Sochi 2014 related news

oakydoky

Right going back to topic. I think the Games will be alot better than the Build up in terms of the Sporting Side. Some great Facilities, and great athletes. The build up has been really bad, but I am sure on the 23rd February, most will say the Sport was good.

Sorry, but that's missing the point. Nobody ever doubted that the competitions as such wouldn't be good. Of course the athletes will try to perform their best, in whatever environment they have to.

You can very well say on 23rd February that the "Sport was good", doesn't mean that the negative build up was wrong, it just didn't concern the sports but the whole organisation. And I bet that I won't say on 23rd February "OMG the build up reports were so much rubbish, it was a fab two weeks".

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to think these will be awesome games, maybe I'm getting brainwashed. It's amazing what's been built there, the mountain geography, resorts, and access are unbelievable. It is a world class destination, from a heli only access region not too long ago. It's just beautiful.

And the town looks great, past pics I've seen it was pretty dirt-bag style in some way. Nothing against a smaller less developed resort area but I'm not sure the recent pics of construction debris or dumping are more unattractive than many many old pic I've seen of the area. Plus 2 weeks is an eternity to clean up details on any huge project let alone 100 simultaneous projects! And pic like that are easy to find in most modern towns with a 50th the construction and activity.

Still not sure. Hoping for a safe wonderful games.

I'm starting to think these will be awesome games, maybe I'm getting brainwashed. It's amazing what's been built there, the mountain geography, resorts, and access are unbelievable. It is a world class destination, from a heli only access region not to long ago. It's just beautiful.

And the town looks great, past pics I've seen it was pretty dirt-bag style in some way. Nothing against a smaller less developed resort area but I'm not sure the recent pics of construction debris or dumping are more unattractive than many many old pic I've seen of the area. And pic like that are easy to find in most modern towns with a 10th the construction and activity.

Still not sure. Hoping for a safe wonderful games.

I think this Olympics could test the baron theory of the cameras selectively choosing to show the good stuff and doing their best to ignore the bad stuff. Not sure that's possible when seemingly everyone there has a camera phone and a link to social media, but to me, the interesting thing will be if what television shows is indicative of what really happens at these Olympics.

In the UK theres a history of the winter games on tomorrow, Thursday at 9pm BBC 2 with the lovely Dan Snow (they picked him because of the name surely)

brilliant - loved that - very funny!

BfObzHuIEAAjHYK.jpg

The ribbon cutting ceremony to officially open the #Sochi2014 athletes Olympic Village

and then they put up a sign saying "no gays here please"

In the UK theres a history of the winter games on tomorrow, Thursday at 9pm BBC 2 with the lovely Dan Snow (they picked him because of the name surely)

I'll be watching that most deffiently.

Sochi 2014 could be the IOC's Qatar 2022.

The controversy over Sochi only really blew up a year ago when Putin became more authoritarian - before then it was barely in the news. The whole thing will be done and dusted in a month, and we'll have Rio to look forward to.

FIFA still doesn't know the dates of Qatar 2022. It's had three years of negative press and has another eight to look forward to, hundreds of people are dying every year building the infrastrcture, and it's going to cost at least four times what Sochi 2014 cost.

If this is the IOC's Qatar 2022, they've got of relatively lightly and can look forward to having it in their rearview mirrors quite soon.

Regardless of all the technicalities, these Sochi "Winter" Games are still going to be the most expensive Olympics EVER. Displacing regular Russian families into shacks & small cramped apts with third world standards, & construction workers being treated as if they merely slaves are still issues that shouldn't be taken "lightly".Sochi 2014 should still be a wake up call to the IOC, especially when they're having cities literally running the other way from wanting to host their mega, expensive event.

I said it a couple of weeks ago in another thread, but it's not like the Causasus' have been in turmoil within the past year, (it was just as bad back in 2007 when Sochi was elected), & we wouldn't be hearing about any of this Sochi 2014 bad press even now, had more practical Salzburg been elected instead. I'm not making a "direct" comparison to Qatar, which is why I said "could be". But to say that Sochi is "relatively lightly" & that it'll be in the IOC's "rear view mirror real soon" anyway, is a bit disingenuous IMHO. Especially if Sochi 2014 does present some major issues next month. The Games have yet to take place, irrespective. And people being treated as if they didn't matter shouldn't be taken lightly either.

Apparently some gold medalists will receive an extra medal with some of the crashed meteorite embedded in it, thats a bit different

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25977371

Actually, brings to my mind the question if a place like Chelyabinsk in/near Ural mountains wouldn't have been much better suited as a winter sports hub and Olympic host city than Sochi? OK, it's an industrial town without charm, but the Sochi charm has been killed off too in the lead up to next week, so...

Actually, brings to my mind the question if a place like Chelyabinsk in/near Ural mountains wouldn't have been much better suited as a winter sports hub and Olympic host city than Sochi? OK, it's an industrial town without charm, but the Sochi charm has been killed off too in the lead up to next week, so...

But it's all about Legacy- Olympic Sochi (which is actually quite a few kilometres south of the main urban area of Sochi) is Russia's best hope for a version of Orlando (or, for British readers, Sarfend).

Archived