A picture from where you live

/\/\ Victor, the climate must be quite pleasant. What is Maceio's population and ranking in Brazilian cities? (I know I could probably look it up...but let's hear your version...)

Well, Maceió is the 17th largest brazilian city with some 930.000 inhabitants with a 1.3 million+ metro area. It's a mid-sized city by brazilian standards. The population almost doubled from 1980 to 2000 so there is a density issue going on... Maceió is a tourism and vacation hotspot for those wanting to relax and enjoy great seafood. The city is the 'coldest' among Northeastern capitals with 25°C throughout the year with rainy winters and dry summers. Maceió is limited by warm ocean on east and south and a lake in the west so temperatures never change much in low town. Upper Maceió is more windy and bearable than the beach area during humid days.

Here is a shot taken from upper city (I can se my house!)

34he1oz.jpg

Here you can see the 'fake peninsula' shape of the town and Mundaú (moon-da-OO) Lake on the upper right side of the pic.

2hgfhat.jpg

And this is a sunset during winter. The heavy clouds spread this yellow light, which turns to pink then fades and it all looks beautiful. BTW, most people hold a bad idea about tropical winter as being a not so beautiful season. That's not true as we have pretty cool cloud effects B) Where are the cloudy pics of Rio de Janeiro?

j67r11.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh this is far too fun. Since Bosphorus is a strait.

Oh god yes, please do post more "cloud" pics of Rio, if there's anything that may fascinate us it's one more "cloud" picture of Rio.

There's not much use posting pics of tourist Sydney - you all know what it looks like: a harbour, a bridge, a big funny white building, a few dozen beaches. And the suburb where I live is night, but n

I`ll post some cloud pics in Rio threads later, now it's time to know more about your well-known beautiful city (at least, among Brazilians).

Both Maceió and Aracaju (nearby, but in Sergipe state) worths a visit, as well, some other nice Brazilian cities and small towns in Northeastern coast of the country.

It's totally different from some "cosmopolitan-like" Rio and Sao Paulo atmosphere, which is great.wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

neah u know i live in istanbul and all u know the main city from postcards and videos. but where i live is in asian side of the city and named as Istanbul- Caddebostan. one of the most expensive avenues in turkey may be the most expensive.

here some pics.

the sea side where i jogg everymorning

caddebostan.jpg

spooky when its sooo windy

Caddebostan_shore_by_justuur.jpg

the tulip season

Ba%C4%9Fdat_Caddesi_2.jpg

and rose season at rose garden..

goztepe-parki_227013.jpg

the new year decorations

22+aral%25C4%25B1k+10.jpg

21501_BnHover.jpg

valentines day decorations :D

falling_love_by_secho.jpg

neah u know i live in istanbul and all u know the main city from postcards and videos. but where i live is in asian side of the city and named as Istanbul- Caddebostan. one of the most expensive avenues in turkey may be the most expensive.

I didn't realise modern Istanbul extended to the Asian side. Historically, the city was always entirely within Europe!

Yep, I dipped my toe into Asia for the first time earlier this year on the Bosphorous tour. Stopped off at a little town on the Asian side of the city and had a lovely bit of fish and a glass of white wine. Very nice too.

Nearly all the touristy stuff is in Europe though. Didn't spend long in Asia, apart from at the airport and at our stop off on the river tour.

Yep, I dipped my toe into Asia for the first time earlier this year on the Bosphorous tour. Stopped off at a little town on the Asian side of the city and had a lovely bit of fish and a glass of white wine. Very nice too.

Nearly all the touristy stuff is in Europe though. Didn't spend long in Asia, apart from at the airport and at our stop off on the river tour.

its not a river :/ lol:D really dont call bosphorus a river its a sea road. but there is a undersea river at bosphorus which is unique and just in here all in the world...

old İstanbul is old peninsula, pera area ( taksim ) and Usküdar in asian side... the place i live is one the vegetable and fruit fields and after 1800s the pashas and other important people start to build mansions on that road. like the one u see in the wavey black and white pic i post.

now istanbul is about 12 million people and 7 is in european side. but nothing touristic in asian side except prince islands and some old byzantium palace ruins in Kucukyalı archeologic park :)( and palaces, military buildings at bosphorus side)

İts a huge city guys... really huge... larger than paris and london nearly 5 times larger than barcelona and rome... believe me

Of course it is, my apologies! :mellow:

dont take it too serious :) but all tourists visit here says i had a boat tour on the river.. and makes us a bit confused

do we have a river and making boat tours ? :D lol

Well, Istanbul may be the only major alpha city in the world that is split by a sea whereas MOST other cities have rivers running thru them, which is why tourists/visitors would say they took the 'river' cruise. Just a matter of semantix.

biiip another correction...

its the only city which a sea passes inside of and divides into 2 :)

but i get your point...

It's all a matter of view point... From a person in Manaus (Amazon state capital), the Amazon RIVER is an ocean (you almost can't see the other side), from a person in Istanbul, the SEA looks tiny like a river...

It's all a matter of view point... From a person in Manaus (Amazon state capital), the Amazon RIVER is an ocean (you almost can't see the other side), from a person in Istanbul, the SEA looks tiny like a river...

its a matter of geography :)

oh for god's sake, you're being insufferable. river, sea whatever. it's not that wide and it functionally serves the city like rivers do in other cities. no reason to lapse into hysterics every time someone forgets to go out of their way to recognize a relatively pointless piece of trivia.

save it for the guided tour.

I think those special geographic "curious points" make places even more special. wink.gif

The same stuf is in Montevideo and Buenos Aires right?

In Buenos Aires you can see in a very clear day the other margin of Plate River, 42 Km away, but in Montevideo, actually, it's already open sea, despite some tour guides talking about the widest river in the world there... Anyway, the other "margin" is 270 Km away from Montevideo.

oh for god's sake, you're being insufferable. river, sea whatever. it's not that wide and it functionally serves the city like rivers do in other cities. no reason to lapse into hysterics every time someone forgets to go out of their way to recognize a relatively pointless piece of trivia.

save it for the guided tour.

call me when people start to say Thames sea or Seine Sea ...

its not about insufferable but to make a correction.

no body dies to learn st new for themselves.

• Like 1

call me when people start to say Thames sea or Seine Sea ...

its not about insufferable but to make a correction.

no body dies to learn st new for themselves.

you're missing the point. nobody ever would make that mistake, because it's a ridiculous one to make. if, as you say, istanbul is the only city dissected by a sea, not a river, then few would be likely to confuse a city's river with a sea. the reverse, however, is a common error--it inverts our normal thinking about cities and bodies of water.

you cross over to insufferableness when feel the need to go out of your way to correct an insignificant little flaw - ok ok istanbul is the only city with a sea running through it - which was nearly unrelated to baron's real point that it's largely semantics, and then once more you offer in your 2 cents with danny's very valid point that it's really all about perspectives. "oh no it's not," you seem to say, "it's white and black geography."

as if danny and baron's points are meaningless because they don't fully take into account this very trivial geographic anomaly, as if by not making a special point of the fact that istanbul has a sea running through it and not a river we are somehow depriving istanbul of one of its most unique, distinguishing features. but the fact is, it looks like a river, it acts like a river for its city's inhabitants and it - for all intents and purposes - may as well be a river, so after posting "i get your point" it's quite obvious that no, you really don't.

it's a nice bit of obscure trivia that you're taking far too personally, especially as this whole kerfuffle was caused by a comment referencing a 'river' cruise, which is fundamentally different from an ocean/sea cruise. when traveling through istanbul, the cruise likely shares a lot more in common with actual river cruises than sea cruises, so saying 'sea cruise' instead would probably be just as misleading.

Edited by krow

The same stuf is in Montevideo and Buenos Aires right?

Those are 2, separate, distinct cities, and of different sovereign states yet...but Istanbul is ONE city; one jurisdiction.

What u may be referring to are like Budapest and Vienna...or Malmo and Copenhagen, which is separated by a str8.

Oh this is far too fun. Since Bosphorus is a strait.

R u sure there are no "gay" currents or cruises plying it? :lol::lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV