Hambantota 2026

deawebo

Although I have said elsewhere, I would like the Games to be spread out more and be of a manageable scale which is affordable for smaller cities otherwise you will run out of viable hosts. Question remains for me, is Hambantota a viable host?

If they build their city up they have the most compact plan ever.

Hambantota will bid for 2022 with everything but the Velodrome and athlete's village in place.

There might be a tweak from their 2018 bid with perhaps a new major arena or a slight change in sports.

A 2022 bid likely will have track cycling dropped. There are rumors Nigeria voted against the bid (therefore convincing other African countries) because Archery would have replaced basketball (from the Gold Coast's bid) in which Nigeria is strong.

If they build their city up they have the most compact plan ever.

A 2022 bid likely will have track cycling dropped. There are rumors Nigeria voted against the bid (therefore convincing other African countries) because Archery would have replaced basketball (from the Gold Coast's bid) in which Nigeria is strong.

If that were the case, then perhaps the CGF should consider putting a proper defined list of sports, not this core sports and others deal. Even if it meant increasing the number of sports in the program.

I'd go for:

Athletics*

Aquatics (Swimming and Diving)

Badminton

Basketball**

Boxing

Cricket

Cycling

Gymnastics**

Hockey

Judo***

Lawn Bowls

Netball

Rowing

Rugby 7's*

Shooting

Table Tennis

Tennis

Triathlon

Weightlifting

Wrestling***

*Can be shared venue (Athletics and Rugby 7's)

**Can be shared venue (Basketball (finals) and Gymnastics)

***Can be shared venue (Judo and Wrestling)

We have here around 21 sports, compared to 26 at the 2012 Olympics (note some are not Olympic Sports).

To increase flexibility, the Commonwealth Games should be expanded to a 14 or even 16 day format, than the current 11 day format.

To help lower costs, there should be more baseline capacities for events.

Athletics - 25,000

Aquatics (Swimming and Diving) - 5,000 (total)

Badminton - 1,000

Basketball - 1,000 (Prelims) 5,000 (Finals)

Boxing - 1,000

Cricket - 5,000 (can be mixed seated stands and lawn)

Cycling - 2,000

Gymnastics - 5,000

Hockey - 5,000 (can be 1 or 2 fields)

Judo - 1,000

Lawn Bowls - 1,000

Netball - 2,000

Rowing - 5,000

Rugby 7's - 5,000

Shooting - 1,000

Table Tennis - 1,000

Tennis - 3,000 (for main court)

Triathlon - unlimited

Weightlifting - 1,000 (can use existing theater or amphitheater or plenary hall)

Wrestling - 1,000

Temporary venues will be favoured if the legacy of a venue is deemed not appropriate or non justifiable post Commonwealth Games, as long as they meet International Federation guidelines. One such venue would be Rowing, assuming an adequate stretch of water is available, then temporary stands could be placed for the event.

If a larger venue (fully seated) is available for ceremonies, that should be considered, otherwise the Athletics venue will be adequate.

By lowering Athletics (and therefore ceremonies) capacity to 25,000, a considerably far greater scope of Commonwealth cities and nations can host, without the need for extravagantly expanding their stadiums or proposing to build such specifically for the event (even if it were downsized post Commonwealth Games).

If that were the case, then perhaps the CGF should consider putting a proper defined list of sports, not this core sports and others deal. Even if it meant increasing the number of sports in the program.

Christ NO, please!

That's one of the best things about the CWGs that set them apart from the rest, the fact that the games can be tailored by the individual host. So what if the roster leads to some implications for the vote? It's just another factor in a city's campaign plans - and anyway, the IFs have their influence and preferred locations form any campaign anyway.

And why would you wanna make the CWGs bigger? The size is about right now for a good second-tier event that is within reach of commonwealth cities who couldn't dream of an olympics. Much bigger, and i think they could very well face more criticisms and be at risk. There's no reason for them to get more bloated - in the CWGs case, I do think less is more.

You make it bigger in sports only. Capacity guidelines will be far less. Applicants and hosts must stick to the guidelines stated by the CGF and IF's.

"The size is about right now for a good second-tier event that is within reach of commonwealth cities who couldn't dream of an olympics." That's what the Youth Olympics is for. If this were the case, then why aren't cities upon cities trying to bid?

Sports should be defined clearly so potential bidding cities know their strengths and limits. Lower capacities permit them to use venues not within IOC guidelines so therefore overall a smaller scale event.

If the Pan Ams, Asian Games, South East Asian Games, South Asian Games, East Asian Games, etc can put up the whole IOC list of sports and a couple more, then why couldn't the CGF with their list of sports?

A definite must however, is the main venue requirement, it should be at around 25,000 not 40,000.

I only just found out that hambantota has a population of 11000 thats not even enough for an opening ceremony

lets say this even, by 2018 lets say the population doubles 22000 (doubling in 7 years is ridiculous but it makes my point) thats still noy enough for a big stadium

an opening ceremony should have over 50000 people there thats almost 5 times the population of hambantota

i realize that they are building up but seriously they dont have the capacity to house 200000 people for the games (200000 is a rough guess) im just saying that the population is unbelibly tiny, if they want to have it give it to colombo i mean 11000 people is nothing i'd want that much for a swimming event haha

I only just found out that hambantota has a population of 11000 thats not even enough for an opening ceremony

lets say this even, by 2018 lets say the population doubles 22000 (doubling in 7 years is ridiculous but it makes my point) thats still noy enough for a big stadium

an opening ceremony should have over 50000 people there thats almost 5 times the population of hambantota

i realize that they are building up but seriously they dont have the capacity to house 200000 people for the games (200000 is a rough guess) im just saying that the population is unbelibly tiny, if they want to have it give it to colombo i mean 11000 people is nothing i'd want that much for a swimming event haha

the populations of the district was 500,000 and by 2018 2.5 million ppl would be an hour away by car.

:mellow: I was under the impression that Hambantota was being rebuilt as a 'planned' sports hub for the region?

Eventually the new airport, highways and rapid rail would serve the city to the major population areas...

Personally I see nothing wrong with this concept, a clever use of development funds and Sri Lanka looking foward?

You make it bigger in sports only. Capacity guidelines will be far less. Applicants and hosts must stick to the guidelines stated by the CGF and IF's.

If the Pan Ams, Asian Games, South East Asian Games, South Asian Games, East Asian Games, etc can put up the whole IOC list of sports and a couple more, then why couldn't the CGF with their list of sports?

A definite must however, is the main venue requirement, it should be at around 25,000 not 40,000.

Except the CWGs isn't a continental event like the Asiads or All-Africans or Pan-Ams. It's pan-continental, which means none of its events are Olympic qualifiers, and its emotional link is the “Commonwealth”, hence its emphasis on more traditional “Commonwealth Sports”.

I still don't see how you can add more and more sports willy-nilly, and still somehow “downsize” them. One of the big criticisms already levelled at the Commies is that they are getting too big in scale. Why do you need to exacerbate that?

"The size is about right now for a good second-tier event that is within reach of commonwealth cities who couldn't dream of an olympics." That's what the Youth Olympics is for. If this were the case, then why aren't cities upon cities trying to bid?

Then why aren't the YOGs getting a huge rush of candidates. Already, the 2016 WYOGs are going to go to Lillehammer by default because no-one else put their hands up. The YOGs also don't attract a class field – at best it's a kindergarten warm up jamboree for possible future senior Olympic aspirants. The YOGs are still an unproven concept struggling to get any type of profile, much less come close to rivalling the CWGs, Francophonie games, Asiads, Pan-Ams, All-Africans .. or even the Gay Games for that matter.

At the end of the day, I just personally like the CGF formula for the sports roster and allowing individual ciuties and countries to tailor the games to themselves. I wish the IOC would follow the same type of formula (and I do know it has been considering it).

• 2 months later...

Archived