Sochi 2014 related news

oakydoky

I think somewhere in the Urals would have been better too.

By the way, the Swedish sports minister this week said that Sochi should never have been awarded the games.

Krasnoyarsk, who will host the winter universiade currently has light snow and -30 degrees.

Sochi has rain and 4 degrees...

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think somewhere in the Urals would have been better too.

By the way, the Swedish sports minister this week said that Sochi should never have been awarded the games.

Krasnoyarsk, who will host the winter universiade currently has light snow and -30 degrees.

Sochi has rain and 4 degrees...

The coastal area of Sochi has rain and 4 degrees. The mountain ski resort within the city boundaries has lots and lots of snow. See the separate "Weather in Sochi" thread:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/23521-weather-in-sochi/

Not news, but this pretty quickly shows what we're dealing with. The big blue circle is how much Sochi cost....

Woah, Now, I know this is off topic, but quick question:

Why did Nagano cost so much? I wasn't alive at the time you see... so naturally I'm curious.

Why did Nagano cost so much? I wasn't alive at the time you see... so naturally I'm curious.

The estimate in that graphic is, by quite some distance, the highest I've ever seen for Nagano. Admittedly, the OCOG brought it on themselves somewhat, when they burned their financial records, but 14.6 billion Euros would probably have to include the entire cost of the 120km high-speed railway from Nagano to Takasaki (plus additional station capacity at Tokyo), which seems rather unfair.

I was alive but I was travelling in Shanghai during Nagano WOG. I found archives of local news paper of Nagano. I hope to answer in a couple of days ;) . Now please go back to topic.

This is even worse then the Delhi India 2010 Commonwealth Games at least with India they built thing just in time for the games and accommodation for the media is world class, The Sochi planners is making Suresh Kalmadi look like a saint Sochi Russia will be the Delhi India of the Olympics and Paralympics Games.

Awesome Scottish brewery BrewDog just got even awesomer

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/hello-my-name-is-vladimir

Hello, my name is Vladimir. I am a beer for uber hetero men who ride horses while topless and carrying knives. I am a beer to mark the 2014 Winter Olympics. But I am not for gays. Love wrestling burly men on the Judo mat or fishing in your Speedos? Then this is the beer for you!

The sick, twisted legislation brought about in Russia that prevents people from living their true lives is something we didn't want to just sit back and not have an opinion on. Our core beliefs are freedom of expression, freedom of speech and a dogged (no pun intended) passion for doing what we love. Thus, we are donating 50% of the profits from this beer to charitable organisations that support like minded individuals wishing to express themselves freely without prejudice.

This beer is a double IPA brewed with Limonnik berries. We heard they're great for improving sexual performance, so we've sent a case to the Kremlin as we suspect there is someone there who would appreciate a little helping hand.

See Twitter hashtag #notforgays

Grab a bottle of Hello, My Name is Vladimir from the BrewDog shop here

BfpLnwLCEAEp3Af.jpg

BfpJMUECUAAOAsz.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-05/foreign-leaders-lashed-ioc-boss-politicising-winter-olympics/5238850

Sochi Winter Olympics: IOC boss hits out at foreign leaders for 'trying to score political points'

Bach is a moron. The chubby kraut should shut up and keep his opinions to himself - people are reacting to an extreme set of circumstances at play in Russia, and if anything he should remain mute as to not associate the IOC further with Russia's domestic issues. Instead he chooses to blow smoke up Putin's ass and lash out at foreign leaders who stand up and make the point that they disagree with the treatment of LGBTI people, so what if they weren't invited, it is the gesture more than anything. You cannot pretend that the gathering of nations in such a way is NOT going to be political - to me thats ignorant and seems revealing of his denial of what the Olympics is, and always has been - a politically shaded sporting event. Pretty abrasive I think - yes man Rogge wouldn't have made such clumsy comments.

Archived