The LATIN label... I don't even know what it really means. A generalization, exactly like saying Atlanta, Sydney and London are all anglo-saxon.

Madrid is Castilian unlike Barcelona, not more "latin", that again doesn't make much sense. Catalans also "travelled" to the Americas. Shakira discovered she has some Catalan origins. :P

Any Spaniard understands spoken Italian much easier than spoken Portuguese. Wrong assumptions.

Exactlly my point

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

China and Brazil have poverty on scales not seen in Span. Spain's Games would not be a failure, they are a rich country even with the financial problems, with most venues and much infrastructure alrea

The positive I can glean from this...and thinking about the recent similar stadium episodes are that...people are finally starting to think that Olympic stadia are near-white elephants but people must

Works on the new Atlético de Madrid stadium started in October and it should be finished by 2016 (in theory, of course...).

i really have my doubts with this stadium and its construction... D you remember what happened to Nou Mestalla?

NouMestalla14.jpg

the stadium construction is abandoned since 2009 i guess... Cuz of the crisis *let me check the date*

i really have my doubts with this stadium and its construction... D you remember what happened to Nou Mestalla?

NouMestalla14.jpg

the stadium construction is abandoned since 2009 i guess... Cuz of the crisis *let me check the date*

I read from local newspaper that this noumestalla will be re-star the construction after they got the capital from 7 consortium bank in Spain :)

• 4 weeks later...

That gives an idea of how the stadium will work for 2020 should Madrid be chosen:

So they'll do it like Rio de Janeiro... Estadio de Madrid for Athletics and Estadio Santiago Bernabéu for the Opening & Closing Ceremonies and the football final. Have you an idea about the stadium's capacity during athletics events?

• Like 1

Well, apparently it's 60k in athletics mode, though I can't square that with what I see in that video. Surely the lower tier holds more than 7 or 8 thousand? I've asked the same question on Skyscrapercity so hope to have an answer soon.

And there's been nothing yet to suggest the Bernabéu would be used for ceremonies, but given the reduced stadium capacity and Rio's precedent (which I never thought any other city would follow in all honesty), I wonder whether they'll now consider it.

I don't think they're planning to move the ceremonies to Santiago Bernabéu.

We'll see it when Madrid reveals the mini bid book. Maybe they'll do it with Estadio de Madrid, but I really would prefer Santiago Bernabéu 'cause its much more traditional and better known than the cup cake.

OK, I've just seen this diagram of the stadium capacity (big image so I've linked to it):

http://www.abellanenpunto.com/_rcs/fotos/Nuevo_Estadio_Ath_Madrid_Cruz_y_Ortiz_3.jpg

The lower tier has its capacity listed as 26k. The stadium is 75k. So the athletics capacity can be only 49k. Am I missing something??!

Only 49,000?! I think that's too less, but it's just a long period of time until 2020 and the stadium works aren't that far. Maybe they could remove the roof to be able to build some 10,000 temporary seats or so... or build this roof as one that could be removed partially to make room for additional seating...

• 2 weeks later...

the stadium is just ok,but not impressive..hope they get enough time(8years) to find another way how to improve the design..

esmangga....8 years to find another way ? 2020 isn't decided yet, how could you become so optimist that Madrid will win the race? Although I'm the supporter of Madrid for this race :)

Has any stadium actually put this platform idea into practice for athletics. I've seen it many times when stadiums are announced highlighted as a solution for having both athletics and football, but never known it to be actually done.

The Stade de France is the only stadium I know of to use the retractable seating solution too.

And there's been nothing yet to suggest the Bernabéu would be used for ceremonies, but given the reduced stadium capacity and Rio's precedent (which I never thought any other city would follow in all honesty), I wonder whether they'll now consider it.

But isn't Rio the exception rather than setting a precedent. The IOC made a concession with this in order to award South America their first-ever Olympics. I remember when Houston & Chicago were proposing such "2-stadium" deals early on in their plans, & the USOC was quick in saying; "no, no, no". So I can't see the IOC making this kind of exception again, especially when it comes to repeat host nations. Unless everyone proposes such multiple stadiums plans in their bids.

I bet if Madrid wins the stadium will change its capacity... And will be built with 70,000 seats and then 75,000 for Arletico's ganes but, i dont think Madrid will try to win if they have a 49,000 stadium...