Who would like to see Toronto host an Olympics?

intoronto

I really think Canada had a good chance to shine with Vancouver, one of it's most beautiful cities, and they had nice competition for the most part. I'm less interested in Toronto, but one day I'm sure they may host.

I was under the imprecation this was a Canadian forum...is that wrong? So I imagine a lot here would like to see Toronto host.

This sort of question is completely banal without context. If they were up against Abuja, it's a no-brainer, if they're up against Paris I'd probably go for the French bid and nip across the water for a short holiday!

So my answer: Yes someday, sure, but I'd like to see a lot of cities host.

:blink:

Yeah...Don't waste bandwidth on the obvious...

Of course we'd wanna see Toronto bid- What would be better is an all out slugfest tween it and Vancouver. To be Canada's bid.

I would someday in my lifetime experience the Summer Games in Canada (being 2 years old for the Montreal Games doesn't really count). And while that means Toronto (I don't think any other Canadian city will be in position to challenge them for years and years and years) I think the timing of things means that it is something to look to as a long term target. The focus now is on the cycle for 2020. And there's been discussion of a Toronto Olympics since 1988. Since WWII, only three countries have repeated as Summer Olympic host - The USA, Australia, and the UK - and the IOC currently has a flair for the big, bold and exotic. So for Toronto to win would require the right elements of timing and competitors. I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like Toronto but for me, it'll happen when it happens. I'd like the US to host 2022 despite that probably pushing Toronto back. My urge to see NHL involvement in Pyeongchang is stronger than my urge to see Toronto host as fast as possible. A Denver or Reno Games in 2022 will almost ensure the NHL goes to Pyeongchang in 2018. I see Toronto as one of thsoe cities that's bound to host at some point during my lifetime, and I'm going to enjoy the ride in other parts of the world until that happens.

I'd like to see Toronto host the Games one day, but not yet.

As it stands, I feel Canada has had more than their fair share of Olympics. A 2024 hosting would be 4 in the space of just under 50 years (an epic amount for any country really). So, I'd favour a raft of other cities and nations host both for the first time, and for a repeat hosting - before Canada hosts again.

But one day, further into the 2030's or 2040s, then I'd welcome it.

Elaborate. Its concerning that other people consider Canadian cities as American. Sure they have similar skylines, landscapes etc. But they are truly unique from any other city in the world.

When I see TV shows that take place in Toronto, it is usually hard for me to figure out it is not American unless they blatantly say or show where it is. The accents are not always apparent to me either, especially since I have a lot of family from the upper Midwest.

I am still surprised when I find out a famous actor/actress is Canadian. I don't think there are two English speaking countries that are any more similar. Don't get me wrong, there are still a number of differences, but on the surface, things are much more similar between the us.

When I see TV shows that take place in Toronto, it is usually hard for me to figure out it is not American unless they blatantly say or show where it is. The accents are not always apparent to me either, especially since I have a lot of family from the upper Midwest.

I always enjoy noticing the subtle hints that a movie was filmed in Toronto. Like in Boondock Saints, which is supposed to take place fully in Boston. There's a scene that shows a faded blue newspaper box in the background, along with a store with a red/white/blue banner. Anyone from Toronto would recognize that newspaper box as belonging to the Toronto Star newspaper, and the store as the I.D.A pharmacy.

Other than that, a movie filmed in Toronto might as well take place in NY/Chicago/Boston.

I am still surprised when I find out a famous actor/actress is Canadian. I don't think there are two English speaking countries that are any more similar. Don't get me wrong, there are still a number of differences, but on the surface, things are much more similar between the us.

Yea I understand where your coming from and it will always be like that.

What happens is that Toronto is a multi-cultural city, in fact i tgink the most multi-cultural city in the world. As i said, the Toronto Blue Jays play in the MLB so many people confuse it with a ver American City :lol: jk.

What happens is that Toronto is a multi-cultural city, in fact i tgink the most multi-cultural city in the world. As i said, the Toronto Blue Jays play in the MLB so many people confuse it with a ver American City :lol: jk.

Its hard to measure that but you could say something along the lines of that. Jays? Because its baseball?

Its hard to measure that but you could say something along the lines of that. Jays? Because its baseball?

Well, i have a friend and some day we were watching baseball and he told me: Toronto is in Illinois? Isnt it? X_x :lol: :lol: hahaha! that's why i think many people counfuse that.

Archived