Sochi 2014 related news

oakydoky

Back to topic anyway, as much as Putin is Homophobic, I think that away from the Political side and on to the Sport side, Sochi 2014 will be a good Games. It probably doesn't look that way now, due to the bad build up news.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*LOL* As if Putin as the chief honcho of the awarding of the Winter Games to Sochi and of getting things done during the Games' preparations would ever admit that he has been the head of or only the reason for large-scale corruption.

Putin really is a caricature of a head of state. A dangerously powerful caricature, though.

Putin really is a caricature of a head of state. A dangerously powerful caricature, though.

Yea, that's the real problem. He isn't just some idiot tyrant in a meaningless country like Kim Jong Il's fat son. This guy has a lot of power, and I think Sochi will be a turning point where the western world realizes just how dangerous he really is.

Yea, that's the real problem. He isn't just some idiot tyrant in a meaningless country like Kim Jong Il's fat son. This guy has a lot of power, and I think Sochi will be a turning point where the western world realizes just how dangerous he really is.

Wouldn't call a country with nukes meaningless, but I agree that it's now the time the mask has fallen and the western world is getting highly critical of Putin, not only because of Sochi, but since that's his personal baby, it's just more obvious there.

Putin received massive applause at the start of the torch relay in Moscow, and I expect the same (or even more) in his more-or-less-hometown Sochi. He was the man who brought the Games to Sochi, and in the audience, there won't be those poor citizens of the hosting region who were ignored or even got disadvantaged during the construction of the venues, roads etc., but mostly the rich haute-volee of the city, people who got wealthier and maybe even more powerful under Putin. They will be very grateful to him for making their city even more glitzy and the centre of global attention (at least for a few weeks this winter).

Additionally, who as an international audience member would dare to boo the host nation's head of state, while he is surrounded by the aforementioned "FOP"s (Friends of Putin)? No, he will get a warm reception, probably even an enthusiastic one.

We may not like their government (unless you're an extreme religious conservative or a Tea Party supporter), but just remember the average Russian is as proud of their nationality and culture, and will be caught up in the euphoria of their time in the spotlight, as we Aussies, or Brits, or Canadians or, yes, Chinese, were proud of and as uplifted by our time in the sun.

By the way, have you read also the second half of the new Insidethegames article?

Meanwhile, Putin has defended Russia's anti-gay propaganda law, insisting that he is not prejudiced against homosexuals and even has gay acquaintances himself.

He also moved to reassure people that "individuals of this non-traditional sexual orientation" visiting or competing at Sochi 2014 would not face discrimination and even spoke of his respect for gay celebrities like British singer Elton John.

"We have recently passed a law prohibiting propaganda, and not of homosexuality only, but of homosexuality and child abuse, child sexual abuse," he told the BBC.

"But this is nothing to do with persecuting individuals for their sexual orientation.

"There's a world of difference between these things.

"So there's no danger for individuals of this non-traditional sexual orientation, who are planning to come to the Games as visitors, or participants.

"Read our law carefully - and pay attention to its name.

"It's called a 'ban on the propaganda of paedophilia and homosexuality'.

"There are countries, including in Europe, where they're debating the possibility of legalising paedophilia.

"Publicly discussing this, in Parliament.

"They can do what they want, but the people of Russia have their own cultural code, their own traditions.

"It seems to me that the law we adopted doesn't harm anybody.

"What's more, homosexual people can't feel inferior here, because there is no professional, career or social discrimination against them.

"When they achieve great success, for example Elton John - he's an extraordinary person, a distinguished musician, and millions of our people sincerely love him, regardless of his sexual orientation."

Right, Mr. Putin: If homosexuals are highly successful globally known singers, they have a bit of a justification to live freely and to be accepted by the Russian society, even if they love to plough other guy's a**es. But if they are only moderately successful in their professional life, or even are without success, they have to be bullied, discriminated and maybe even killed. That statement makes your earlier statement towards the Olympic volunteers a lot better, of course. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

And that this guy mentions homosexuality and child abuse in the same breath, tells a lot, too. It's absolutely appalling. This is even more outrageous than the behaviour of the Communist honchos before the Beijing Games.

P.S. Or just take the expression "this non-traditional sexual orientation". What, for heaven's sake, makes homosexuality (which has, by all that we know, existed since the early days of mankind) a less "traditional" sexual orientation than heterosexuality?

Swedish athletes have been told that the Olympic venues must be free of political demonstrations but they are entirely free to express their views and beliefs in any interviews.

I know that in Beijing some NOCs contractually obligated athletes to keep silent.

Clearly he thinks gay people are peepphiles. This guy is twisted.

*pedophiles

That's what bothers me about this. If his lurnge of thinking about "stay away from children" is based in the idea that homosexuality and pedophilia are linked, that is such a misguided view, someone desperately needs to call him out on it

How will Putin be recieved at the OC? Are Russians brainwashed enough that they will give a massive ovation, or will international members of the crowd boo?

I don't think many will boo, as much as many Foreign Supporters will WANT to boo, they won't, because they will be to worried about the Consequences in a non-democratic country, where freedom of speech is not aloud.

They can't be foreign supporters if they dislike Putin.

But yea, your point stands. I sure wouldn't boo for him. To be fair, I wouldn't clap loudly either. I don't think I'd boo anywhere actually... Good old Canadian politeness eh :P

I didn't mean Foreign Supporters for Putin, I meant Foreign Supporters of the Olympics and there Countries. Putin deserves all the boos, but not many will, due to consequences of not having freedom of speech.

Well, only insofar as in most countries homosexuality is illegal and their NOCs will not likely try to upset the applecart. And equally it's not the IOC's place to dictate who is chosen for Olympic teams. So technically Tatchell (who I have a lot of time for) is right, but I don't quite see how the IOC can deal with this one their own.

I've heard about this too, and other threats that said that an attack on the Sochi Olympics was planned and ready to go ahead. Pretty scary.

Archived