Sign in to follow this  
Rob.

Madrid 2020 Stadium

They had said the stadium capacity for athletics would be 60,000 but I don't know how they're planning to do that.

Good thought, that must be the answer!

I hadn't thought about it this way before but...

Whilst the design is set in stone and construction is taking place as we speak, the roof probably won't be built until after the IOC's decision.

In that case, if the IOC picks Madrid maybe they'll keep the ends (or one end) roofless like Sydney and build temporary seating for 2020, taking capacity up to 60k+. Then, after the Games, the temporary seating comes down and the roof is completed.

That has to be the answer, surely?

sydneyolympicstadium1_wideweb__470x314,0.jpg

I'm a little bit surprised I was the first one to think about temporary seats since a few cities have yet done this before (just to mention Sydney, London's original plan and so on).

You weren't the first to think about it, but I'd assumed this stadium wouldn't be able to have any temporary seating with its huge overhanging roof. It's simply not possible to retrofit temporary seating onto this:

atleticonuevo1.jpg

I'd completely forgotten that the stadium would still be under construction in 2013, giving them the possibility to respond to the IOC's decision and if necessary build a partial roof and fit temporary seating.

I'm convinced that will be the plan now. 49k is too small, and I honestly don't see any other way of them getting the capacity up to 60k in athletics mode.

Looking forward to seeing the mini-bid book in a couple of weeks' time.

Edited by RobH

In a recent interview, the architects said the current design may be up to 75,000 people. They are still in talks with Atletico because the setas configuration is not final (VIP areas and so may change the final number significantly). But they said that one very simple way to increase the capacity is by putting the seats closer: the current configuration for football is calculated taking into account the space needed in winter. With 0-5º in the evening, people and their coats need more space. For the Olympic use, in summer with no less than 20º during the day, a new configuration of the seats can certainly add extra capacity by decreasing the space between seats just a few cm.

• Like 1

The mini bid book talks about a capacity of 65,000...

Well, Montjuic was about 72,000 max, after they took out the Opening Ceremony stage.

Uh-oh...not good on Spain's economic front: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h8w4A8psTF4zMnKDLGRQFGl2UF-g?docId=CNG.5fc5613b9619138e31a6db9b99b5bc9a.371

Spain recession looms, bank stocks tumble

By Roland Lloyd Parry (AFP) – 4 hours ago

MADRID — Recession concerns and banking trauma haunted Spain's struggling economy Thursday, with data showing that output shrank by 0.3 percent in the final quarter of last year.

Stocks tumbled on concerns over Spain's troubled banking sector and the future of debt-stricken Greece, adding to the challenges facing the new conservative government which is fighting to stem huge unemployment.

Figures from the INE statistics office showed that for 2011 as a whole, the eurozone's fourth largest economy expanded a meagre 0.7 percent, confirming initial estimates given on January 30.

The fourth-quarter slump, in a country where unemployment is running at nearly 23 percent, reflected a continued slowdown in domestic demand which could not be offset by exports, the INE said.

"The short-term economic outlook remains very challenging, with the latest grim survey data suggesting the economy will contract again in the first quarter of 2012, implying a new recession," said IHS Global Insight analyst Raj Badiani.

"We expect the recession to linger throughout 2012 following by lacklustre recovery in 2013, implying the economy could contract for two successive years."

The 0.3 percent fall in output compared with the third quarter was the same as reported for the eurozone on Wednesday but while the bloc managed overall 2011 growth of 1.5 percent, Spain's was a relatively feeble 0.7 percent.

If the Spanish economy shrinks again in the three months to March it would be in recession, defined as two straight quarters of negative growth.

The government last week said it expected another contraction in the first quarter which would be worse than the fourth.

In the face of a looming recession, it has passed a major banking reform and loosened labour laws that it says will stimulate job creation. The labour reform has sparked protests by critics who say it threatens job security.

Spain emerged only at the start of 2010 from an 18-month recession triggered by the global financial crisis and a property bubble collapse that destroyed millions of jobs and left behind huge bad loans and debts.

More in that link!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Of course spains economy is going to get worse there is no chance they can host this succesfully, would be the stupidest decision on the IOC's behalf if they gave it to a country with 17% unemployment yeah other coutnries have flaws but seriously 17% yowza and they have more problems etc

China and Brazil have poverty on scales not seen in Span. Spain's Games would not be a failure, they are a rich country even with the financial problems, with most venues and much infrastructure already in place.

• Like 3

Of course spains economy is going to get worse there is no chance they can host this succesfully, would be the stupidest decision on the IOC's behalf if they gave it to a country with 17% unemployment yeah other coutnries have flaws but seriously 17% yowza and they have more problems etc

Spain could host the Olympics more than successfully and has a strong chance of winning for 2020. Doha, on the other hand, is definitely not going to be chosen no matter how much money they can throw at the IOC. Stay classy...

• Like 1

OK, I've just seen this diagram of the stadium capacity (big image so I've linked to it):

http://www.abellanen...z_y_Ortiz_3.jpg

The lower tier has its capacity listed as 26k. The stadium is 75k. So the athletics capacity can be only 49k. Am I missing something??!

They may not need to cover the entire lower tier. If they only need to cover half of it, then that gives a 62k capacity.

Stadium looking great! Now I need to see the detailed venue plan in the website...

Well, the economy is not going to get worse, as we are slowly solving our problems. Unless you have a crystal ball I dont see the point saying that the economy is going to behave like you say.

A more objective way to measure each country is the per capita income. Even during the crisis, Spain has a per capita income of around 30.000$ (PPP), compared to 35.000$ in Japan and only 15.000$ in Turkey. Yes , Turkey's economy grows faster, but the same happens in many countries that are a bit behind in their economies and not so developed.

Im so tired about the crisis thing. Really, what kind of country do you think Spain is? I invited you to come here and see it for yourself and Im convinced you will set aside the "crisis" point.