2022 Commonwealth Games

Sir Rols

I guess it's time to start a general 2022 CWGs thread, and a nice article quoting the new chief, Tunku Imran, to kick it off:

I want lots of bidders for 2022 Commonwealth Games says new President

November 14 - Prince Tunku Imran, the new Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) President, has revealed he is hopeful that as many nations as possible will come forward to bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

The influential Malaysian replaced Jamaica's Mike Fennell as CGF President here at the organisation's recent General Assembly, in a gathering that also saw Australia's Gold Coast defeat sole rivals Hambantota of Sri Lanka for the right to stage the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The 70 voting delegates in attendance in St Kitts and Nevis voted by 43 votes to 27 in favour of the Gold Coast meaning that Australia will now host the competition for the fifth time.

But despite Sri Lanka missing out on the chance to stage the competition for the first time ever, Prince Imran said that he wants to take the prestigious event to virgin territories in the future and feels that Hambantota would be very strong bidders for 2022 if they keep their promise of building sporting venues in the region despite the loss.

"2018 was a very good bid race, which was great to see, but I think at the end of the day, the membership simply looked at the risk factor and saw that the Gold Coast was far lower risk than Hambantota's medium to high risk, just as the Evaluation Commission had reported earlier this year" the 63-year-old told insidethegames.

"Of course I would like to see Hambantota return in 2022 because I think they would be able to put up a real fight for the competition once again.

"I think Hambantota, if they do what they said will do in terms of developing the area and creating the Sports City within the time lines that they have indicated, can be an extremely strong bidder in 2022.

"But I'd also like to see many other countries and cities bid in 2022 because we want really do want to take the Commonwealth Games to new places when they are ready.

"Many Commonwealth countries haven't had that confidence to bid like Malaysia did for the 1998 event and Delhi did for the 2010 event.

"But there are a number of Commonwealth cities and countries I can think of that have never bid before but that could do the Games very, very well.

"Singapore and South Africa are two obvious examples."

Singapore may be encouraged to bid especially after the success of last year's Summer Youth Olympic Games, which was attended by more than 3,500 athletes from 205 countries.

Other countries that may put forward candidates are England and New Zealand.

Prince Imran, who is also President of the Olympic Council of Malaysia and an International Olympic Committee (IOC) member, takes over from Fennell (pictured left), who was in the role for 17 years, and the Malaysian has praised the contribution of his predecessor.

"Mike Fennell has done a brilliant job as the leader of the Commonwealth Games Movement for a long period," he said.

"That will never be forgotten.

"But I feel that this is now the time for a major review of where we are going moving forwards.

"I am obviously new as the CGF President but I have served for 11 years as vice-president so it is not as if I don't know the federation and its workings.

"We have already taken our first steps in the review process and we hope at our General Assembly next year in Uganda that we will have a full strategy with regards to the Commonwealth Games in terms of its governance, structure, sports programme and in terms of how we handle international federations and engage with all of our stakeholders."

Professionally, Prince Imran is a qualified barrister, company chairman and director, while he has also held a number of high-ranking positions in world sport, including the Presidency of the World Squash Federation (WSF) from 1989 to 1996.

In addition, he was an executive board member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) from 1997 to 1999 and again from 2001 to 2008 and while he says his other various positions are not imperative in his role as CGF President, he says they are certainly a benefit in helping the Commonwealth stay connected with other major international sports organisations.

"I think things like my IOC membership are useful rather than crucial," Prince Imran explained.

"Anyone can be President of the Commonwealth Games Federation as long as they have the commitment and dedication to do the job.

"But obviously having connections like being in the IOC, being on the International Council of Arbitration for Sport (ICAS), being formally involved in other international federations like squash and cricket, does certainly help us stay connected with the world of sport."

Insidethegames

Nice to see Singapore in the frame, but I do think that South Africa (Durban?) just has to mail in their intentions to bid, and the national associations can already start booking their airfares to to the Rainbow Nation.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to se:

2022 Durban

2026 Singapore

2030 Hamilton/Toronto

I guess it's time to start a general 2022 CWGs thread, and a nice article quoting the new chief, Tunku Imran, to kick it off:

Nice to see Singapore in the frame, but I do think that South Africa (Durban?) just has to mail in their intentions to bid, and the national associations can already start booking their airfares to to the Rainbow Nation.

2022 Durban

2026 Singapore

2030 Hamilton/Toronto

2030 will be Hamilton it can't be elsewhere. Maybe an event or two in Toronto (like soccer which Hamilton proposed as part of their 2010 bid). Will Singapore be reluctant to bid? Twice the amount of athletes as the Youth Olympics.

2022 Durban

2026 Singapore

2030 Hamilton/Toronto

I would be very happy with that. Follow up with an English city, Cardiff, Australia, maybe even Hambantota or Abuja and you have a solid looking future for the Games in the coming decades which is more than we could say not that long ago.

The new president may want a lot of bidders for 2022 but I wonder whether a South African bid might actually frighten off others. I agree with Rols that it's theirs to lose if they want it, but I'm not exactly convinced that they do.

Looking further ahead, I understand the historic significance of going back to Hamilton for 2030, but surely a bid by a British city, particularly London, would be nearly impossible to turn down.

The new president may want a lot of bidders for 2022 but I wonder whether a South African bid might actually frighten off others. I agree with Rols that it's theirs to lose if they want it, but I'm not exactly convinced that they do.

Looking further ahead, I understand the historic significance of going back to Hamilton for 2030, but surely a bid by a British city, particularly London, would be nearly impossible to turn down.

I could see that happening as well, especially if TOronto has not won an Olympics by then.

Well, I think this is far as the West Indies' chances go for a while now:

St Lucia to host 2017 Commonwealth Youth Games

November 13 - Castries, the capital of St Lucia, has been chosen to host the sixth Commonwealth Youth Games in 2017, it has been announced.

The decision was ratified at the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) General Assembly here by the organisation's Executive Board after St Lucia, which is located in the eastern Caribbean Sea, expressed an interest in hosting the event earlier this year.

The competition is a small-scale version of the Commonwealth Games and is designed for the youth of the 71 Commonwealth countries for athletes aged between 14 and 18 years old.

The first edition of the competition was held in Edinburgh in 2000 and it has grown ever since.

The Isle of Man successfully staged the competition earlier this year in September when 800 athletes competed across 110 events in seven sports.

Apia the capital of Samoa was selected as the hosts of the 2015 edition of the competition back at the last CGF General Assembly in 2008.

Six years ago, the CGF made the decision to stage the Commonwealth Youth Games outside of the Olympic year following the conclusion of the Pune 2008 competition to help enhance the reputation of the event.

As with the Commonwealth Games, every country is invited to compete in the event.

Castries is well known as a major tourist area due to its tropical weather and scenery and its numerous beaches and resorts.

Some of the main tourist attractions include a drive-in volcano, the Botanical Gardens, a world heritage site, the rain forests and Pigeon Island National Park – which is home to Fort Rodney, an old British military base.

Insidethegames

since the president is from Malaysia...why just give them to put great show again..they did a great job last time,in 2022 this country already reach develop country,with stable economy,rich of culture -see you in putrajaya 2022!

unled1xgr.jpg

Why would they return to Malaysia when there are options in Asia available like Hambantota and Singapore? If there wasn't Singapore maybe a fighting chance when the games return back to Asia.

12 years not 18. Melbourne was the only bidder for 2006 and Gold Coast was the only serious bidder for 2018.

As for 2030. If the CCWGC sits out bidding until 2030, then I really don't see any reason to not go to Canada. Malaysia, England, Australia x2, India, Scotland and probably South Africa and hopefully Singapore would have hosted since Victoria. The only real competition I would think would be Cardiff or Auckland. And I am pretty sure when Canada bids again it will be with Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver. So Birmingham or Newcastle just won't cut it.

More firm details on a South African bid (even if not quite confirmation yet):

Gideon Sam could lead South Africa bid for 2022 Commonwealth Games

November 15 - South Africa's Gideon Sam, the new vice-president of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), has hinted that his promotion to the high ranking position could potentially help him to lead a bid from his country for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Sam was elected to one of the two CGF vice-presidency slots, along with Canada's Bruce Robertson, here at the organisation's General Assembly in a tight contest that saw Kenya's Kip Keino and England's Ian Emmerson just miss out on the prestigious positions.

The gathering also saw Prince Tunku Imran take over from Mike Fennell as CGF President, but the big news was that Australia's Gold Coast defeated sole rivals Hambantota of Sri Lanka in the race for the 2018 Commonwealth Games by 43 votes to 27.

With Australia set to host the event for the fifth time in 2018, the CGF are keen to take their blue ribbon competition to new territories, with South Africa thought to be a particular preference after the country successfully staged the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

A successful South African 2022 bid seems even more likely now that Sam is CGF vice-president and he revealed that discussions about a potential bid from either Johannesburg or Durban are currently on the table.

Durban had been widely tipped to launch a bid for the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics but the plan was abandoned after the Government refused to back it.

A Commonwealth Games, however, appears more likely.

"As a continent, we have not given up the dream of hosting these [Commonwealth] Games and when you are inside these international boards, you are afforded the opportunity to better understand the dynamics at play in international sport," said Sam, who is also President of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC).

"For example, South Africa's Sam Ramsamy is an International Olympic Committee (IOC) member and through his efforts, we were able to host the IOC Session in Durban recently.

"So it is always an advantage to be closer to where the decision making takes place.

"We have always held strong views about the Commonwealth Games and we will continue to do so.

"We will sit down with Government and Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula and consider whether it is something worth doing.

"A bid is something I can now seriously look at as vice president but over and above this, the role of the two vice-presidents is to assist the President in the running of the Federation."

Paena Galane, spokesperson for the South African Sports Minister, added that it is something the country is interested in but that no firm decisions on the matter will be made in the immediate future.

"We welcome all opportunities that will profile the country internationally," said Galane.

"We are talking of a national sports and recreation plan now at the 2011 National Sports Indaba [a major planning consultative conference in Johannesburg organised by Sport and Recreation South Africa later this month] and within that, we will have a bid strategy in terms of all the major sporting events.

"That will guide us."

Insidethegames.com

Interesting that Jo'burg's in the frame.

:mellow: South Africa would be more safer to push for Durban, due to it's sea level placing. Jo'burg is hamstrung by altitude.

Wonder what ever happened to Cape Town and it hosting the CWGs, OSGs et al?

Cape Town limited its opportunities when it made its new stadium football-specific.

Durban's Moses Madhiba, on the other hand, was designed with exactly this sort of future opportunity in mind.

:mellow: South Africa would be more safer to push for Durban, due to it's sea level placing. Jo'burg is hamstrung by altitude.

Compiting at sea level is of course the best for athletes! Great for Durban!

Singapore?

Singapore! :mellow:

Since GBs creation, everyone has wanted Singapore to bid...If they went for it - It would be a torrid two horse race between it and Durban, with Hambantota a third player.

Those are possibilities for sure. I would love to see the Caribbean region, like Kingston, Jamaica, in 1966, host one. As for Canada though, that is a tough one to gauge. To me on that issue, the whole idea will depend on the federal government, especially if Canadians vote in Harper AGAIN :angry: for a couple to 4 years more after having him for 9 years in office in 2015. Sadly, that is the same time that the 2022 Commonwealth Games will be awarded.

• 3 weeks later...

Tell that to Athens. I don't really think Canada deserve the centential considering how they've neglected the games in recent years. I'd still put London as favourite for 2030. BTW, why did they begin in Canada and not in the UK?

Canada were asked to stage the games. If a Canadian bid did come up I think the centennial and the fact that they wouldn't have hosted for 36 years will work in their favour.

Archived