed.

I don't think North Korea will change fast (that would be silly) but i do hope his son is more open minded and at least follows the China model.

It seems christmas came earlier than usual :3

Fantastic news, another sadistic dictator has been summoned to hell. May his victims rest in peace and i am praying that the people of North Korea rise up for democracy.

Fantastic news, another sadistic dictator has been summoned to hell. May his victims rest in peace and i am praying that the people of North Korea rise up for democracy.

Democracy wont happen soon, sadly. But if the rumours are right, his son will be more open minded and not sttuborn like a mule like his father/grandfather.

What a state of chaos going on right now. Countries in emergency meetings to military personnel on high alert. Can't wait for the bombs to start flying in the skies. :rolleyes: In other words, nothing will change, unless the competing parties want to and that seems very unlikely. <_< Habits are very hard to break, when it comes to humanity.

i'm not happy cuz of someone's dead, all i wana say is that apologizing him (God) is something really difficult! Just worried that it might was still an easy dead, i mean all the stuff he made deserved a more cruel way to die...

So, it certainly has been a year of the fall of dictators...

Ben Ali, Tunisa

Hosni Mubarak, Egypt

Muammar Gaddafi, Libya

Ali Abdullah Saleh, Yemen

Kim Jong-il, North Korea

Now all (at least the bigger ones) that is left is...

Bashar al-Assad, Syria

Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe

Omar al-Bashir, Sudan

Hugo Chavez, Venezuela

Sadly, even though these leaders were removed (or died), their countries don't seem to be ready to get competent, sane and non corrupt people in power. So history is ripe to continue to repeat itself no matter who is in power.

So, it certainly has been a year of the fall of dictators...

Ben Ali, Tunisa

Hosni Mubarak, Egypt

Muammar Gaddafi, Libya

Ali Abdullah Saleh, Yemen

Kim Jong-il, North Korea

Bashar al-Assad, Syria

Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe

Omar al-Bashir, Sudan

Hugo Chavez, Venezuela

Sadly, even though these leaders were removed (or died), their countries don't seem to be ready to get competent, sane and non corrupt people in power. So history is ripe to continue to repeat itself no matter who is in power.

I highly doubt there will be someone worse than Gadaffi in Libya for the longest time...

Bashar al-Assad, Syria

Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe

Omar al-Bashir, Sudan

Hugo Chavez, Venezuela

Chavez is just a clown...he is not threatful. I don't think he even deserves to be on the list :P

• Like 1

I can't even say I'm happy about these news -- firstly, because of the uncertainty which kind of regime Kim Jong Un will create (or maintain) and because of the uncertainty also for South Korea. And secondly, I regret the death of our forum's Kim Jong Il. I hope, too, that he sends us messages from the hereafter once in a while. ;)

I highly doubt there will be someone worse than Gadaffi in Libya for the longest time...

Chavez is just a clown...he is not threatful. I don't think he even deserves to be on the list :P

You're right, Chavez is not too threatening, and he is a clown, but I guess you never know with someone who wants to be in power for decades...

celebrate.jpg

I've been waiting for this day for a long time! Change may take years, maybe a decade, maybe more, but at least now there's a chance things may change, whether for better or for worse. Things were never going to change under Kim Jong Il.

And this thread is hilarious!

• Like 1

The only people in the world who will be mourning his death will be the very people who have become poorer, hungrier and more fearful through his leadership...because they know no better. What a legacy.

Change may take years, maybe a decade, maybe more, but at least now there's a chance things may change, whether for better or for worse. Things were never going to change under Kim Jong Il.

Uhhhm... Do you really consider it positive news that things might also change for worse?

Uhhhm... Do you really consider it positive news that things might also change for worse?

Things need to change one way or the other. I'll gladly take the chance that things may change for the worse if there's also the chance that things may change for the better. Right now, ANYTHING is better than the status quo.

People say Kim Jong Un is as ruthless as his father, but maybe, just maybe, he's different deep down inside. Unlike his father, he grew up in the 90's, a time during which there was no question the South was better off than the North. He was educated in Switzerland. Maybe he'll end up being another Gorbachev one day. Maybe once he consolidates power, he'll want to take big steps to cooperate with the South despite what the military thinks. Then again, maybe he'll be another Stalin. It's worth finding out.