British royal succession rules to change

gotosy

thanks for the wikipedia-cribbed history lesson, but no one is talking about WHEN charles takes the throne except you.

Or it could have been the many history courses I took in high school or the numerous historical books I have read over the years. Since it seems like you've spent so much time focusing on me over the years I would have thought my interest in royal houses (particularly those of Germany and Scandinavia) would have been known to you.

Or it could have been the many history courses I took in high school or the numerous historical books I have read over the years. Since it seems like you've spent so much time focusing on me over the years I would have thought my interest in royal houses (particularly those of Germany and Scandinavia) would have been known to you.

faster, we all read books. that doesn't mean we've memorized everything inside of them as you would have it.

i would love to have met you in a wikipedia-less world. i imagine not being able to pompously regurgitate facts and figures you can hardly make sense of in every conversation would make you an infinitely more thoughtful - and ultimately brighter - person.

since that will never happen, we will all have to suffer through you encyclopedia browning your way through every thread, as if you and only you can harness the awesome power of google.com.

faster, we all read books. that doesn't mean we've memorized everything inside of them as you would have it.

i would love to have met you in a wikipedia-less world. i imagine not being able to pompously regurgitate facts and figures you can hardly make sense of in every conversation would make you an infinitely more thoughtful - and ultimately brighter - person.

since that will never happen, we will all have to suffer through you encyclopedia browning your way through every thread, as if you and only you can harness the awesome power of google.com.

Yet you haven't met me, yet you render judgements based solely on my ability to recall trivia and all information I have absorbed throughout the years. How would you know how good my ability to recall information is? Or the amount I read, or watch for that matter? You just assume that because I have a passing knowledge on a number of subjects that I feverishly run to wikipedia and look up crap on there to sound smart. I could say a lot more, but you would just take it as more pretentiousness.

If you actually knew me, you would understand. But as it is, I would not want to know you. So that point is mute.

On the throne currently is someone that has German (through Victoria's husband and Victoria herself and through Mary of Teck), Scottish (through Queen Elizabeth), Danish (through Queen Alexandra of Denmark) and there has to be some English in there.

When Charles takes the throne, Greek will be added through his father and more Danish.

The present Queen has English blood on her mother's side via her maternal grandmother. There is not really any Greek blood or much Danish either for that matter. Both those royal houses were almost entirely ethnically German just like the Windsors.

In fact German blood is predominant in practically every royal family in Northern Europe (Britain, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Greece, Netherlands ,Belgium etc.).

'Germans' everywhere!! ;)

The present Queen has English blood on her mother's side via her maternal grandmother. There is not really any Greek blood or much Danish either for that matter. Both those royal houses were almost entirely ethnically German just like the Windsors.

thank you, my point exactly. reading on wikipedia that philip and alexandra's families were rulers of denmark/greece doesn't mean they're actually danish/greek. this is a perfect example of faster spitting out context-less facts in an attempt to sound smart. digging an inch below the surface would reveal that german blood is pervasive in the royal houses of europe and that scotguy was right all along and certainly in no need of faster to come in here and tell us 'well, technically...', which i might add would have been perfectly obvious to anyone who has read as many books on the subject as faster claims to have.

whether or not faster does actually have a "passing knowledge on a number of subjects" i guess we'll never know. that's largely irrelevant because his inability to contextualize any of that knowledge makes conversation with him incredibly tedious.

in short: faster, we can all google and we can all use wikipedia. you add absolutely no real value to a conversation when you "well, technically..." us in every thread.

you're like the precocious 17 year old kid in college who is always trying to score brownie points by getting the professor on a technicality. "ooh ooh ohh, actually, actually professor the declaration of independence wasn't signed by most of the continental congress on july 4th itself but in august..."

now please tone it down. adults are talking.

Archived