The opening/closing ceromonies at manchester games

MIKYSALT

Does anybody remember how good these were.  I remember thinking how refreshing it was to see imaginative and original stunts and shows as normally these ceromonies can turn into a dull procession.  I think it rained at the closing ceremony but it didn't dampen spirits.  Does anybody else think they put on a great show and highlighted Britain's creative talents?  It bodes well for a London ceremony should we win the games.  I feel it would be one of the best shows to grace the Olypmics.   :D

The Manchester ceremonies were good but not a patch on what London will do

I don't want to see any soap stars in the London ceremonies.

As well as celebrating our maritime history and literary culture I can see elaborate musical routines based round songs    like Pink Floyds

We don't need no education .

and the Eurithmics  1984

to show how civilization can go wrong if it goes down the wrong road followed by an HG Welss time machine journey back in time  to mend the paradox in time ,to make everything ok again ,where one of the darleks that Kelly Holms had jumped out earlier  discovers it human side and when it opens

Kate Bush gets out and sings the London Olympic Song.

...or (God help us all) some of her older, less-known numbers.

You know, she has a sell-out nightly show in Las Vegas? Do you think she holds them hostage till they pay for the next evening? Or does she use a small side room to a hotel lobby?

Imagine - Sir Elton will be in his sixties... d'you think they'll let him sing "Saturday Night's Alright"?!  :D

The only thing worse would be.... C.D. with "My heart will go on..."

Please, I could vomit at the thought.

It could be worse. Just involve any boy band and there will be trouble.

Considering it was a Commonwealth Games I thought the opening and closing ceremonies at Manchester were very good . They're never as big as the olympics so put in perspective Manchester did a great job . The painting of the Queen's head was good but I particularly liked the parade of illuminated religious buildings that they put together to form a human body .

At a London olympics I imagine knights on horseback jousting , massed bands/pipers , morris dancing , highland dancing etc . Our history is so long and rich that the possibilities are endless . Imagine a timeline of British history on parade at a London olympics and the great figures of life and legend ......even pirate ships or historic naval ships doing battle .

The only thing I'd be worried about as far as the opening ceremony in London would be the PC (politically correct) brigade getting involved and ruining it. Imagine them deeming that all references to colonialism (ie our greatest period in history) should be omitted...Or insisting that ethnic minority themes are equal to those of British ones despite them accounting for only a tiny proportion of our 2000 years of  history. You can't imagine these problems happening in Paris or Madrid, but in London and New York it'd be a real possibility. Ethnic minority themes should play a role, after all our bid is based on diversity, however my worry is that these PC'ers don't know when to stop, and are like a bull with a red rag at times. And please let up fly the cross of St. George. It's not a bad flag really.

I loved the Manchester Commonwealth Games ceremonies, but we have produced some absolute shockers.

Anyone remember Euro 96 and Cricket World Cup 99 ceremonies? Two of the worst things I have seen in my life.  :D

No, not that bad.  :D

The Manchester Open/Close ceremonies at the Commonwealth Games were excellent.  I remember some hot weather to start the games, and rain at the end.  Typical Manchester weather lol.  The City Centre was a carnival atmosphere aswell throughout the Games, and as I only lived 6 miles away, I almost went down there 6-7 times during the games.

The London Olympic Games will be fitting for HRH Queen Elizabeth to attend in her 60th year on the throne.  :) Parties galore in 2012, if we get the Olympics too.

Was the Cricket World Cup ceremony as bad as England's performance in the tournament?

It was terrible.  :)

The fireworks didn't work and IIRC it was raining. A totally miserable affair.

And Euro 96.  :D A dragon that I think was made out of papier mache being 'slain' by some school kids and some jousters on horse back. Was terribly choreographed.

Three words that will guarantee a London win -

TAKE THAT REUNITED!

But only for the London 2012 ceremonies!!

Imagine Robbie Williams smacked out of his head duelling with Gary 'Tubby' Barlow, while Mark Owen silently cries, rocking back and forth in the foetal position as Howard Donald and Jason Orange breakdance like there is no tomorrow - as frankly there isn't for them.

Will it be a rousing version of 'Relight My Fire'?  Will an obviously long-time dead by then Lulu be magically brought back to life to belt out a duet, or will TT decide to tempt fate and perform 'Could It Be Magic'?  Maybe 'Pray' or if they get a closing ceremonies slot 'Never Forget'??

Forget the Spice Girls reuniting, it's all about Take That!

partyalbum.jpg

Archived