2022 Commonwealth Games

Sir Rols

I don't really think Canada deserve the centential considering how they've neglected the games in recent years.

I think that's all the more reason that Canada should host again - I think it's important the CGF engage Canada more. It would be a pity to see them lose interest.

Anyway, I think Canada's always been a positive host for the games. They have a knack for bringing them back down to earth and stage them on a reasonable scale.

I think that's all the more reason that Canada should host again - I think it's important the CGF engage Canada more. It would be a pity to see them lose interest.

Anyway, I think Canada's always been a positive host for the games. They have a knack for bringing them back down to earth and stage them on a reasonable scale.

Canada needs the games! :lol: THere are many sports on the program that Canadians could care less about (netball for example) and thus the tradition needs to come back to its birthplace!

Tell that to Athens. I don't really think Canada deserve the centential considering how they've neglected the games in recent years. I'd still put London as favourite for 2030. BTW, why did they begin in Canada and not in the UK?

Bobby Robinson created and organized the British Empire Games. Being a sports reported for the Hamiton Spectator and a citizen of Hamilton he pushed to have Hamilton host the first games.

The Robinson family is well known in Hanilton, schools named after Bobby Robinson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melville_Marks_Robinson

• 1 month later...
Interest growing for Commonwealth Games city bids, claims CGF President

January 19 - Malaysia's Prince Tunku Imran, the new President of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), has claimed that giving flexibility to host cities of the Commonwealth Games is helping to create more interest in bidding for prestigious competition.

In November last year, Australia's Gold Coast were awarded the right to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games following a hard-fought battle with Hambantota in Sri Lanka in a bid race that many experts consider one the most exciting and unpredictable in the history of the event.

A number of countries have already expressed a provisional interest in hosting the event in the near future, including South Africa, Canada and New Zealand and Prince Imran, who is also a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), believes such interest is being created because of the flexibility afforded to host cities by the CGF.

"The Commonwealth Games continues to grow and our future is bright," he said here in Innsbruck at the Association of International Press for Sports (AIPS) Congress.

"The next edition of the Games takes place in July 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland, following that the Gold Coast in Australia in 2018, and already strong expressions of interest have been made in relation to both 2022 and 2026.

"This interest, I believe is enhanced through the flexible approach we take in setting our sports programme, potential bids have substantial flexibility to develop a programme that will meet their aspirations, particularly from a legacy perspective."

more at Insidethegames

Depends. I cannot completely discount either. Both are dependant on South Africa, and the Olympics on the USA. The sooner South Africa hosts the CWG, the sooner the Canada will get into the CWG. As for the Olympics, pray for Istanbul. It will be damaging to both Europe and Asia, and damaging the chances of a 3rd straight developing nation Olympics. A European win would also be somewhat beneficial. But if Gangwon is right in what he posted in the Sochi thread, the IOC isn't going to come knocking if there the Canadian broadcasts snob the IOC.

Depends. I cannot completely discount either. Both are dependant on South Africa, and the Olympics on the USA. The sooner South Africa hosts the CWG, the sooner the Canada will get into the CWG. As for the Olympics, pray for Istanbul. It will be damaging to both Europe and Asia, and damaging the chances of a 3rd straight developing nation Olympics. A European win would also be somewhat beneficial. But if Gangwon is right in what he posted in the Sochi thread, the IOC isn't going to come knocking if there the Canadian broadcasts snob the IOC.

In the end I think the IOC will get their way (for tv contract). I can see Istanbul winning 2020 certainly especially with two out of the three credible bids struggling financially and the other that would come two years after Pyeonchang.

• 1 month later...

2022 shaping up to being a good race btwn Canada, RSA, Singapore and maybe Christchurch, NZL

:angry: Errr...No Christchurch!... Trust me, the city will not be able to recover in time, it really IS that bad! They still don't know where the new Lancaster Park will go...or what it will look like.

:) However an unusual development in Auckland has revealed it'self in today's Sunday Papers. The developers/owners of North Habour Stadium are trying to entice the Auckland Blues 'Super Rugby' franchise over the bridge and has included a $40million redevelopment of the stadium up to a 30k pax AND a retractable roof! (ever since covered Dunedin Stadium opened, other centres have finally taken notice.)

'This development will open the ground up to more 'international' events including a future Commonwealth Games bid'...the North Habour community board mentioned and they also said that the area has a 350k population to draw on and believe the stadium would be rebuilt by 2020.

If all these bids come to fruition, then the interest in wanting to host the CWG will have increased substantially. Anyway, I read an Insidethegames article about Singapore wanting to bid for 2022. Having already hosted the 2010 YOG, a bid from them is possible. Of course, the city-state is concentrating on preparing to host the 2015 Southeast Asian Games.

Nooo! North Harbour Stadium, is a reasonable choice as an athletics stadium (when altered to such), using as much existing venue infrastructure. Considerably cheaper than building a new venue and room for a sports park type setup.

Archived