Sochi 2014 related news

oakydoky

Wow...here's something we haven't seen in a long time. Gamesbidders pretty much in pleasant agreement that they are pleased with a recently launched Olympic design! LOL!

But keeping on trend, I'll add my praise to the chorus...very nice!

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice medals, I loved how they used the russian kilt look of the games in them, as well for the open spaces (they do a much better job there than those awful doughnuts from Torino 2006). The paralympic ones look even better.

I have to say that the whole look and designs of Sochi 2014 (except for the logo) are quite lovely.

Nice medals, I loved how they used the russian kilt look of the games in them, as well for the open spaces (they do a much better job there than those awful doughnuts from Torino 2006). The paralympic ones look even better.

I have to say that the whole look and designs of Sochi 2014 (except for the logo) are quite lovely.

The look is busy and traditional, and the logo is a beautifully designed, simple modern wordmark in amongst the business. They complement each other well. And the medals look great incorporating both.

The pictograms I'm not completely convinced of yet, need to see them in context. And the torch is nice if a bit generic.

Only real fail so far are the creepy gang of mascots. Oh, and the slogan, I forgot about the horrible slogan. But they're both avoidable.

All the important stuff Sochi has got right so far in my opinion

^^ The slogan is horrid, I agree with that. The mascots are not bad, though. I've seen worse *stares at London's mascots* .

I think the main problem with them is that they didn't dared to innovate and do something new (although not so bizarre like Izzy and those creepy Illuminati critters from 2012), specially the bear, who's basically a copy-paste of Misha.

The look is kinda busy although if you look at the preview of how the look might be used in the games at the Mario & Sonic videogame trailer, I think they did a good and balanced use of it, and it doesn't plasters the whole russian kilt on everything.

Vancouver's medals look forgettably bland in comparison. I actually to look them up to remember what they looked like.

Might just be me, but I actually think the Vancouver medals look very nice when they are actually on someone.

I really did like Torino's.

They had a really good concept that fitted extremely well with their whole design theme.

All in all though, I haven't been disappointed at any of the recent winter medals,

For me there hasn't been a bad winter medal since 88.

I agree with 88. That was horrible.

to be fair, you're both canadian so you've never actually seen it in gold, which might make a difference.

I'm with you there, Olympian, on the Calgary medals. The reverse side is beautiful.

In fact, I actually like all the medal artwork since Calgary with Vancouver's being my favorite. They help make distinctions from among each other to reflect their national characteristics. Confident Sochi's will eventually grow on me.

^^ I liked the torch too :lol: not my favorite one (preferred Vancouver's one) but I liked the concept of the Firebird feathers used on it.

The reverse of Calgary'88 medal looks good but the obverse looks pretty awful to me, I think it's because of the text. The arrangement of it was done very badly. I liked the Vancouver medals. They were simple but elegant, plus the wave shape of them was done in a beautiful way.

A nice presentation for the medals, btw, I liked the concept of the sun rays passing through the ice shards.

In reference to Calgary's medals, I've always wondered why they have such a warped version of the Olympic rings in all elements of their design (logo, medals, poster etc).

They look like they've been squashed down.

In reference to Calgary's medals, I've always wondered why they have such a warped version of the Olympic rings in all elements of their design (logo, medals, poster etc).

They look like they've been squashed down.

official_calgary88_poster.jpg

Just looking at the Calgary 1988 logo, I just now saw a Star in it as well. So it was really a versatile logo in that it could have been a stylized star (5 points) , a snowflake and a stylized maple leaf -- whichever one struck you first!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived