Madrid 2020 Stadium

Today is the day that the plans for La Peineta Stadium are revealed; this is the stadium that has been the centrepiece of the last two Madrid bids. However, it is likely to be rebuilt as a football only stadium - we'll find out officially today. I'm intruiged to know therefore, whether La Peineta is still going to be Madrid's Olympic Stadium should they win 2020.

Will they do a Manchester 2002? Will they have some kind of clever solution which will retrofit a track? Is retratable seating involved? Or is there going to be a major change to Madrid's plan with a different stadium being the focus for 2020?

We'll have a better idea later on today.

Here's a reminder of Madrid's 2016 Stadium idea:

madrid2016a.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if they gonna built a new stadium tht will bring down their " everything already built and no need to make more expenses." motto.. its just not a stadium but also means infrastucture transportation..+ etc.

not so good for their bidding while people thhink spain is bankrupt and madrid is risky ..

altough dont like the staidum design :/ :D

That's the point guys! The above picture is of the old plan for the stadium, as a reminder. The new plans are going to be released today.

BUT, from what I've been reading the new plans are for a rectangular stadium without an athletics track. So I'm intruiged about what Madrid 2020 will be doing for their stadium. Will they retrofit the rectangular stadium, do something like Manchester 2002, or will La Peineta not be part of their plans at all?

Hopefully we'll find out a bit more later today.

whne they are complaining about money that much i dont see there is a choice to built another stadium for madrid now...

lol wondering Doha s olympic stadium plan.. can be golden and diaomnds tiled out of the stadium.. it wont suprise me lol

or another choice they can use it with some renovations and then use it for soccer for national matches like atatürk olympic stadium will be changed for after olympics

if they gonna built a new stadium tht will bring down their " everything already built and no need to make more expenses." motto.. its just not a stadium but also means infrastucture transportation..+ etc.

Not at all. What they had said was that almost 80% of the needed infrastructure was already built or planned, and they didn't lie: the stadium has been planned since the 2012 bid, although it's today when the final project is being revealed. Transportation is not an issue either. There's a metro station near the stadium called "Estadio Olímpico" (Olympic Stadium) already running.

This is the new stadium:

nuevo_01.jpg

nuevo_02.jpg

nuevo_03.jpg

nuevo_04.jpg

nuevo_05.jpg

nuevo_06.jpg

nuevo_07.jpg

It's supposed to be built as a football-only stadium. As far as I know, if Madrid is awarded the 2020 Games, the lower seatings will be temporarily removed to build the athletics track. Also, there are some people that are worried with the roof because it may hide the cauldron from the people seated inside. I wonder if the roof could help put the cauldron hanging in the middle of the stadium, being visible for everybody :unsure: It could be original and spectacular if it's well done, but I don't know if it's possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0P659nhtVs

Fitting a track into that would be an expensive business. And the capacity of 70k means a platform solution is not viable.

It looks like a good football stadium but I'm wondering, if this opinion from SSC is anything to go by, whether this is a stadium that actually suits nobody:

]One of THE most stupid stadium projects in Europe. The only thing Atletico gain from this is a larger stadium, which by the way they will never fill. And for that they have to give up their idetity, move to a new location half way between Madrid and Barcelona in the middle of nowhere. The only way to get to the stadium will be by car or metro, compare to the old stadium where you can simply walk down from the city centre.

This is a scam by the municipality of Madrid (which by the way are all Real Madrid fans), they want someone to use their worthless Olympic stadium (Madrid will never afford to hold any Olympics with their billions of debt) and conceive this scam to get away with it.

There are far better locations much closer to the city centre where they could have built their staduim, but of cause the Madrid municipality AKA Real Madrid fanclub had to **** up this club just enough to ensure that Real Madrid has no competition what so ever.

Thoughts?

The positive I can glean from this...and thinking about the recent similar stadium episodes are that...people are finally starting to think that Olympic stadia are near-white elephants but people must think ahead of what will be done with them afterwards. And what's amazing about all this hubub is that NOT only does the Olympics require a track but the friggin' IOC/IAAF require a warm-up track closeby. I mean how fleckin' nervy is that?? I have this sneaking suspicion that the IOC and the IAAF get a cut from the track company since their business is essentially doubled!

the roof lookslike a giant cupcake upside down..:S but better than the previous ;)

BUT its a soccer arena not for athleitcs, if they gonna make the athletic track it will definettly reduce the capacity for - 10000 :/

is it the certain and last stadium plan for the 2020 bidding??

They'll build towers around it -- like 20 Orbitals, so additional 6,000 people can look in. :lol::lol:

:lol: so will have 66,000 including lots of orbits! well done Madrid :lol:

i'm wondering: does the Madrid aquatics center is still under consruction? i guess it ''would'' be finished in 2013.

te interior looks very awesome, but i'm afraid the capacity will be 60,000 is the lower tier is removed

thinking the same dude... :S it seems it will have a very low capacity, but in fact i think Atletico doesnt have that much fans either... maybe a 50,000-60,000 will be ok.

Thoughts?

There have been complaints among Atlético fans because La Peineta is much farther for the city centre than Vicente Calderón, but that's the place where it has to be if they want it to be the Olympic stadium. It's not in the centre, but it's not in the middle of nowhere either, and taking into account it's going to be in the Olympic park if Madrid's awarded the Games, they're going to have a stadium situated in one of the most important sports complexes in Spain.

The main problem with Vicente Calderón is that it doesn't fit in the new Madrid-Río project. They're planning to build new parks (and a beach, as far as I know) in the river zone. An old beer factory has already been demolished, and Vicente Calderón is going to be the next. I'm sure the people living near the current stadium will be happy as the new river zone will be much quieter, and fans going to Vicente Calderón by car should also be happy: there will be many more parking places in La Peineta.

te interior looks very awesome, but i'm afraid the capacity will be 60,000 is the lower tier is removed

You're right. With the track the stadium capacity would be reduced to 60,000.

is it the certain and last stadium plan for the 2020 bidding??

This is the final project for the new Atlético de Madrid stadium, which will also be the Olympic Stadium in the 2020 bid unless they come up with a surprising new one, but that's highly unlikely.

i'm wondering: does the Madrid aquatics center is still under consruction? i guess it ''would'' be finished in 2013.

This is a difficult one... Works on the aquatics centre have already started, but they seem to have been stopped for many months (or years...), or at least they're going really slowly. Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's how the aquatics centre looks like nowadays:

Centro_acuatico.jpg

So, we've got a 60k capacity track and field stadium in this bid, compared with the 73k capcity track and field stadium in previous Madrid bids.

With Rio 2016 using a bigger non-athletics stadium for ceremonies, I wonder whether there's any chance the 80k Bernabeu could be considered for Madrid's opening and closing?

I really didn't think Rio would set a precedent with its two-stadium model, but I wonder if Madrid will be tempted to consider it.

This is a difficult one... Works on the aquatics centre have already started, but they seem to have been stopped for many months (or years...), or at least they're going really slowly. Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's how the aquatics centre looks like nowadays:

Centro_acuatico.jpg

Now.... That's maybe the euro ctisis i think :S i think Madrid had a lot of plans but they are far from re start the construction. Same thing with the Nou Mestalla in Valencia. Is in the same situation that this aquatics center... I think if Madrid have been chosen for the FINA world championships 2013 it would have been in construction right now....

Another minus for Madrid: Rio 2016, Madrid 2020. TWO LATIN Games in a row? When has that happened? Highly unlikely.

There's a first time for everything ;) no, but maby Madrid will try to give a "European capirtal" (which is) impresion. Now they are bot going to be "latin games"... That's the way advertisment works.... The only rrason Madrid was called "latin" was to get latin votes, which were to Rio....

Another minus for Madrid: Rio 2016, Madrid 2020. TWO LATIN Games in a row? When has that happened? Highly unlikely.

Rio and Madrid may have as much in common as Rio and Rome.

Also, if we simplify things, Atlanta and Sydney, two English-speaking games in a row.

Rio and Madrid may have as much in common as Rio and Rome.

Also, if we simplify things, Atlanta and Sydney, two English-speaking games in a row.

Uhmmm...Rio is one culture away from Rome.

Well, Atlanta was representative of a heavily African-American presence...surely NOT Sydney.

There's a first time for everything ;) no, but maby Madrid will try to give a "European capirtal" (which is) impresion. Now they are bot going to be "latin games"... That's the way advertisment works.... The only rrason Madrid was called "latin" was to get latin votes, which were to Rio....

No...no. Rio and Madrid (tiny Lisbon in between) are LATIN cities...even more so than Barcelona!! So Madrid 2020 is NOT going to happen. Besides, Madrid's venues and proposed ones are BORING...nothing too exciting about their venues.

Rio's culture has nothing to do with Madrid's! :lol: Rio is the carnival, party, nature.... Madrid is the Flamenco dancers we saw at last year's Champions League final...

No...no. Rio and Madrid (tiny Lisbon in between) are LATIN cities...even more so than Barcelona!! So Madrid 2020 is NOT going to happen. Besides, Madrid's venues and proposed ones are BORING...nothing too exciting about their venues.

Youre right by saying Barcelona isnt too latin, its catalan.... But both cities are completly difrent.... Maybe Buenos Aires and Madrid are the same type.... The venues might be boring but are more realistic though....

Rio's culture has nothing to do with Madrid's! :lol: Rio is the carnival, party, nature.... Madrid is the Flamenco dancers we saw at last year's Champions League final...

They all speak with a similar accent.

Rome I would compare more with Buenos Aires because 1/3rd of Argentines are of Italian origin. The Portuguese who settled and created Brazil are from the same IBERIAN peninsula as Spain!! :P

Rome I would compare more with Buenos Aires because 1/3rd of Argentines are of Italian origin. The Portuguese who settled and created Brazil are from the same IBERIAN peninsula as Spain!! :P

Portugese and Spanish are really diffrent... The accebt is WAY TO DIFRENT in Spain you speach "Castellano" in the rest of latin america it chances a lot, more in South America... Ché (ARG), Chacumbele (CUB), Mano (GUA), Güey (MEX), frend (PAN), broder (VEN).... Spain is a hole diffrent world... But i agrre by saying Buenos Aires and Rome are the same people :P:lol:

Uhmmm...Rio is one culture away from Rome.

Well, Atlanta was representative of a heavily African-American presence...surely NOT Sydney.

Rio is one culture away from Rome... just like Madrid. Actually, Madrid is closer culturally to Rome than to Rio.

The ethnic composition of the peoples of Rio is also quite different from Madrid.

The LATIN label... I don't even know what it really means. A generalization, exactly like saying Atlanta, Sydney and London are all anglo-saxon.

Youre right by saying Barcelona isnt too latin, its catalan.... But both cities are completly difrent.... Maybe Buenos Aires and Madrid are the same type.... The venues might be boring but are more realistic though....

Flamenco is not typical from Madrid, it's typical from southern Spain. Of course there are flamenco shows in Madrid, but in Barcelona too, many Andalusians emigrated to Catalonia during the XXth century. There was flamenco in the Barcelona ceremonies, and the genre called "rumba catalana" which is close... created in Catalonia. Nothing is so simple.

Madrid is Castilian unlike Barcelona, not more "latin", that again doesn't make much sense. Catalans also "travelled" to the Americas. Shakira discovered she has some Catalan origins. :P

Any Spaniard understands spoken Italian much easier than spoken Portuguese. Wrong assumptions.

Archived