• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I'm surprised by the intensity of some posters' disregard for Oslo. I really don't see it as "been there, done that." What I see is that the IOC has taken two big gambles with the Wint

This statement is incredibly angry and off-putting. The IOC ought to say "mea culpa." Instead they're lashing out at the Norwegians. This isn't going to fix anything and it shows just how out of tou

So 1 of them says that France and Italy may not bid. And the other feels compelled to respond by saying pretty much the same thing, just worded a little differently...

I watched the video "Oslo 2011 - Nordic world skiing championships" and at 1'15",I saw mysterious scene.I think NorwayOlympics has ever posted the pic of jump tower.There's no thick poles or whatever to support the top part. This is really amazing to me. How would athletes get there?

Yeah. There's such a thing too as having hosted too much. It's not like one spot is the ONLY spot in the world to host these things which the IOC likes to rotate around to open up new areas to the Olympic sports.

Yes so let's hope we don't go back to the USA for at least a generation more.

Fine with me. But then it's not EXACTLY like Norway (or Sweden) bankrolls the IOC, does it? Why do you take this so personally? It has nothing to do with you. It's all about a city's hosting/bidding chances. It's NOT a personal attack on you. Sheesh.

Yeah. There's such a thing too as having hosted too much. It's not like one spot is the ONLY spot in the world to host these things which the IOC likes to rotate around to open up new areas to the Olympic sports.

Asia and Eastern Europe already got their chances, though (both Pyeongchang and Sochi, respectively). And considering the issues the other bids have so far, if the election was today, Oslo would win in the first round, so they have to work a lot on their plans.

The Olympics should go around the world to new lands, of course, but every so often surely it's good to go back to a place where you know what you're gonna get. Especially after the problems the IOC have faced in Sochi & Rio.

• Like 1

Fine with me. But then it's not EXACTLY like Norway (or Sweden) bankrolls the IOC, does it? Why do you take this so personally? It has nothing to do with you. It's all about a city's hosting/bidding chances. It's NOT a personal attack on you. Sheesh.

Who said it was personal? I just find your attitude inconsistent.

Who said it was personal? I just find your attitude inconsistent.

Considering it was a remark against the Norwegian bid and NOT Stockholm's. your reply certainly seemed doubly puzzling and you seemed to take it on a personal level. What has my attitude go to do with it? Or I guess this is the usual internet chat forum misinterps??

Oslo would win in the first round

And you know this because? Would it not occur to some IOC'ers mind: haven't I voted for them already twice in the last 20 years? Wait...there are 5 others. Let me look at those too.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Says the guy pushing for the US to host its fifth (5th!) WOG.

• Like 1

Well, there's one TINY difference between those two countries...

Norway: 5,000,000

USA: 315,000,000

As someone (I'm sry for forgetting his/her name...) has posted somewhere in these forums: Norway has the highest amount of hosted Olympics per capita in the world.

As someone (I'm sry for forgetting his/her name...) has posted somewhere in these forums: Norway has the highest amount of hosted Olympics per capita in the world.

And what new market would a rich country of 5,000,000 people offer to the sponsors? Nothing but a saturated one. They probably have all the Flat-screen TVs, at least 2 BMWs in the garage, tablets, Playboxes, Keurig coffee-makers, etc., etc. in their home. Last time they held an Olympics, a national treasure, THE SCREAM, was stolen from the Oslo National Museum on opening ceremony night in Lillehammer.

Oslo Norway hosted the 1952 Winter Olympics and Lilliehammer in 1994 and will be hosting the 2016 Youth Games, An Oslo Norway 2022 winter games will be so boring and been there done that, It will be another 2 Generations before Norway host again there are 5 new countries bidding for the Winter Olympics which they never hosted but Sweden ridiculous plans with Stockholm and Are, Poland joint bid with Slovakia wont go to well and the IOC does not want to work with 2 governments for 1 games, Ukraine is not ready for the Winter Olympics Games and don't have a big economy like Russia so it is a race between Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan to host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games.

And you know this because? Would it not occur to some IOC'ers mind: haven't I voted for them already twice in the last 20 years? Wait...there are 5 others. Let me look at those too.

Um, by 2015, it will have been 27 years since Lillehammer was chosen for 94. Not sure how many of those voting back then will still be left in the IOC. And of those, many might say they made the completely right choice given the success of 94. There was no other vote for Norway since - Lillehammer was the only candidate for YOG 2016, so the IOC had no choice than to award them if they didn't want to let the (silly) YOG idea die so soon again. In a way, that might even work in Oslo's favour in terms of "Norway saved the YOG for us".

Oslo Norway hosted the 1952 Winter Olympics and Lilliehammer in 1994 and will be hosting the 2016 Youth Games, An Oslo Norway 2022 winter games will be so boring and been there done that, It will be another 2 Generations before Norway host again there are 5 new countries bidding for the Winter Olympics which they never hosted but Sweden ridiculous plans with Stockholm and Are, Poland joint bid with Slovakia wont go to well and the IOC does not want to work with 2 governments for 1 games, Ukraine is not ready for the Winter Olympics Games and don't have a big economy like Russia so it is a race between Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan to host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games.

You just missed your usual final argument that Beijing hosted in 2008 and that Kazakhstan is the new Turkey and will therefore host in 2022.

That was snarky.

And what new market would a rich country of 5,000,000 people offer to the sponsors? Nothing but a saturated one. They probably have all the Flat-screen TVs, at least 2 BMWs in the garage, tablets, Playboxes, Keurig coffee-makers, etc., etc. in their home. Last time they held an Olympics, a national treasure, THE SCREAM, was stolen from the Oslo National Museum on opening ceremony night in Lillehammer.

I don't see how this is relevant.

A 28 year gap for one of the top winter sports countries is ok.

Considering it was a remark against the Norwegian bid and NOT Stockholm's. your reply certainly seemed doubly puzzling and you seemed to take it on a personal level. What has my attitude go to do with it? Or I guess this is the usual internet chat forum misinterps??

Nobody complained when Atlanta was given the games, even though America just hosted 12 years before.

Also, I said clearly "if the election was today". I'm going to be honest. I find the plans of Stockholm, which wants to hold the mountain events on a city which is located at 700 friggin' kilometers away from the city, and Wroclaw, which obviously didn't read what happened to all the other past candidates who thought sharing the games with another city in ANOTHER COUNTRY was a good idea, to be absolutely laughable. I know others might have different opinions, but don't get angry at me just because I disagree with yours.

There is a reason why many of us wanted Munich to take part, so this race would had been much more entertaining. Sadly, it wasn't the case.

Umm, exactly the same can be said about Japan, too. The Japanese have all those things as well. Except replace BMW's with Lexus' & Toyota's. Yet we're still gonna have Tokyo 2022. And exactly the same could've been said about Germany too, WITH the BMW's, & Audi's & the Mercedes'. But virtually everyone was already crowning Munich to be the 2022 host.

Besides, the sponsors are already gonna be getting their fair share of new markets to pry into with the next three Olympics; Sochi, Rio & PC. Not to mention with the way these companies are spitting out new sh!t for you to buy on almost a weekly basis now, & making the consumer "think" that they "need it & gotta have it", any market can be a new market nowdays. And really, how are the Winter Olympics gonna make every Polish household have all of those things anyway (which I'm sure many have already TBW). It's not.

Oslo Norway hosted the 1952 Winter Olympics and Lilliehammer in 1994 and will be hosting the 2016 Youth Games, An Oslo Norway 2022 winter games will be so boring and been there done that,

That's not what you were saying with "boring" Tokyo 2020 when many were citing exactly the same thing against the Japanese, yet that's exactly what the IOC chose. For 2022 I believe the IOC is going to continue, at least for one more round that is (& considering the lack of other high-quality bidders), "the safe pair of hands bid"; with either Stockholm or Oslo.

Nobody complained when Atlanta was given the games, even though America just hosted 12 years before.

Not true. Many complained when Atlanta won. Starting with the Greeks.