Sochi 2014 related news

oakydoky

Sochi 2014 promises revolutionary viewing

Spectators will be able to see the Sochi Winter Olympics in a way they have never seen them before. The latest hi-tech equipment that will be used to film the Games in 2014 has been unveiled.

The Winter Games will attract millions of viewers. Expectations and anticipation ahead of the start are high. And to satisfy viewers a special TV channel, Panorama, was launched in 2009.

Its goal is to establish a modern broadcasting complex providing TV, radio, internet and photographic coverage of Olympic events.

Sports fans will now be able to enjoy improved picture quality, and better all-round coverage.

The newly-purchased equipment was presented to members of the Supervisory Board of Sports Broadcasting this month – an organization headed by top government official Dmitry Kozak.

“Three major Russian TV channels have received government support and a unique opportunity to implement a true technological breakthrough in sports TV coverage, bringing the output quality up to the highest international standard. This will give our country sports coverage of outstanding quality. All fans can now enjoy a dramatically improved picture quality,” says Kazak.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spectators will be able to see the Sochi Winter Olympics in a way they have never seen them before. The latest hi-tech equipment that will be used to film the Games in 2014 has been unveiled.

Wouldn't be surprised if these are the first games filmed in, wait for it, 3D. Although, Panasonic was already testing 3D cameras out in Beijing and Vancouver.

Wouldn't be surprised if these are the first games filmed in, wait for it, 3D. Although, Panasonic was already testing 3D cameras out in Beijing and Vancouver.

3-D, 4-D is NOTHING if there are no home sets to receive it. Besides, it only works if u throw things at the camera. So they'll be throwing the hockey puck or javelin towards the camera?? :blink:

They filmed the St. Mortiz 1948 Opening in color on film. But if it was telecast as such back then it would've been worthless because there were no home TV sets receiving in color back then.

40th EOC General Assembly kicks off in Olympic city Sochi

TAMPA/SOCHI: The European Olympic Committees (EOC) are holding their annual meeting for the continental Olympic Family in the home of the 2014 winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

This year marks the first time debut for the PyeongChang 2018 organizers to be updating an official Olympic Movement delegation on the progress of their preparations. The assembly will hear from the Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympic Games (YOG) organizers that are set to hold the first winter edition in just a few weeks’ time, London 2012 representatives will be there, together with the Sochi 2014 hosts, Rio 2016 and of course the 2020 applicant cities will all be out networking.

EOC President Patrick Hickey and secretary general, Raffaele Pagnozzi, will be welcoming the former EOC head and IOC president, Dr. Jacques Rogge, to sit in on the meetings and he will address the assembly.

This year the Piotr Nurowski Best European Young Athlete Prize has been inaugurated on behalf of the Polish NOC and created in memory of the Polish NOC and EOC executive committee member who was killed in the tragic plane accident in April of last year. The assembly will vote for a winner out of six finalists.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/49193/40th-eoc-general-assembly-kicks-off-in-olympic-city-sochi

• 3 weeks later...

I am really surprised by the lack of Sochi 2014 related information coming along at this point... and their websites for the Organizing Committee and Olympstroy have relatively little information also (although there are some cool panoramic views of the Olympic park and the amazing arenas under construction...

I am really surprised by the lack of Sochi 2014 related information coming along at this point... and their websites for the Organizing Committee and Olympstroy have relatively little information also (although there are some cool panoramic views of the Olympic park and the amazing arenas under construction...

Putin is too busy trying to manipulate things in all sectors of Russian society. That man is really dangerous!!

Putin is too busy trying to manipulate things in all sectors of Russian society. That man is really dangerous!!

I agree, and with the public turning against his United Russia party (what an ironic name) I fear he will be forced to crack down and curb democratic reforms even further to secure his continued hold on power and control over all aspects of Russian life... It is starting to feel like Beijing 2008 again... <_<

... And it just sort of seeped into the back of my mind that one of the main reasons we have been spoiled in the last few years by London 2012 is that it is in a highly democratized country. Every minute detail from budgets, timetables, environmental reclamation, and even the color of the seats in the handball area are under continual scrutiny by the media, public, various levels of the government, etc. Where as in Sochi, they only let slip what they want us to know and only what makes them look good. The government in Russia essentially controls the media and prevents their oversight, the people would never rise up to protest, demand any accountability, etc. That obviously was/is not the case with Vancouver 2010 and London 2012. I am sure the budget for Sochi is far larger than what has been publicly released given the huge scale of construction of venues, hotels, housing for athletes, the airport upgrades, new road and rail lines, etc. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sochi ultimately spends more than London. They are already going to unquestionably be the most expensive winter games ever by a wide margin, and the scale of construction at the Olympic park would seem to rival that of most summer games. United Russia indeed... <_<

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yay new lanyards!!

I have been carrying my keys attached to a lanyard since Beijing. LOVED LOVED LOVED my Vancouver one, but now I'm using the London version I can't wait to get rid of it... I like London's overall look but that lanyard is ugly ugly ugly.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO there are no lanyards for Sochi for sale :( Hope they will have it later. I plan to use the London one for the rest of 2012, so get on it Sochi!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It will be interesting on which heads of state will be at Sochi for the opening ceremony. According to Around the Rings, Putin is NOT coming to London 2012, supposedly in retaliation for negative spats at Russia from the UK.

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=40170

It will be interesting on which heads of state will be at Sochi for the opening ceremony. According to Around the Rings, Putin is NOT coming to London 2012, supposedly in retaliation for negative spats at Russia from the UK.

http://aroundthering...w.aspx?id=40170

I don't think any western leader will be going (to Sochi).

I don't think any western leader will be going (to Sochi).

I think there will be a few leaders that will be at Sochi 2014, if this article is indirectly right about Putin's "list of leaders to visit ASAP" situation.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/05/31/only_a_select_few_are_honored_by_putin_s_company

• 4 weeks later...

Russa.Park.jpg

http://russiasochipark.com/

Sochi 2014 ice rink to appear at London 2012 in Kensington Gardens

The much-anticipated Sochi 2014 ice rink will appear at the London 2012 Olympics in Kensington Gardens after plans for Russia.Sochi.Park were finally confirmed today.

Fears were growing that the planned temporary ice rink would not appear at all after the original proposal from Sochi 2014 to base the structure at Marble Arch was rejected by Westminster City Council following objections from several groups including Transport for London (TfL), who warned it could create major traffic problems.

But the final plans released today by Sochi 2014 and the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) show that the ice rink will be in place at Russia.Sochi.Park from July 26 to August 12, in what will be the biggest Russian event ever to be held in the United Kingdom.

"We are delighted to be bringing Sochi to London and offering the world a flavour of what can be expected at the next Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games," said Sochi 2014 President and chief executive Dmitry Chernyshenko, who confirmed to insidethegames earlier this year that the ice rink would appear at London 2012 despite the setbacks.

Russia.Sochi.Park comprises two sites at Kensington Gardens which are Russia.Park and Sochi.Park.

The ice rink, which is expected to attract around 8,000 people a day during the Olympics, will be situated in front of the famous Albert Memorial in the 6,000-square metre Sochi.Park.

The plan is for Sochi.Park to be a winter wonderland in the middle of the London summer, providing a high-tech visitor experience that takes guests through Russia to Sochi, using innovative interactive digital experiences including a 4D chairlift ride up the Krasnodar Mountains.

The ice arena will also host the biggest ice spectacular ever to be staged outside Russia as 'Sochi – Small Stories of a Big City' takes place starring Russian ice skating greats such Olympic champion Tatiana Navka.

Meanwhile, Russia.Park will be a summer festival-style fun park, spread over 10,000sq m in Perks Field.

It will be packed with Russian culture, cuisine and sport, including cameos by some of Russia's leading Olympians and performances by folk artists from all over Russia.

"The world is fascinated by Russia, and Russia.Sochi.Park offers an opportunity to really experience all the sights, tastes, sounds and people of Russia," said the ROC President Alexander Zhukov.

London 2012 chief executive Paul Deighton also expressed his delight in seeing the final plans for Kensington Gardens this summer.

"I warmly welcome the Russian Olympic Committee to London, and look forward to Russia.Sochi.Park in London this summer," he said.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympi...ington-gardens

Russia.Sochi.Park_21-06-121.jpg

Russia.Sochi.Park_21-06-1211.jpg

Russia.Sochi.Park_21-06-12.jpg

Could Canada be in the dark, when it comes to broadcasting the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games? I heard in my local news today that the IOC rejected a CBC/Bell joint bid to be Canada's broadcasters for these Games.

Could Canada be in the dark, when it comes to broadcasting the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games? I heard in my local news today that the IOC rejected a CBC/Bell joint bid to be Canada's broadcasters for these Games.

I doubt it. As soon as the NHLPA and the NHL come to an agreement, Bell and CBC will probably submit separate packages which are wroth more.

• 3 weeks later...

Sportlotto Appointed Partner of Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games

Sportlotto Company has been appointed as an official Partner of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games in 2014 in category of “traditional lottery gaming programs“. The agreement was signed by Dmitry Chernyshenko, President and CEO of the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee, and Sergei Korovin, General Director of Sportlotto. As official partner of the Games, Sportlotto will be able to use its Partner status and combined logos in its marketing and communications.

Sportlotto will issue lottery tickets of 20, 30, 40 and 100 roubles denomination, bearing images of the Sochi 2014 logos and mascots. Over 100 million tickets will enter the draw and be in with the chance of winning 10 million roubles. Lottery tickets will go on sale from September 2012

Sochi 2014

At today’s International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session in London, the future hosts of the Olympic Winter Games – Sochi 2014 and PyeongChang 2018 – both made presentations outlining the development of their projects.

Led by their Organising Committee Presidents, Dmitry Chernyshenko and Jin Sun Kim, respectively, the two delegations showed Olympic projects at very different stages of development, with Sochi 562 days away, while PyeongChang’s Organising Committee was founded less than a year ago.

The Sochi experience

The Sochi 2014 presentation looked at a number of different areas of progress. They showed some impressive images of the advances being made in venue preparation, with events already taking place in the mountain cluster, and the coastal venues already well on their way to completion. Sochi will host 22 sports events this coming winter in order to make sure that all venues are fully tested before the Games in 2014, where 98 medal events will be held. Sochi 2014 is also focusing on the less tangible aspects of the Games, with many volunteers signing up for the Games, a small number of whom will be in London to gain experience; a very successful Cultural Olympiad, which is expected to reach one million people this year; live sites set up in 15 cities for London 2012; an Olympic Torch Relay plan that will reach all the regions of Russia and cover nine time zones; and Russia.Sochi.Park, where the Sochi delegation will help interested visitors learn about its project.

Metamorphosis

IOC Coordination Commission Chairman Jean-Claude Killy also spoke about the changes taking place on the Black Sea coast, when he said: “The metamorphosis of Sochi and its region continues. Progress is considerable and we can only be impressed by the developments made over the last 12 months. This year alone, the building sites linked to the organisation of the Games have provided work to up to 55,000 people per day! Most of the venues should be delivered on schedule, and we can say, with confidence, that the competition venues that will host the athletes participating in the Sochi Games will be extraordinary.”

IOC

Archived