Stockholm 1912

Sir Rols

I don't think we've ever had a thread for the 1912 games. But here's a topic starter.

Stockholm to mark centenary of 1912 Olympic Games

Stockholm - The centenary of the 1912 Olympic Summer Games held in the Swedish capital Stockholm will be marked with scores of events next year, organizers said Monday.

The anniversary year opens with an ice festival in January and includes sporting events and geared at children and youth during the spring and summer.

A focal point is the Stockholm Stadium, inaugurated in 1912 and likely the oldest Olympic arena still in use.

Athletes from all five continents competed at the 1912 Olympic Games where organizers introduced new technology, such as a photo finish device.

The anniversary will also offer youth an opportunity to try out new sports events and exhibitions.

'The aim is that the anniversary will be a party that attracts people to sports, just like 100 years ago,' said Regina Kevius, Stockholm city councillor in charge of sports.

Other organizers include the Swedish Olympic Committee and the Swedish Sports Confederation.

Monsters & Critics

I know its off topic, but do you know if successful Commonwealth Games bids change logos after the announcement?

Way off topic!

\ :blink:

But, yes, like the Olympics, the bid logo is only for the bid. The actual games logo gets unveiled a year or so down the track.

The London 2012 games wil be the last normal year games... Cuz 2012/1912, 2008/1908... Etc.... So Rio 2016 wil be the first inedit games!

I know its off topic, but do you know if successful commonwealth Games bids change logos after the announcement?

Yeap!!! Havent you seen the Glasgow 2014 bid logo? It was better than the final one.

The London 2012 games wil be the last normal year games... Cuz 2012/1912, 2008/1908... Etc.... So Rio 2016 wil be the first inedit games!

Yeap!!! Havent you seen the Glasgow 2014 bid logo? It was better than the final one.

I felt the same way about Sydney 2000's.

Here is some information on the Stockholm Games:

http://en.wikipedia..../Stockholm_1912

What we should never forget is that many of these athletes would go on to loose their lives during the Great War.

Also this was the last time that the great European Empires would compete: Russia, Austria-Hungary, Ottoman, Germanic.

Archived