Continental Rotation

zekekelso

I think the WC2002 games began between 2-9 am in Eastern North America.

All of the 2002 World Cup games were played in the afternoon and evening in Korea/Japan. There were 0 games played in North American primetime (mostly to avoid having games played in the middle of the night European time.. note that the semifinals and finals from the 2014 World Cup will be played late afternoon in Brazil so they can be shown in European primetime).

The 2018 Olympics in Korea will be different. NBC will probably fight to get a lot of the main events shown in the morning/early afternoon in Korea so they can be shown live in primetime. I'm sure it will include a lot of live alpine skiing and maybe, if they're good at negotiating, some of the figure skating as well.

That being said, I honestly do not recall how much, if any, of Seoul was broadcast live back to the States. For Nagano, I know some hockey matches were live and I believe the Men's Downhill was also live.

I don't remember from experience, but from what I've read, a good 75% or so of the primetime coverage from Seoul was live, particularly the track events (among many other events, the men's 100 meter final was live in U.S. primetime). You're spot on with Nagano.. CBS was afraid to let their primetime telecast run past 11pm ET, so nothing was shown live in primetime except for the downhill. Then they showed a lot of the hockey live in late night.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the 2002 World Cup games were played in the afternoon and evening in Korea/Japan. There were 0 games played in North American primetime (mostly to avoid having games played in the middle of the night European time.. note that the semifinals and finals from the 2014 World Cup will be played late afternoon in Brazil so they can be shown in European primetime).

The 2018 Olympics in Korea will be different. NBC will probably fight to get a lot of the main events shown in the morning/early afternoon in Korea so they can be shown live in primetime. I'm sure it will include a lot of live alpine skiing and maybe, if they're good at negotiating, some of the figure skating as well.

For hockey at least, I'm not aware of a hockey game (involving professionals) ever being played in the morning. Has this ever been the case? Because practically-speaking, the earliest I could see the hockey games being played in Korea 2018 is 12:00 noon. During the winter, that's 10 pm in Toronto/NY and 7 pm in Vancouver/SF/LA. I guess that's reasonable enough.

I don't remember from experience, but from what I've read, a good 75% or so of the primetime coverage from Seoul was live, particularly the track events (among many other events, the men's 100 meter final was live in U.S. primetime).

In Seoul all the track events were competed at midday or early afternoon which today seems a bit strange as nowadays the finals are always pushed to evening. I've always thought that it was because of U.S. television requirements.

I sort of miss the daytime ceremonies and events. There was a warm, friendly glow to them. Nighttime is definitely more theatrical. I guess it's just different.

Yeah, it seemed a little more "genuine," for lack of a better word. What you saw was what you got. It was simple, yet innocent. Whereas now, it seems a bit more "magical" in relying on illusions. Day-time ceremonies are a nice relic from days gone by.

I sort of miss the daytime ceremonies and events. There was a warm, friendly glow to them. Nighttime is definitely more theatrical. I guess it's just different.

I agree. Of course nighttime is visually more stunning, or rather allows the performance of visually stunning effects.

Since I've been watching the Olympics, the only middle of the day opening ceremonies that I remember were Nagano. N wasn't Los Angeles n Sarajevo during the day too? As a matter if fact, weren't a lot of the earlier Games during the day?

Yes. Seoul was. I think Barcelona initiated the tradition of nighttime OC's. Would be interesting to see somebody do one during the day now. Would have to be a totally different type of show. Might not look as good on tv though....

In Seoul all the track events were competed at midday or early afternoon which today seems a bit strange as nowadays the finals are always pushed to evening. I've always thought that it was because of U.S. television requirements.

Almost all of the major events in 1988 were moved to the afternoon in Korea so they could be broadcast live in primetime in the U.S. All of the track finals, half of the swimming finals, most of the gymnastics finals, and most of the boxing finals were held in the afternoon. NBC showed almost everything live in 1988 in primetime, late night (12:30-2:30am Eastern), and morning (7-10am Eastern). Back then, NBC was willing to pre-empt the Today Show for the Olympics, which they're not willing to do anymore because they make too much money on the Today Show.

IIRC, CBS was supposed to show more skiing events, as well as some of the snowboarding events, live in primetime in 1998, but they were unable to do so because of weather delays.

Yes. Seoul was. I think Barcelona initiated the tradition of nighttime OC's. Would be interesting to see somebody do one during the day now. Would have to be a totally different type of show. Might not look as good on tv though....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nope. Albertville ended at night. But 1st FULL nightime OC was Sydney. Nagano was the last ALL-daytime OC.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nope. Albertville ended at night. But 1st FULL nightime OC was Sydney. Nagano was the last ALL-daytime OC.

Ummmmm, wasn't Atlanta at night?! Those were my first Games. I mean they started at 8pm Eastern, so it's DARK by then!

Ummmmm, wasn't Atlanta at night?! Those were my first Games. I mean they started at 8pm Eastern, so it's DARK by then!

Countdown, the Awakening of the Olympic Spirits and the Call to the Nations segment really opened at sunset. That's why there was the flyby also, so that could be seen. All the lights came on just as the kids forming the white "100" ran into the field.

Yes, Sydney was really a twilight start. I like sunset beginnings, there is something more atmospheric than just starting at night. I really liked Lillehammer as you had daylight and night time in the same ceremony. I found Nagano somewhat lacking in atmosphere, partially because of the way it was done in general but also because of the lighting (and it felt a lot less wintry than Lillehammer).

Lillehammer ceremony was AWESOME you could almost felt the winter spirit. Also Barcelona. Wit was really awesome... *funny since i was very young, i saw them on dvd* I just remember Lillehammer.

For hockey at least, I'm not aware of a hockey game (involving professionals) ever being played in the morning. Has this ever been the case? Because practically-speaking, the earliest I could see the hockey games being played in Korea 2018 is 12:00 noon. During the winter, that's 10 pm in Toronto/NY and 7 pm in Vancouver/SF/LA. I guess that's reasonable enough.

There were hockey games from Salt Lake that started at 11am local (corresponding to 1pm ET). Torino had a few games start at 11:30am.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a 14 hour time difference between the East coast of the US and Korea. I know that changes during the summer since Korea doesn't observe DST. Either way, when I said main events, I wasn't referring to hockey. If past history is any precedent, NBC will essentially set the schedule of games, certainly for team USA games. That's what CBS did in Nagano.

IIRC, CBS was supposed to show more skiing events, as well as some of the snowboarding events, live in primetime in 1998, but they were unable to do so because of weather delays.

I think the only ones they really committed to were the men's and women's downhill. They would have tried for more, but again, of out fear they'd piss off the Letterman folks, they refused to go past the end of scheduled primetime, so that was an issue for them. As opposed to NBC in 2018 where I can't imagine it will be.

Techically speaking, Sydney didn't start at night, it wasn't completely dark as you can see here:

I disagree. There really isn't any more sunlight. The sun had already set and there was just a little residue of lightness; and nearly ALL the stadium/stage lighting was already on. I consider Sydney an evening start; and remember it was the first Games of the new millenium, so it's nice to think that Olympic Opening Ceremonies went to the Dark Side on 1/01/00! :lol:

Seems like theres a bit of hairsplitting going on here.... Barcelona and Albertville were both 1992 and if memory serves a much bigger percentage of Barcelona was at night (like almost all). Although, yes, Albertville did end at night.

Regardless, Albertville's ceremonies were not especially memorable (the snow globe girls were bizarre). By contrast, Barcelona was stunning. I do believe that Barcelona really created the template for present day ceremonies. Albertville may have ended at night first, but it was Barcelona that really reimagined the ceremonies as theatrical nighttime spectacle rather than a daytime celebration.

Regardless, Albertville's ceremonies were not especially memorable (the snow globe girls were bizarre). By contrast, Barcelona was stunning. I do believe that Barcelona really created the template for present day ceremonies. Albertville may have ended at night first, but it was Barcelona that really reimagined the ceremonies as theatrical nighttime spectacle rather than a daytime celebration.

Actually, all of this is discussed in great detail in SECRETS OF THE OLYMPIC CEREMONIES - 2012 edition coming out next month.

By contrast, Barcelona was stunning. I do believe that Barcelona really created the template for present day ceremonies. Albertville may have ended at night first, but it was Barcelona that really reimagined the ceremonies as theatrical nighttime spectacle rather than a daytime celebration.

Yeap!! Exactly! Barcelona was the start of a new age in ceremonies. Prior Barcelona it was kinnda just cheer leaders and baloons... etc....

I do not agree with the "cheerleaders and balloons" comment.

Moscow's human sculptures. LA's jet man, all of "Music of America". Seoul's amazing charging war thingamabobs... Definitely a whole lot more to it than "balloons and cheerleaders." As I said, I liked the daytime ceremonies, they were just different.

Barcelona's blue carpet and high concept production were such a departure that they felt fresh and new at the time. Now we're getting to the point where a daytime ceremony might be a good change of pace....

I do think that the winter OC is better at night. There's just too much glare during the day with what's often a white sky and white snow -- that's assuming there IS snow....

I do believe that Barcelona really created the template for present day ceremonies.

That's both good and bad. The flaming-arrow torch thing? Still the coolest moment in Olympic ceremony history.

But now everybody feels the need for a gimicy tourch lighting... something to outdo the last city.

That's both good and bad. The flaming-arrow torch thing? Still the coolest moment in Olympic ceremony history.

But now everybody feels the need for a gimicy tourch lighting... something to outdo the last city.

Agreed. The tendency to try to "outdo" is not helpful in the long term. It would be nice to see somebody do something that's just totally different.

Archived