Decision in St Kitts

Sir Rols

Well, a bit over two days now to the vote. Guess it's time now for a thread for the news coming out of St Kitts this week. The teams have been arriving, though it doesn't seem anyone's making any firm predictions yet (though the Sri Lankans do seem to be talking up their chances).

Does anyone know what actual time the announcement is going to be made?

Anna has touched down.

Bligh gears up for final Games pitch

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh arrived in the West Indies this morning, ahead of the 2018 Commonwealth Games host city announcement on the weekend.

The Games Federation is scheduled to make the announcement at St Kitts on Saturday at 8:00am (AEST).

The Gold Coast's only rival is the Sri Lankan city of Hambantota.

Ms Bligh says hosting a Commonwealth Games would benefit the whole of Australia.

"It will be the only multi-sport international event hosted in Australia in the next decade," she said.

"I think it is critical for our country to up there on the world stage and it most critical for the Gold Coast to be always out there looking for the next international horizon.

"If you enter these things it's a risk and you have to go for it sometimes."

Ms Bligh says the Queensland delegation will make the most of every opportunity over the next few days.

"There are a number of very formal presentations that we will be making in a series of meetings with the executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation and to each of the voting block," she said.

"There will also be many, many informal opportunities to meet one-on-one with delegates who are still making up their mind and we are not going to miss a chance."

ABC

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

Cool, that's about 9am Saturday morning here. Guess I'll be in here for the live chat then.

Gotta say, it's lacking the anticipation and drama of the lead-up to the last CGF vote session in 2007. Ah, the memories. Anyone here on GamesBids at the time should get a campaign ribbon!

Thanks!

Cool, that's about 9am Saturday morning here. Guess I'll be in here for the live chat then.

Gotta say, it's lacking the anticipation and drama of the lead-up to the last CGF vote session in 2007. Ah, the memories. Anyone here on GamesBids at the time should get a campaign ribbon!

How would one view the decision live?

Thanks!

i remember it well rols. the heated disagreaments with jim jones and then the excitement that my home city was awarded the games

<_< ...Isn't it funny that we now consider the 2014 Bid decision as Nostalgia!!! :lol:

The Rols v Jim Jones debates are now so legendary, they need to be published...At least GB should create a 'Famous Debates' thread so we can relive the excitment, which is of course, lacking in this 2018 bid attempt since JJ was eliminated. :(

Gold Coast really is just there to sign the contracts of agreements. B)

The Rols v Jim Jones debates are now so legendary, they need to be published...At least GB should create a 'Famous Debates' thread so we can relive the excitment, which is of course, lacking in this 2018 bid attempt since JJ was eliminated. :(

Gold Coast really is just there to sign the contracts of agreements. B)

If Hambantota DOES win, one good thing would be the frustration the pr!ck would feel about not being able to come on here, try to take credit, and crow about it.

B)

If Hambantota DOES win, one good thing would be the frustration the pr!ck would feel about being able to come on here, try to take credit, and crow about it.

B)

:lol: Not likely. :lol:

This is a bit concerning:

Both camps are making their last minute attempts to woo the 71 eligible votes but many independent observers feel that Hambantota takes a slight advantage due to various reasons. “Gold Coast has better infrastructure facilities but Hambantota’s proposal to have a complete newly constructed sports city looks more impressive,” a member of an African nation with voting rights, who wished to remain annonymous, said.

Hambantota 2018’s chances of making it the winning bid would be boosted by a guaranteed vote base from the Asian, African and the Caribbean regions. In contrast, Gold Coast would pin its hopes on voting that they lobby mainly from European, Americas and Oceania regions.

Out of six continents, Africa has the highest number of 18 member states in the CGF with the Caribbean having the second highest number of 15. The other member countries which will be eligible for voting would be 13 from Oceania and eight each from Asia, Americas and Europe.My link

:lol: Not likely. :lol:

This is a bit concerning:

Both camps are making their last minute attempts to woo the 71 eligible votes but many independent observers feel that Hambantota takes a slight advantage due to various reasons. “Gold Coast has better infrastructure facilities but Hambantota’s proposal to have a complete newly constructed sports city looks more impressive,” a member of an African nation with voting rights, who wished to remain annonymous, said.

Hambantota 2018’s chances of making it the winning bid would be boosted by a guaranteed vote base from the Asian, African and the Caribbean regions. In contrast, Gold Coast would pin its hopes on voting that they lobby mainly from European, Americas and Oceania regions.

Out of six continents, Africa has the highest number of 18 member states in the CGF with the Caribbean having the second highest number of 15. The other member countries which will be eligible for voting would be 13 from Oceania and eight each from Asia, Americas and Europe.My link

Well, if continental voting blocs determined everyone's vote, the likes of Oz, NZ and Canada should never bother trying – the numbers would always be against them. Anyway, if Abuja, with a lot more facilities in place already on the ground and a more compelling continental rotation argument, couldn't muster all of Africa behind them for 2014, on paper SL shouldn't even be hopeful of matching their measly final vote tally.

But that said, the very fact that Hambantota is still standing and being discussed as a a genuine contender is a tribute to how well they've been campaigning. The professionalism the Hambantota bid team has shown is a stark contrast to the amateurish, self-entitled efforts the Nigerians put on for 2014. And apparently, the SL team on the ground in St Kitts is outnumbering the Queenslanders by about seven to one.

I really expect them to do much better than Abuja did. And, yes, I can't deny the fact that there could well be a fatigue factor against Oz bidding again – even I would have preferred NZ or Canada to have tried rather than Oz again so soon (and honestly, Alex, I'm NOT emotionally committed to a GC win. I think it's by far the most responsible choice, but I'm not going to plunged into despair if they don't land it).

I suppose I still think GC should triumph. But it's going to be much closer than the 2014 vote. And if SL lose, they can probably thank their northern neighbours and the farcical preparations for Delhi, for missing out.

In australia the gold coast 2018 site is showing it live as is channel 9 (our broadcaster). its exactly 8:00 am on saturday the 12th here when we find out :D

(brisbane time)

It's not confirmed, but I would also expect ABC 24 to air the decision live nationwide as well. ABC, you're going live to the Murdoch inquiry tonight, and excellent coverage of the Qantas strikes, so don't let me down!

It's not confirmed, but I would also expect ABC 24 to air the decision live nationwide as well. ABC, you're going live to the Murdoch inquiry tonight, and excellent coverage of the Qantas strikes, so don't let me down!

Either way there is coverage. :D

Well i know for sure the gold coast site is showing it live as is channel 9 and also channel 7 sunrise :)

Everyone on the news here keep ssaying hambentota has a huge chance and its 75-25 in hambentotas favour

id like to see them win but i doubt they will. i mean just because there spending 5 times more then gold coast doesnt give them the win, and they said money isnt a factor but i mean come on... also this city is unheard of but australia did just host it in 06

so theres advantages and disadvntages

but i believe gold coast will get it but everyone here thinks hambentota has a shot

I'm all in favour of new frontiers and in fairly spreading the Games around the Commonwealth but I really feel it would be bad for the Commonwealth Games to give them to Sri Lanka. Politically I think there needs to be greater stability and resolution of the recent questions concerning human rights abuses before they should be awarded something on this scale.

It would have been nice if somewhere like Singapore or even Canada or New Zealand had bid but at the moment I feel that going back to Australia is the best and safest option.

Funny fact, Guatemala isnt member of the Commonwealth but we are following this election, and my city (Xela) is planning something pretty much the same as Hambatota in its bid for the 2018 CA&CG. And its competing against Panama City.... Hmmm its a coincidence :o

Funny fact, Guatemala isnt member of the Commonwealth but we are following this election, and my city (Xela) is planning something pretty much the same as Hambatota in its bid for the 2018 CA&CG. And its competing against Panama City.... Hmmm its a coincidence :o

Xela is the second largest city? Hambantota is a small fishing village.

Who knows - though I'd probably still expect Australia to get England's vote? Wales, Scotland, NI and Jersey are all behind the GC bid apparently. England holding its cards closer to its chest by the sounds of things.

I don't know, if London has hopes, as has been suggested sometimes, maybe Scotland 2014, Sri Lanka 2018, South Africa 2022 would be better for an England bid for 2026 than if Australia gets 2018 (as another rich 'Dominion' host rather than somewhere in the developing world).

Archived