Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Athensfan

Are the Olympics too humanistic?

With the sudden resurgence of threads about the existence of God, the following question popped into mind:

Are the Olympic Games becoming excessively humanistic?

I remember sitting in the Athens Opening Ceremony (which on the whole I loved) and starting to feel a bit uncomfortable. The ceremony started feeling like a worship service in praise of humanity. It almost took on a faintly cultic feel. This isn't the first or last ceremony where I've gotten this vibe from the Games.

I think it's wonderful to celebrate humanity's potential -- our capacity for peace, indiscriminate kindness, determination, excellence. Those are all wonderful things. But I do not think they should become the focus of what increasingly resembles religious fervor.

The Games are and must always be for all people --secular or spiritual, irrespective of creed. However I would hate to see a worship of ourselves -- the human race -- rise up to take center stage. As a person of faith, that feels wrong to me.

Please share your thoughts. I'm interested to hear others views on this topic.

Someday i was thinking the same... And i think religious points of view mist be carefully touched and... The olympics ideal is uniting the world with sports so... Maybe the religious fact should stay emm deep in our minds... Still i think thats the reason why many people see istanbul as the favorite... Is a musulm state.... :S

:mellow: Human endurance is what it really is all about, isn't it? I have to admit, i really haven't noticed the 'religious' aspect of the Opening Ceremony, more the spectical...which is what it should be taken for.

Nothing wrong with celebrating ourselves and our acheivements - that's entirely what the Olympics should be about - but the Olympic movement does take itself way too seriously at times. Their seat at the UN, their declarations that China will be changed by the Olympic movement when any criticism was levelled, the Olympic "truce" which apparently this year has been agreed by more countries than ever etc. And this overbearing seriousness has reflected in some aspects of the ceremonies,yes, but the ceremonies are only a part of the Games and for me, a not hugely important part. Put on a show, sure, but let's get on with the sport.

I hope London will take itself and the Games a little less seriously than past hosts, and I hope that's reflected in the tone of the ceremonies. That's not to say they should be any less excellent, just less serious, less 'religious' in its worshipping of its own ideas I suppose, yes.

Reno will return the Games in honoring Zeus!!! Denver will honor of the Sasquatch!!

BTW, am seeing THE IMMORTALS later, AND a great event will be unveiled later!!

When I first saw the subject title, I started thinking "are we suggested the Olympics allow robots to compete?!!"

I don't think it's an issue. I can see where someone looks back at Beijing's OC and think that way, but that was 1 nation trying to show itself off to the world having never gotten that kind of stage before. London isn't going to do that. Rio I doubt will do that. And even Athens, for all their celebration of history and achievement, didn't really have those types of undertones that it was more than a story of their country and what they view as their contributions to the world.

The Olympics are still about promoting peace and uniting the world through sport. Maybe that message has gotten a little lost, but I blame our fast-paced instant status update YouTube/Twitter/Facebook culture for that one. To me, the Olympics are still the ultimate event when it comes to sports and I don't see that changing (or needing to change) anytime soon.