TOKYO 2020 Venue Plan

The addition of women's water polo necessitates the need for a second competition pool. I believe that has been the case since Beijing. As for Tokyo, if they do decide to scrap the proposed aquatic center, I would guess they will try something similar to what Los Angeles is proposing for their 2024 bid, take an existing stadium and configure it for swimming and diving, the Tokyo Dome maybe?

On 10/26/2016 at 10:37 PM, stryker said:

The addition of women's water polo necessitates the need for a second competition pool. I believe that has been the case since Beijing. As for Tokyo, if they do decide to scrap the proposed aquatic center, I would guess they will try something similar to what Los Angeles is proposing for their 2024 bid, take an existing stadium and configure it for swimming and diving, the Tokyo Dome maybe?

The private owners of the Tokyo Dome have opted out of the 2020 Olympics.  There will be no Olympic events there.  Period.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1043077/tokyo-2020-urged-to-press-ahead-with-construction-of-volleyball-venue

So now the FIVB wants the planned Ariake Arena to go ahead with construction. Can't say I'm surprised, although, using Tokyo Big Sight would seem to be a viable less expensive option. I can't see why the FIVB would be opposed to that. Looks like the uncertainty over venues for swimming, volleyball, and rowing could be resolved by the end of the month. My guess is that when all the plans are finalized, Tokyo will end up with one new permanent arena (the one for gymnastics). Frankly, the city doesn't really need another.

Alternative Olympic rowing/canoe site unlikely to be ready by 2020

The potential staging of rowing/canoe sprint events in Miyagi Prefecture during the 2020 Tokyo Games was dealt a blow Friday when a Tokyo metropolitan government department pointed out preparation of the site being considered might not be completed in time, a source close to the matter said.

Naganuma rowing course in Tome in Miyagi—one of the prefectures hit hardest by the 2011 quake and tsunami—has been proposed as an alternative to Sea Forest Waterway in Tokyo Bay following a report compiled by panel set up by Tokyo Gov. Yuriko Koike to review the snowballing estimated cost of the Games.

The panel recommended the planned venues for swimming, volleyball and rowing/canoe sprint be scaled down or scrapped altogether. But a Tokyo municipal government department has subsequently concluded that refurbishing the Naganuma site could not be completed in time for the Games given the time needed to buy land and carry out an environmental impact assessment, according to the source.

For three days beginning next Tuesday, a working group comprised of representatives from the International Olympic Committee, Tokyo metropolitan and Japanese governments, and the Games organizing committee will hold discussions on the proposed new venues. The four-party group was proposed by IOC President Thomas Bach to Koike last week.

IOC executive director Christophe Dubi is expected to preside over the group to discuss measures to slash costs on construction as well as security and transport.

Koike, who originally said the metropolitan government should come up with a proposal by the end of this month, revealed she has been in constant contact with Bach since their talks on Oct 18 and is likely to put forward several ideas on Nov 1 to keep options open, at the IOC’s request.

“I’ve been asked by the IOC ‘to have discussion before narrowing it down to one proposal,’ so there’ve been changes (from what I had in mind),” Koike said. “We’ll put together several options and seek the solution through a four-way discussion.”

“At the same time I’m not sure about tossing out all sorts of ideas. We have to narrow it down to a certain extent if we are not to miss the last chance to reexamine venues.”

The outside panel—which estimates hosting expenses could top 3 trillion yen ($28.5 billion)—is looking at ways of setting up Sea Forest Waterway as a permanent facility with reduced costs, building it as a temporary site to be removed after the Games or turning Naganuma into a permanent facility.

© KYODO

https://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/alternative-olympic-rowingcanoe-site-unlikely-to-be-ready-by-2020

If they are so scared of costs and stuff why did they bid for the Olympics on the first place? They should had known what was coming to them. No offense but you can tell they really had no plans to deal with the inevitable escalation in costs. 

• Like 2

On 30/10/2016 at 3:58 AM, Ikarus360 said:

If they are so scared of costs and stuff why did they bid for the Olympics on the first place? They should had known what was coming to them. No offense but you can tell they really had no plans to deal with the inevitable escalation in costs. 

Olympic cost escalation comes in two different flavours. First is escalation from bid estimates, which is pretty much inevitable given the fixed timing (allowing the OCOG to be, in effect, held to ransom). What Tokyo's facing is the more serious type of cost escalation- absolute inflation over the cost of previous Games. For summer Olympics, Tokyo looks set to be far more expensive than London or Rio.

• Like 1

Proposals to curb Olympic costs

A Tokyo Metropolitan government panel has made multiple proposals for sporting venues at the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The panel has been reviewing potential sites to curb ballooning costs. It presented its final report at the city hall on Tuesday. Governor Yuriko Koike has accepted the proposals.

The panel recommended that the Olympic Aquatics Center, to be built in Tokyo's Koto Ward, should either use the current plan, with seating for 20,000 spectators, or a scaled down version with room for 15,000.

The report didn't include the option of using existing facilities in the ward, because of a shortage of seats.

The panel suggested 3 options for rowing and canoe-kayak events. These include the construction of a facility with either permanent or temporary seating, in Tokyo's waterfront area. The third option is to use existing facilities in Miyagi Prefecture, northeastern Japan. The report included construction and maintenance costs.

The panel suggested a scaling down of the Ariake Arena, in Koto ward for volleyball or using the Yokohama Arena.

Koike will discuss the proposals in 4-way talks with the city, the Tokyo organizing committee, the IOC and Japan's government.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20161101_14/

• 2 weeks later...

Tokyo 2020 organisers approve baseball-softball in Fukushima

TOKYO, Nov 9 (Reuters) - Japan's Fukushima Prefecture could play a part in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics after organisers on Wednesday approved a plan to hold part of the baseball-softball competition in the disaster-hit region.

The prefecture was devastated by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami that triggered the world's largest nuclear disaster since Chernobyl in 1986.

Baseball is returning to the Olympics for the first time since Beijing 2008 and organisers are keen to play a part in helping the region - parts of which are still uninhabitable - get back on its feet.

International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach raised the possibility of Fukushima opening the baseball-softball competition at the World Forum on Sport and Culture in Tokyo last month.

The prefecture is one of three proposed venues, along with the cities of Koriyama and Iwaki. The IOC will take a final decision at a meeting of its executive board in December.

Fukushima governor Masao Uchibori said he had been told by Yoshiro Mori, head of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic organising committee, that the process to bring the baseball competition to Fukushima had begun.

"I was told by president Mori that the proceedings to host baseball and softball in Fukushima Prefecture have officially started," Uchibori said, adding that Fukushima would lobby to host other Olympic events as well.

"We will now work with the organising committee to decide on the location and do everything we can to make the event a success in Fukushima Prefecture.

"Along with the baseball and softball, we have also asked about the torch relay as well as training camps for the soccer teams. We want to be involved in various events, which will hopefully help add to the atmosphere of the Olympics."

The president of the World Baseball Softball Confederation, Riccardo Fraccari, will visit Japan next week for an inspection tour of the proposed venues

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics-tokyo-2020-organisers-approve-baseball-softball-fukushima-162906001--mlb.html

^^^

WBSC President to inspect Fukushima before making any decision on Tokyo 2020 venues

World Baseball Softball Federation (WBSC) President Riccardo Fraccari has dismissed speculation that Tokyo 2020 matches could be played in Fukashima as premature.

The official told insidethegames that no decision will be made until after he has inspected the region during a visit next week.

He also made a similar declaration to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) here during the ongoing International Federations (IF) Forum.

This follows reports yesterday that Tokyo 2020 organisers had agreed to host games in the area 280 kilometres north of the capital city, which was affected by the 2011 spillage at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.

Fukushima Governor Masao Uchibori declared after a meeting with Tokyo 2020 President Yoshirō Mori that they will now "work with the Organising Committee to decide on the location and do everything...to make the event a success".

But Fraccari said that it was incorrect to assume that this means the region has been confirmed.

"No decision has yet been made," he said.

"I will go to Japan next week and then we will let you know."

Tokyo 2020 sports director Koji Murofushi confirmed to insidethegames today that a final decision rests with the WBSC and has not yet been made.

At this stage there is no definite timeline for a decision.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1043532/wbsc-president-to-inspect-fukushima-before-making-any-decision-on-tokyo-2020-venues

World baseball chief plays down Fukushima Olympic fears

The president of world baseball’s governing body on Friday played down fears that the sport’s top stars will refuse to play in Fukushima if the nuclear disaster-hit prefecture hosts games at the 2020 Olympics.

Olympic chiefs are currently considering a proposal to play part of the Tokyo 2020 baseball and softball competition in Fukushima Prefecture, which in 2011 suffered the world’s worst nuclear accident in 25 years when the Great East Japan Earthquake triggered a meltdown at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

The prefecture successfully hosted games at the Under-15 Baseball World Cup in the city of Iwaki this summer, and World Baseball Softball Confederation President Riccardo Fraccari believes senior teams will not be deterred from playing there in 2020 should its bid to host games be accepted.

“This can be an issue, but from the data I received, the situation at this moment is not dangerous in Fukushima,” said Fraccari, who held talks with Tokyo 2020 organizers in Tokyo on Friday and will visit the prefecture on Saturday to inspect potential venues.

“Even at the last Under-15 World Cup, only one country refused to come. But the rest were there. In three years — just now the situation is good, so I think from this point there won’t be any problem for countries to come to Fukushima.”

Fraccari must give his consent to the prefecture’s bid before it can be put before the International Olympic Committee, which will make a final decision when it holds its executive board meeting from Dec. 6 to 8.

Three venues in the prefecture are under consideration — Iwaki Green Stadium in Iwaki, Azuma Baseball Stadium of the city of Fukushima and Koriyama Kaiseizan Baseball Stadium in Koriyama.

“From the perspective of the WBSC, I know the importance of baseball and softball in Japan, and I know how we can facilitate the recovery from the disaster,” said Italian Fraccari. “If the field in Fukushima has all the requirements, we can take it into consideration and analyze internally the possibility.

“But I repeat, we have to check many things because we have to see how it’s possible to include it in the schedule, the distance, the fields. There are many issues and we won’t take any decision yet.”

Baseball and softball were voted onto the 2020 program as a joint bid after an absence of 12 years at an IOC session in Rio de Janeiro in August ahead of the Summer Games. The format of the competitions has yet to be decided.

Nippon Professional Baseball has agreed to suspend play for the duration of the July 24 to Aug. 9 Tokyo Olympics, but Major League Baseball has yet to say whether it will cooperate.

“There is, even from the major leagues, a desire to be more international,” said Fraccari. “Now we are discussing, but before we discuss we need to have the details of the tournament, the details of the schedule. I think that we can find a solution to have the best games possible.”

Fraccari also played down suggestions that pressure to agree to Fukushima’s proposal, which was floated by IOC President Thomas Bach during a visit to Tokyo last month, will affect his decision.

“I used to be an umpire, so I know what it means to be under pressure,” he said.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/11/18/national/world-baseball-chief-plays-fukushima-olympic-fears/#.WC7lHyTF8ks

10 hours ago, Faiyez said:

Why is this news.

Baseball's top stars won't play in the Olympics and it's not because a venue is in Fukushima, but because Olympic baseball is irrelevant.

It's news because Japan is pretty much the only country outside North/Central America which really cares about baseball.

10 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

It's news because Japan is pretty much the only country outside North/Central America which really cares about baseball.

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And Cuba, Nicaragua and the Dom Republic.  But they are all minnows.  

And at least one of them is definitely in Central America (and the others sort-of are, in the same way that Ireland is in Europe).

- but I've given intoronto a Like for South Korea & Venezuela !