Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gangwon

Could the old way of a Summer and Winter Olympics in the same year survive today?

Imagine the IOC decided to begin having the Summer and Winter Games in the same year again beginning from 2020, with a 4 year wait until the next double Olympics in 2024. Could the IOC pull it off again, or has the world's attention span become too short to wait 4 years for an Olympics? FIFA pulls it off with the World Cup, but football is never far from the public eye with or without the World Cup.

My first memory of the Games was Barcelona, so I missed out on Albertville and thus have never experienced an Olympics in the same year, followed by a 4 year wait. Personally, I like the way it is now because I don't know any better, but I would think there was something special back then about waiting 4 years for Olympic overdrive beginning in February and ending in July/August. What do you Gen X'ers think? Was it more special back then?

No, simply cuz the Youth Olympics occur during the same year.

+ I wouldn't want to see it revert back to a 4 year cycle.

I vastly prefer the current system. 4 years is too long. This way is much better for the Olympic brand and for the sponsors. I don't see any advantage to reverting to the old system. As it is I'm a bit glum in odd-numbered years.... At least there are IOC voting sessions to tide us over....

its better this sistem, cuz the other one will be 4 years without olympics D: and the YOG arent to emotinant... So its better this way.

If I remember, there was two reasons for the change:

The sponsors wanted to have a more visible product

The winter IFs wanted to come out from under the shadow of their much larger brother.

So it is here to stay and it is a good system, it allows almost constant visibility of the brand and allows for broadcasters and sponsors to utilize their investment more.

As I understand it, a lot of the push to split the Winter from the Summer was the TV rights holders, that it would be easier for them to have the Olympics in separate years rather than lump them together. Based on that, I don't think they'll ever revert to both Olympics coming in the same year. It's simply not as profitable.

I wonder if FIFA had any objection with the IOC encroaching on "their" non-leap-year-even years.

Jeremie once made a good point that alternating the SOG and WOG in different years and choosing the hosts 7 years beforehand allowed for a major IOC event to happen every year. It certainly keeps the motor on this forum running.

Jeremie once made a good point that alternating the SOG and WOG in different years and choosing the hosts 7 years beforehand allowed for a major IOC event to happen every year. It certainly keeps the motor on this forum running.

^ ^ good point!!! :)

Maybe the WOG do not have a great impact with a WC... Specially the dates stuff....Also the WC is always gonna be the most watched event in those years...

I much prefer the two-year stagger. It was always great that one year when there were both games, but it was an eternity waiting for the next ones. Plus, there was nothing like the coverage that we have today, so most of the Olympic sports disappeared off the map.

How about the older folk? The 60's and 70's babies. Do I have to name names? Rols, Baron, let's start with you. ;)

It works for me, as was sad up thread. You have something Olympic every year this way, be it a host city vote or an actual Olympics, Winter or Summer.

I keep hoping the IOC can work out a television deal for the Youth Olympics, otherwise their profile is not likely to rise.

How about the older folk? The 60's and 70's babies. Do I have to name names? Rols, Baron, let's start with you. ;)

Great - just what I needed - to be thought of as one of the GB decrepit oldies!

:unsure:

I thought a lot of the reasoning for the shift to every second year was to do with the sponsorships, so sponsors could spread their investments out rather than have to a heavy lop-sided expense every four years. I'd imagine it would be extremely difficult to revert back now, and I reckon it would have a huge negative impact now on the teyps of revenues the events are used to getting these days.

And apart from that, I agree with what people here have said - it's good to have something to look forward to every second year now.

Great - just what I needed - to be thought of as one of the GB decrepit oldies!

:unsure:

LOL - thanks for the laugh out loud. But hey, I did try using the more subtle "Gen X" term but no one bit.

Anyway, as someone who generally doesn't like change, I'm surprised in the sense that the consensus of the preference for alternating years is greater than I originally thought it would be here on these boards.

I'd imagine that splitting the Games also splits the massive workload for the IOC, & other entities. Can't imagine having that big of a headache in one year, then just twiddling your thumbs the next 4.

And since I only know the Olympics from after the split, I like the system the way it is now. Keeps it moving continuously & with interest. But I'd imagine the real die-hard Summer & Winter sport people still have to wait the full 4 years for their respective seasonal Olympic sports competition.

I wonder if FIFA had any objection with the IOC encroaching on "their" non-leap-year-even years.

Yes, alternating SOG & YOG are a good things, and to get the election the year without games is also interesting.

But now that we have the Youth Olympic Games, I would prefer to have them the year without SOG & WOG.... To get really an Olympic Competition every year, and to make it easy for international spectators to attends all of those events (more olympic fan would attend the YOG, if they were not organize the same year of another Games they already attend !).

this 2-year sistem is better because it keep us here entretained ;) also it is more watched on tv if you dont wait to much to see an olympiad. For example if you see London 2012 and Sochi 2012 (lets prettend) may people with no knowledge might say that theyve already have seen the olympics not caring if its summer or winter.

I'm the tail end of Gen X, born 1978 and I still thInk the current system is best. There's s very clear rhythm to it with either Games or an election every year.

Rols, Baron, let's start with you. ;)

I think they should be moved to the odd years. So like 1991, 1995, 1999 for the Summer and put the Winters in the old Summer years.

Well,...yeah...duh!! :unsure: Of course, the new arrangement works for everybody around. I mean...wasn't it obvious enough that it has to be asked? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think they should be moved to the odd years. So like 1991, 1995, 1999 for the Summer and put the Winters in the old Summer years.

Well,...yeah...duh!! :unsure: Of course, the new arrangement works for everybody around. I mean...wasn't it obvious enough that it has to be asked? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why odd years? Any particular reason?

So, if FIFA moves Qatar's WC to the winter months, how do you think that would affect the 2022 Winter Games?

Why odd years? Any particular reason?

uhmmm...I was being facetious. I mean WHO questioned the new order? Nobody because it agrees with EVERYBODY!

So, if FIFA moves Qatar's WC to the winter months, how do you think that would affect the 2022 Winter Games?

It's NOT going to happen.

Qatar would prob have to go in January, and the WOG in February. There's no flipping way Qatar will play in the summer, and you can't have them going on at once either.

Qatar would prob have to go in January, and the WOG in February. There's no flipping way Qatar will play in the summer, and you can't have them going on at once either.

I don't see how there's any way they can move it winter. What would happen with the professional leagues? FIFA needs to deal with their own decision and hold Qatar to their air-conditioned stadia proposal.

I don't see how there's any way they can move it winter. What would happen with the professional leagues? FIFA needs to deal with their own decision and hold Qatar to their air-conditioned stadia proposal.

Well, Qatar seems to want to stick to the July date too, so it can show off its A/C prowess.