Decision in St Kitts

Sir Rols

:blink: Woooooooh boo boo boo boo boooh! :blink:

<_< And with JimJones' return from exile...even more so! :lol:

Don't get your hopes up - I can't see GBMod unbanning him.

Anyway, for you Alex. JJ's last post on the GCB site before the vote (he's been quiet since the decision). I've refrained from posting all of his others in the lead-up to save you from getting too ... ahem ... excited.

paul taylor Posted On 11:04pm Friday

The problem for Gold Coast applying for the job of host is that Australia has never won in a vote the games thou hosting 4 times. Gold Coast 2018 may indeed be too soon after Melbourne 2006 or Meloburne 74' after Perth 62' . Tiny Christchurch beat Mighty Melbourne for the 74' games by a 36 to 2 margin. Australians assume way too much from voters who have the longest air transit for Australian hosted games.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ottawa has shown preliminary interest. But I doubt the COC supports it cuz of a likely Toronto 2024 bid.

Oooo i've forgotten Ottawa in my posible hosts list. Yeap! I dont think Canada will bid for the 2022 CG mainly for Toronto.... Now... If Toronto is elected as winner Canada will go hungry for the CG

Don't get your hopes up - I can't see GBMod unbanning him.

Anyway, for you Alex. JJ's last post on the GCB site before the vote (he's been quiet since the decision). I've refrained from posting all of his others in the lead-up to save you from getting too ... ahem ... excited.

It's interesting that you keep monitoring him Rols ;)

Anyway, I don't think we'll get an acrimonious battle for 2022...Paul's gripe has been defeated twice - '14 and '18 going against him and the next if Africa's for the taking!

If true, thats pretty disappointing.

The COC wanted new venues in Ontario. Ottawa had already expressed interest in hosting the CWG and some of the same people involved in the successful Jeux de Francophonie had pushed for a bid. Ottawa wanted to use government financing to fix Frank Clair Stadium. Plus the COC thought that a dedicated cluster of venues in the CCR would have been beneficial to both Quebec and Ontario. Venues would have been in Hull/Gatineau, as well as Ottawa.

The COC wanted new venues in Ontario. Ottawa had already expressed interest in hosting the CWG and some of the same people involved in the successful Jeux de Francophonie had pushed for a bid. Ottawa wanted to use government financing to fix Frank Clair Stadium. Plus the COC thought that a dedicated cluster of venues in the CCR would have been beneficial to both Quebec and Ontario. Venues would have been in Hull/Gatineau, as well as Ottawa.

That would have been fantastic, id much rather Canada host a Commonwealth games than a Pan-ams.

That would have been fantastic, id much rather Canada host a Commonwealth games than a Pan-ams.

:) I'd rather see Canada host the 2024 Olympics and then wait till 2030 for a rightfull hosting of the CWGs. ;)

I would rather see a Argentina-Brazil soccer match then a Fiji-Brunei Lawnbowls match. Canada is slowly drifting away from the commonwealth netball? lawnbowls? those are like unheard of in Canada. The Pan AMs are the second biggest multi sporting event in the world and are an Olympic qualifier. There is not doubt on what event I would want to be held here.

:) I'd rather see Canada host the 2024 Olympics and then wait till 2030 for a rightfull hosting of the CWGs. ;)

:D

I would rather see a Argentina-Brazil soccer match then a Fiji-Brunei Lawnbowls match. Canada is slowly drifting away from the commonwealth netball? lawnbowls? those are like unheard of in Canada. The Pan AMs are the second biggest multi sporting event in the world and are an Olympic qualifier. There is not doubt on what event I would want to be held here.

I would beg to differ, the Commonwealth Games are far more popular here than the Pan-Ams, you can really see that with how Delhi was covered as opposed to Guadalajara. Plus there was a recent poll done in the Toronto area about the excitement for the games around the GTA, people seemed well, less than excited. I can guarantee this would be different if it was a Canadian city hosting the Commonwealth games.

I would beg to differ, the Commonwealth Games are far more popular here than the Pan-Ams, you can really see that with how Delhi was covered as opposed to Guadalajara. Plus there was a recent poll done in the Toronto area about the excitement for the games around the GTA, people seemed well, less than excited. I can guarantee this would be different if it was a Canadian city hosting the Commonwealth games.

The reason why is the attachment to the Commonwealth/Royalty etc.. The sport selection is really bizarre for the Commonwealth Games. Would you pay to see a soccer match between Argentina and Brazil or Netball match between Samoa and Barbados? The answer is pretty obvious.

The reason why is the attachment to the Commonwealth/Royalty etc.. The sport selection is really bizarre for the Commonwealth Games. Would you pay to see a soccer match between Argentina and Brazil or Netball match between Samoa and Barbados? The answer is pretty obvious.

But I would rather see a Commonwealth track and field event rather than a Pan-Am equivalent. Clearly id rather see the Soccer match but I could make a similar comparison which would make the Commonwealth games look better, both have there weak and strong points, but I think the Commonwealth games wins it.

Well, don't worry...they are both bound to return to Canada on a regular basis.

I would like to see Ottawa host a major sporting event, however. The city would benefit from the improvements in sporting infrastructure.

I don't want to get off topic but the monarchy and the Commonwealth are totally separate questions and Canada is not going to leave the Commonwealth regardless of its constitutional arrangements concerning the monarchy which aren't going to change any time soon anyway.

I'd like a Toronto Olympics above anything else but Kenadian is right, the Commonwealth Games are bound to come back to Canada.

I would rather the CWG simply because top athletes compete at the them almost universally.

:( The only problem with the Athletics is most of the worlds best premium runners, lucky for the CWGs, are from the West Indies but usually find an excuse not to compete in them.

Delhi was an oddity with that. There will always be some major names missing, but they mostly appear.

I am actually really disappointed Ottawa didn't bid for 2018, even with Toronto. I think Canada and Ontario could have dealt with both easily. I think the CWGF would have loved to hand the games to Canada over Sri Lanka and Australia. If South Africa declines mounting a bid as early as they did 2018, Canada should bid. I think the best choices would be either Vancouver or Ottawa.

I think the CWGF would have loved to hand the games to Canada over Sri Lanka and Australia. If South Africa declines mounting a bid as early as they did 2018, Canada should bid. I think the best choices would be either Vancouver or Ottawa.

Ottawa would be my choice as the West Coast has hoarded all the big events since 1976...And yes, Ottawa would've got them. Gold Coast was really only a stand in as Auckland pulled out. GC wasn't going to bid if Auckland was in. It would've been a race between Ottawa and Auckland...With the Canadian city probibly winning on account that it's never hosted before.

Archived