Baku Crystal Hall

Upon completion in Spring 2012, located on National Flag Square - Baku Crystal Hall with its 23 000 seats to be the biggest indoor sport and concert arena in Azerbaijan. The construction is carried out by German Alpine Bau GmbH and the venue is expected to host Eurovision Song Contest 2012. Further, it is expected that Baku Crystal Hall will take part in Baku bid for Summber Olympics 2020.

ab93ffbaada0.jpg

Construction pictures - October 2011

03.jpg

04.jpg

Construction video - November 2011

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the update on the construction of Baku Crystal Hall as seen from up-land park. On the picture you can also see the expansion works of the seaside promenade and construction of a new highway

981819.jpg

978747.jpg

Photos by Mishele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=c1UanF3TW8Y&feature=player_embedded

MAYBE it will be ready by march... That promenade will look gorgeous ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crystal Hall approved as Eurovision 2012 venue

The EBU announces today that the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest will take place at the newly constructed Baku Crystal Hall. The Eurovision Song Contest Reference Group, the governing body of the Contest on behalf of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), approved the venue proposed by the Host Broadcaster, Ictimai TV.

Crystal_Hall2.jpg

Crystal_Hall.jpg

Crystal_Hall_Building.jpg

http://www.eurovisio...hotos?gal=45023

Guys, could you let me know if this boosts the bid of Baku for Olympics 2020? ESC is not a sport event but I wonder how all these preparations influence on IOC's desicion. I suppose construction of a brand new indoor venue with involvement of some top companies within a short period of time is something positive for IOC, isn't it?

Guys, could you let me know if this boosts the bid of Baku for Olympics 2020? ESC is not a sport event but I wonder how all these preparations influence on IOC's desicion. I suppose construction of a brand new indoor venue with involvement of some top companies within a short period of time is something positive for IOC, isn't it?

Well, actually, I gotta say, it has been impressive how quickly and efficiently they got it built, and it certainly is a very positive point they can emphasise in their bid.

I admit, I still have my doubts about Baku's chances to win the bid, but I have been very pleasantly surprised by their bid professionalism and drive so far. Well done Baku!

BAKU CRYSTAL HALL

Design and implementation of Crystal Hall for the Eurovision Song Contest

In May 2012, the Eurovision Song Contest will take place in Azerbaijan’s capital Baku at Crystal Hall. Alpine Bau Deutschland GmbH, the general contractor for the project, was contracted on August 2nd, 2011 to design and implement a multipurpose event-venue that is meant to accommodate 25,000 spectators.

This challenging task was undertaken by combining the efforts of gmp · Architekten von Gerkan, Marg und Partner, Alpine Bau Deutschland AG, and Nüssli International AG.

The Eurovision Song Contest takes place every year, which means that this striking crystal-shaped building on the peninsula near the city centre, right in the Caspian Sea and in the direct vicinity of one of the world’s highest flagpoles, had to be designed and constructed within a period of just eight months. The building is not a concert hall in the classical sense but a multi-functional indoor arena, which is intended to be a longer-term facility. Normally, event venues of comparable size, such as a football stadium, will require 4 to 5 years for design and construction.

Instead of the usual reinforced concrete construction, the building has been designed as a pure steel structure which consists of three independent parts, i.e. the membrane façade, the modular stadium itself and the interior roof. In order to be able to put up a building of the size of a football stadium in just a few months, design and construction proceed in parallel. An important tool in this complex process is the detailed visualisation of the entire work schedule: it covers and displays each step in chronological order in weekly sequences. A prerequisite for the success of this novel working method is the extensive experience in design, management and construction scheduling provided by the consortium, as well as very good communication between the design team and the construction companies.

The characteristic crystalline shape of the building and its illuminated façade is the response to Azerbaijan’s special request for the creation of a widely visible and visually effective landmark as a bridge between Asia and Europe that will be noticed in an international context. Different dynamic lighting scenarios are currently being programmed for the 9,500 LED lights to highlight the membrane façade and create moods appropriate for the different stages of the events.

Further details:

Seats 25,000

Length of hall approx. 206 m

Width of hall approx. 168 m

Height of hall approx. 25 m

Design and construction period July 2011 – March 2012

Source: gmp Architekten

206m and 168m...

Could it be a football stadium and the roof will only be temporary for ESC?

It will be used as a multifunctional sport and concert complex. The building will be permanent and some changes can occur only after Eurovision. So now we have to stick to the plans of preparation for ESC but then we'll see

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived