2017 World Athletics Championships

London will be up against Doha this Friday to see who hosts the 2017 World Athletics Championships. This is the same day the decision for the 2018 Commonwealth Games is made, but whilst that has had a lot of attention here on Gamesbids, the 2017 decision has only really been discussed in context of London's Olympic Stadium legacy. Time for a new thread...

WEBSITES AND LOGOS

london_2017_26-10-11.jpg

LONDON - http://www.london2017athletics.com/

doha%2B2017.jpg

DOHA - http://doha-2017.com/home/

WARNER: LONDON 2017 BID LOOKING GOOD

UK Athletics chairman Ed Warner says London's bid to host the 2017 World Championships is "in really good shape".

Warner reckons the removal of uncertainty over the future of the Olympic Stadium has put the capital in with a real chance of winning next week's vote.

London is up against Doha, the capital of Qatar and Warner has been in touch with many of the 27 IAAF council members who will vote.

Speaking after a face-to-face meeting with IAAF vice-president Sergey Bubka, he said: "Having the stadium issue completely resolved has been very important to us in the last few weeks.

"There are 27 people entitled to vote, most of them are seasoned, experienced hands at this and we are aiming to meet or speak to every single one of them.

"The debate has shifted from the stadium to 'tell us about your bid', and I think we are in really good shape but we can't be complacent.

"We now have the right platform to demonstrate the commercial qualities of the bid, the legacy and the athlete dimension which will see ideal conditions for them to break records in a world championships."

Warner knows Doha are "doughty opponents" with a proven track record of winning bids, including the 2022 football World Cup for Qatar.

He added: "They staged great indoor championships recently and are a new, virgin territory. That's something we have to counter with arguments that we have in terms of legacy and being sure of filling the stadium morning and evening with fans from multi-cultural London.

"We can also maximise the commercial and broadcast revenues available in this time zone, in August, in western Europe.

"If the championships were to be away from Europe for at least six years that's a long stretch away from the breadbasket of the sport.

"The commercial pull of Europe is very strong for the sport so wearing a European hat you would be taking some chances with spectator and commercial appetite for global athletics if it did not come back to Europe in 2017, I do believe that."

There has been speculation that the IAAF may decide to award two World Championships when they make their decision on November 11 in Monaco, with London and Doha each receiving either 2017 or 2019.

Warner insisted that no such approach had been mentioned to him and added: "From Britain's perspective what we are really interested in is 2017 in London.

"We want to capitalise on the legacy of the 2012 Olympics through the ticket databases while they are still fresh, when volunteers will still be interested and when kids are still inspired by the Games."

London's bid is being jointly financed by UK Athletics, UK Sport and the London Mayor's office. Warner said the total cost would be "low six figures".

http://www.sportinglife.com/others/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=others/11/11/02/ATHLETICS_London.html&BID=6933

track2_2016947b.jpg

Qatar Olympic Chief on Doha 2017 IAAF World Championships Bid

Qatar Olympic Committee secretary general Sheikh Saoud Bin Abdulrahman Al Thani tells Around the Rings that Doha’s bid for the 2017 IAAF World Championships promises a new market for athletics.

“I don’t want to say the Middle East is the future for the sport, but it’s really a new region that’s not been exposed,” he said.

“Marketing, sponsorship, a new area for television, a new area that consists of almost 450 million under the age of 30, which speaks to youth and development and how sport is important for this generation – this is how we see it.”

Al Thani added that the Gulf country's successful 2022 World Cup bid, based around much-hyped cooling technologies, has paved the way for Qatar to secure future mega-events including, he hopes, the track-and-field showpiece.

Asked specifically about the lessons from the FIFA bid for the IAAF bid, he underlined the strategy proposed to combat the desert country's fierce summer heat.

"The main issue is really the cooling technology, which we have introduced before with the 2022 bid," he told ATR.

"We know in October it's definitely different than July and August in Doha, and the weather is nice there... but in case, the cooling technology is there.”

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=38385

329199500-08080946.jpg

Stadium resolution has boosted chances of World Bid

Delays over new bidding process cloud stadium's future

Support soaring for Doha 2017 bid

Opinion: London kept its side of athletics legacy bargain, now IAAF must award capital the World Championships

London 2017 launch scheme to help get two million children involved in athletics

Doha and London add more star names to supporters clubs

Bribary Probe into athletics chief

:unsure: I always thought London was going to reprofile Main Stadium after the Paralympics...But I suppose if London wins the 2017 IAAF WCs then they wont?

If London wins '17...Would this effect a Glasgow YOSGs bid for 2018.

(p.s. I want London to win!!!) :lol:

• Like 1

If you're talking about the 25,000 plan, that seems to have gone. We're now looking at 60,000 multi-use unless I've missed any recent developments.

Have to say I expect Doha to win this.

so the stadiums could be half empty? So some athletes withdraw because of the weather?

Just only two cities wanting to host this championship? Oh, well. It is held after the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio and is the sport's biggest event. Either one could host a great championship, so good luck to both of them on Friday.

Just only two cities wanting to host this championship? Oh, well. It is held after the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio and is the sport's biggest event.

Same for 2015. The two bids then were Beijing and Chorzow in Poland by the time of the final vote. At least for 2017 there are two very strong bids and a bit of competition!

I always thought London was going to reprofile Main Stadium after the Paralympics...But I suppose if London wins the 2017 IAAF WCs then they wont?

It will likely be the home of West Ham during the football season. How full it'd get for athletics outside of the World Championships at 60k is, of course, another question. A new tender process has recently been opened to find a tenant for the stadium after the last one, to find a buyer for the leashold, collapsed. I'm not going to go into details about that because we could be here all day and it's already been discussed in the London Stadium threads, but have a read of this if you're really interested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/15254822.stm

After three World Championships in a row in Asia or Eastern Europe (Daegu 2011, Moscow 2013, Beijing 2015), the World Championships simply have to be awarded to a Western European city. But this is just my personal opinion of course. I, unlike the many sports federation officials around the world, am not greedy for sponsor or oil money...

:huh:

London could get free run at 2017 World Athletics Championships under new IAAF idea

London could be given a free run in its quest to host the World Athletics Championship under an idea said to be “gathering pace” within the sport’s world governing body to award two championships simultaneously for 2017 and 2019.

London and Doha, the Qatari capital, are currently vying to stage the 2017 championships and will make their bid presentations in Monaco on Friday before the ruling council of the International Association of Athletics Federations elects the host city by secret ballot.

But the IAAF has admitted it faces one of its most difficult host city dilemmas because of the high quality of both bids.

While London offers the commercial firepower of an established market and the promise of sell-out crowds in the Olympic Stadium, gas-rich Doha has the financial muscle and the lure of being virgin territory for the sport’s flagship event.

Rather than choosing one bid over the other, the IAAF is now said to be floating the idea of awarding two championships for 2017 and 2019. It is understood that the possibility was raised at an internal meeting of the IAAF’s executive board on Monday and has been “the talk of the hotel lobby” in Monaco, where campaigning by the rival cities has already begun in earnest.

A London bid insider said: “I would say that it is more than gently gathering pace as something that’s being discussed on the ground in Monaco at the moment.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/8877780/London-could-get-free-run-at-2017-World-Athletics-Championships-under-new-IAAF-idea.html

So Doha seems to be buying yet another World Championship...

It's really disgusting how the sports federation functionaries around the world think. "F*** the athletes and their demands, as long as we can sit in our cooled VIP box and get champagne and luxurious hotel rooms from our new Qatari friends for free and as long as we can fill the coffers of our federation, we frankly don't care."

That London could still get the 2017 World Championships in that scenario is not really a consolation. I just want those "We can buy everything" sheikhs to get absolutely nothing.

i agree olympian. and whatabout the cities that might have wanted to bid for 2019. now cities will have to wait

2019 will go back to Europe, or even to China. I don't expect the United States to make a bid at all. The World Athletics Championship is one of a few that the United States will never host.

Better not to give them any hope at all. :P

They will get one, one way or another. I mean their Doha 2006 Asians were a success, so if they staged that successfully, they've certainly proven they can stage something. The fact that that cesspool of douche-bags, FIFA, awarded them the 2022 WC isn't really their fault. It's FIFA's. I mean they do have a right to be in there and bid like everyone else. It's up to the federations whether to bite or not.

• Like 1

2019 will go back to Europe, or even to China. I don't expect the United States to make a bid at all. The World Athletics Championship is one of a few that the United States will never host.

China has already been taken, like Beijing 2015, after Moscow 2013.

They will get one, one way or another. I mean their Doha 2006 Asians were a success, so if they staged that successfully, they've certainly proven they can stage something. The fact that that cesspool of douche-bags, FIFA, awarded them the 2022 WC isn't really their fault. It's FIFA's. I mean they do have a right to be in there and bid like everyone else. It's up to the federations whether to bite or not.

Ditto here. However, do you think the USA should have hosted the 2022 World Cup instead of Qatar?

Oops!

"Bob Hersh evaluation report relayed to press room mistakenly. London praised for athletics tradition, concern noted over attendances in Doha"

"Also noted that London sells out Diamond League - before volume turned down and proceedings fade out. Now waiting for presentations."

http://twitter.com/#!/owen_g

From Simon Hart in Monaco: 'Reporters are not allowed in the IAAF council room but are following events by live video feed. This has just caused a few red faces among IAAF officials because journalists started to receive an audi feed of IAAF senior vice-president Bob Hersh giving his evaluation report of the two bids, which was not meant to be for public consumption. Encouragingly for London, he raised the issue of athletics crowds in Doha emptying the stadium long before the end of the meeting, as happened at this season's Diamond League event. Alas, the audio then snapped off.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/8883611/World-Athletics-Championships-2017-vote-live.html

Edited by RobH