Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nobase2010

You missed the cauldron

I was watching the 2011 Sea game. It seems the last torch bearer missed the cauldron when she tried to throw the spear like torch. Plus the cauldron actually was lit before the flame even touched the cauldron.

I provided the link but you have to watch it on the Youtube website. So click on the screen that says "Watch on Youtube," too see the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3DDco5Qbs

:angry: OMG!! What the HELL was that suppose to be????

The Indoneseans are sooo bad at this sort of thing (I lived in Jakarta back in the late 90's), they go way over the top to impress but blow it all the time.

At least she didn't bump into it. How lame to have sooooooooooo many cliche "opening ceremonies" type shows at all these sport events.The music is the same, the lame "world peace" type themes and the oddly overbearing "Disneyesqe" production. What a bore. Next wannabe.

We're discussing about the cauldron blooper also in the "Ceremonies on Youtube" thread. Let me repost something I wrote there:

I've found this article which is very interesting in hindsight:

Susi Susanti nervous ahead of SEA Games spear throw theatrics

It's interesting to read that Susi Susanti (the final torchbearer) obviously wasn't too certain beforehand that the cauldron lighting would work. And rightfully so. I guess she should rather have said "no" when she heard "of the complicated theatrics involved in the ceremony".

And it's also interesting that this Singaporean journalist obviously was too polite to mention the cauldron blooper (he just speaks of "some technical glitches during the opening ceremony"): Indonesia put on a glitzy show to welcome the region's best athletes

/\/\ Also, did anyone notice how sparse the infield was of people/athletes? The stadium is so big that I think performers outnumbered athletes to maybe like 4 or 5-1.