Toronto Considers 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's wide open for this place... :D

800px-SouthAfricanStub.png

Let Toronto bid. I think the US should consider bidding, but ultimately they must assess the field, and that depends on who wins 2020.

Yes, it's wide open for this place... :D

800px-SouthAfricanStub.png

Let Toronto bid. I think the US should consider bidding, but ultimately they must assess the field, and that depends on who wins 2020.

5 years down the road so who knows where South Africa's economy will be? or even Toronto's. But 2015 is the year Canada will be back in the green so there is motivation. Would a South Africa 2022 bid affect a 2024 bid?

Would a South Africa 2022 bid affect a 2024 bid?

U mean a 2022 CWG bid?

Not anymore than a 2014 WC commitment by Brazil stopped a Rio 2016 win. If anything, it's a "dress rehearsal." And remember, RSA already staged the Other Big One, the World Cup, with flying colors.

But I am sure the IOC would welcome a Toronto bid just so that Durban will have some company.

They should have bid for 2020. Missed opportunity.

And I think that 2024 might be a rehash of 2012. If Tokyo wins 2020 (and I really think things are lining up for Tokyo to win), 12 years means Europe is going to get 2024. So that puts another Toronto/NA games to 2032 because 2028 is a much more reasonable timeframe for South Africa.

They should have bid for 2020. Missed opportunity.

And I think that 2024 might be a rehash of 2012. If Tokyo wins 2020 (and I really think things are lining up for Tokyo to win), 12 years means Europe is going to get 2024. So that puts another Toronto/NA games to 2032 because 2028 is a much more reasonable timeframe for South Africa.

I follow that reasoning. I think it's getting to the point where North America has a pretty compelling case for Summer Games. South Africa may as well, assuming the technical quality is there. Europe does have a disproportionate number of IOC members. I still think it's too early to hand 2024 to Europe and 2028 to SA. North America, be it Toronto or the US, will have a strong argument for both those Games and could win either one.

I agree that Tokyo's looking good for 2020, but just a few months ago they were regarded by most as a non-starter. Just goes to show that a lot can change. If the rule of 8's is broken, if Asia hosts back to back Games, it's safe to say that the overall picture is shifting. I don't think Tokyo 2020 would cement 2024 for Europe..

I cannot imagine the IOC going 16 years between European hostings. And South Africa is going to host at some point.

I can. Particularly if Europe's economy continues to crumble and if they host 2022. As for SA, many thought they had 2020 in the bag. There's no guarantee they'll bid, there's no guarantee the bid will be good enough, there's no guarantee financial realities won't call for a return to the US sooner rather than later.

I do see a lot of merit behind your 2032 prediction, however I think there are still a lot of unknowns and I'm not ready to rule out North American chances for 2024 or 2028.

I look at it like this.

North America made a huge mistake by not bidding for 2020 because 2024 is all but a lock for South Africa especially now since they have even more time to prepare and again especially now when the world knows they want it. Why does it matter that the world knows that they want it so far from the bidding process? Well it's important because the IOC has been saying for years now in recent history that it should go to Africa plain and simple. The reality is all South Africa has to do is put forth not even tan ok bid but a competent bid and they will get 2024 no matter who wins the 2020 race or who is bidding for 2024 people who want to host the games should have bid in 2020 and that goes out to you USA and you Canada because

2020 (Tokyo Doha Istanbul) Europe will not win so close to London not to mention the economic worries. leaving only the asian and the middle eastern countries to battle

2024 (Africa) Lets not kid ourselves it's going to go there

2028 (Europe) Hell no will the games be kept off of European soil so long

2032 (North America) ok Now they're ready for you. The prob here will be if Toronto and a US city bid at the same time they might steal votes from each other.thus causing someone else to win

This one is tricky. Bcuz I also don't see Europe going 16 years without a Games. They'll get either 2020 or 2024.

N if Tokyo does indeed wind up with 2020, that means even if South Africa were to bid for 2024, then they'll have to put forth one heck of a bid for the IOC to bypass Europe for the first time for 16 years for a Summer Games.

N yeah, Europe's economy could still be questionable for 2024, but so could North America's. It's not like the U.S. Has been totally immune to all of this financial upheaval.

I can. Particularly if Europe's economy continues to crumble and if they host 2022. As for SA, many thought they had 2020 in the bag. There's no guarantee they'll bid, there's no guarantee the bid will be good enough, there's no guarantee financial realities won't call for a return to the US sooner rather than later.

I do see a lot of merit behind your 2032 prediction, however I think there are still a lot of unknowns and I'm not ready to rule out North American chances for 2024 or 2028.

Germany and Russia are doing fine, and France should get out of this alright. 2024 is decided 6 years from now, the world economy should be better by then and it will not have the same impact that it will have for 2020.

And financial realities? The IOC is not beholden to any one country right now, nor should they be in the future, and if they were in a bind to stage a games, it would not be the United States they would go to. It would be China.

2004-2006, 2012-2014. Europe hosting 2022-2024 is not something that it is out of the question. And again, mixing summer and winter. If the US doesn't bid for 2022, the IOC has only one choice, to go to Europe. So that is not going to impact 2024.

The 2020 race hasn't even warmed up yet...

I still think it is anyone's race between Rome, Madrid, Istanbul and Tokyo. The crisis in Europe will simmer down, and the race will tighten up in the next two years.

Regarding the lack of a North American bidder -

I think the US and Canada were SMART to sit out the 2020 race. The IOC was not going to award back-to-back summer hostings to cities with very close time zones in the same hemisphere. Toronto is immersed in their preparations for the PanAms, which would be a good platform to make their case to the IOC AFTER they host in 2015.

The US still has not rebuilt their relations with the IOC, and there was a lack of interest from domestic cities to bid. Only possibles were LA, Las Vegas and Tulsa. Hardly a compelling field.

If Tokyo wins 2020, then surely 2024 will be a European showdown. 2028 would then certainly be ripe for South Africa, so next would be 2032 for Canada or the US. Again, this is just a scenario, and this could look completely different depending on who wins, and who bids in the next several cycles.

You are right that the crisis will be over by 2013 (hopefully), but I think the overall damage will be done to Rome and Madrid. Italy's economy is contracting at a rate of more then 2%, unemployment will still be high and I have my doubts about public support for both bids in the current state of affairs in both countries. I think just like with 1989 to 1993 with Beijing, the damage is done.

I look at it like this.

North America made a huge mistake by not bidding for 2020 because 2024 is all but a lock for South Africa especially now since they have even more time to prepare and again especially now when the world knows they want it. Why does it matter that the world knows that they want it so far from the bidding process? Well it's important because the IOC has been saying for years now in recent history that it should go to Africa plain and simple. The reality is all South Africa has to do is put forth not even tan ok bid but a competent bid and they will get 2024 no matter who wins the 2020 race or who is bidding for 2024 people who want to host the games should have bid in 2020 and that goes out to you USA and you Canada because

2020 (Tokyo Doha Istanbul) Europe will not win so close to London not to mention the economic worries. leaving only the asian and the middle eastern countries to battle

2024 (Africa) Lets not kid ourselves it's going to go there

2028 (Europe) Hell no will the games be kept off of European soil so long

2032 (North America) ok Now they're ready for you. The prob here will be if Toronto and a US city bid at the same time they might steal votes from each other.thus causing someone else to win

Very fair points, well-reasoned.

There is still so much time for the picture to change though. It is impossible to foresee all that will happen in the next two decades. I'm still not going to rule out North America for 2024 and 2028, considering by 2028 the continent will have waited 32 years for Summer Games.

The IOC is not beholden to any one country right now, nor should they be in the future, and if they were in a bind to stage a games, it would not be the United States they would go to. It would be China.

Between the TOP sponsors and the tv rights, the US bankrolls far more of the Olympics than anybody else. China isn't even close. American Games would make more money for the IOC than Games held anywhere else in the world. As an economic power, China is on the rise, but that isn't translating into financial gain for the IOC. If the IOC decides they need money, they'll turn to the US.

Between the TOP sponsors and the tv rights, the US bankrolls far more of the Olympics than anybody else. China isn't even close. American Games would make more money for the IOC than Games held anywhere else in the world. As an economic power, China is on the rise, but that isn't translating into financial gain for the IOC. If the IOC decides they need money, they'll turn to the US.

And yet, TOP sponsors continue to line up to be associated with the IOC with or without the games in the USA and the IOC has the richest American TV contract in history for 4 games that will almost certainly not be in the USA. Go figure. If the IOC needs a host that can pull off a spectacular games to give the movement a lift, they will go to China.

Archived