Continental Rotation

zekekelso

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no such rule when it comes to the IOC. It is more of an undesirable outcome than an out right rule. The reason why people talk about it more now is because a lot more countries are capable of hosting the games than in the past. That is why people say "Well Europe hosted it 2 cycles ago now it's africa's turn" but really it's more unspoken than anything.

Random fact of the day:

Of the 23 Olympic host cities from Munich through Rio, 15 were on the same continent as the host immediately before or after then. Only 8 of the 23 obeyed the "Continental Rotation Rule" which says you can't have back to back games in the same continent.

Yeah, well, that's if you take in both summer and winter games together, and as many will tell you, they're total different buckets of fish with only a minimal relationship between them. Going on JUST summer hostings, NONE in that time period went to the same continent as the host immediately before or after them. Of the winters alone, it only happened ONCE - Albertville followed by Lillehammer - but as many will also tell you, that had a lot to do with making sure the way as clear in 1992 for His Excellency's home city to get the 1992 summer games.

I don't see the YOGs as counting for anything, or establishing any clear patterns, yet.

What i strongly disagree in the WOG and SOG they have nothing to do... I mean are completlly diffrent. But between the same games, its more important. For example Rio 2016, followed by Lima 2020 its ilogical, but i dont see a problem in Tokyo/Doha 2020 and Pyeonchang 2018.

Yeah, well, that's if you take in both summer and winter games together, and as many will tell you, they're total different buckets of fish with only a minimal relationship between them.

And yet it seems that almost every posted anaylsis of the 2020 games lists the location of the winter 2018 games as a negative for Tokyo.

It's more or less about 50/50. Fifty percent will intertwine them, while the other 50% will say they're seperate.

I for one (as do some others on here, too), don't see Tokyo 2020 as an impossibility due to PyeongChang 2018. Summer/Winter consecutive hostings has happened with Europe several times already. And it's almost happened with Asia twice now. Beijing virtually snagged 2000 despite Nagano was scheduled 1998. And PyeongChang nearly got 2010 despite despite Beijing being slated for 2008.

So those recent voting patters seem to highly suggest that the IOC would not be totally adverse for Asia to do the same as Europe as done so many times already. It's just a matter of time before it happens & I'd say Tokyo & PyeongChang has a good chance at being the first Asian Winter/Summer combo deal.

However, maintaining the Winter & Summer Games seperately, the IOC has done a fantantic job at rotating the Games between the continents.

And yet it seems that almost every posted anaylsis of the 2020 games lists the location of the winter 2018 games as a negative for Tokyo.

Continental rotation is a bigger deal for Asia because they're such an unfavorable time zone and most of the IOC's capital comes from the west. In other words, Europe or even North America are more likely to get a back-to-back WOG/SOG combo than Asia. I do believe Asia will break the trend soon though and it looks like Tokyo 2020 is well positioned to do just that......

While I've certainly never subscribed to that. It might be a minor liability for Tokyo, but certainly not a bid killer.

>> Continental rotation is a bigger deal for Asia because they're such an unfavorable time zone

On the list of things that people believe, even though they aren't necessarily true... the first was the IOC prefers not to have back to back games on the same continent.

Next would probably be that East Asia is "such" an unfavorable time zone. From the US standpoint - which still puts up the largest rights payments - East Asia is much preferred over Europe (or Africa.) Nothing from Europe can appear live in US prime time.

Many of the sports most popular in the US - including the power due of swimming and gymnastics - took place in the Beijing morning. NBC had Michael Phelps winning a gold medal live almost every night of the first week. Well, live in Eastern and Central time zones at least. It was taped delayed in the West.

Many of the sports most popular in the US - including the power due of swimming and gymnastics - took place in the Beijing morning. NBC had Michael Phelps winning a gold medal live almost every night of the first week. Well, live in Eastern and Central time zones at least. It was taped delayed in the West.

Yes, and I would guess that as much of the PyeongChang schedule as possible will be tailored to live primetime coverage in the U.S. The last three Games in Asia have had a significant amount of live coverage in primetime in the U.S.

Yes, and I would guess that as much of the PyeongChang schedule as possible will be tailored to live primetime coverage in the U.S. The last three Games in Asia have had a significant amount of live coverage in primetime in the U.S.

Do you rember Korea-Japan 2002? Well... That will be the same schedule for PyeongChang....

Do you rember Korea-Japan 2002? Well... That will be the same schedule for PyeongChang....

Korea nor Japan hosted in 2002, Seoul had the '88 SOG and Nagano had the 1998 OWG.

That being said, I honestly do not recall how much, if any, of Seoul was broadcast live back to the States. For Nagano, I know some hockey matches were live and I believe the Men's Downhill was also live.

Korea nor Japan hosted in 2002, Seoul had the '88 SOG and Nagano had the 1998 OWG.

I think the reference was to the 2002 World Cup.

Though, if my memory serves me well there, most games there were on in afternoon or night East Asia time. Which would have generally been late night early morning US time.

Archived