Oslo 2022

kernowboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said elsewhere, I'm highly pessimistic about the Munich referendum. This would leave Oslo as the by far most experienced winter sports host AND economical stronghold. If that absolutely safe option were to withdraw later on, the IOC would really be hit hard in the face.

This is gonna go to Beijing isn't it... :(

I don't believe it will be going to Beijing China but I think it will be going to Almaty Kazakhstan if Munich Germany does not bid for the 2022 Winter Games, East Asia is having the 2018 and 2020 Games and a jointed countries bid is never going to win and Ukraine way to early and Eastern Europe is already hosting the 2014 Winter Games, The Ukraine is on the same path as in Russia going backwoods on Human Rights so I don't see them hosting it.

Norway has already hosted 2 winter games and is hosting the 2016 Youth Games so I don't see them hosting it too it is way too soon for Norway to host the games again and It is way too soon for Beijing to host the games again no matter what Summer or Winter the Bieijing Games was only 5 years ago if Harbin China bid for the games then it would be a different story, Harbin is China true Winter city it is also known as the ICE city.

Almaty Kazakhstan is the Istnabul Turkey of the 2022 race but they are also one step above Istanbul in having hosted a multi sporting event and is hosting another one in 4 years time which could be used as a warm up for the games 5 years later they are a big city can put on a compact games a new region Central Asia and be the 1st place in the Islamic world to host an Olympics and Paralympics Games so Almaty will be big threats to other cities in the 2022 race and be more powerful then Turkey was in 2020. Kazakhstan hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games co hosted by Astana and Almaty and is hosting the 2017 World Expo in Astana and the 2017 Winter University Games also Kazakhstan is a booming sporting and economic power in the world it will be interesting to see how they go in Sochi 2014 they are rank as the 12 best country at the London 2012 Olympics Games in the Medal table.

Almaty Isn't getting 2022 anyway. Even if Munich or Stockholm don't bid, it doesn't matter that Norway has already hosted two winter Games. Like 2020, I believe the IOC will choose the safest option once again, even if it happened to be a repeat multiple host, just like Japan was.

Almaty is more like the Baku than it is Istanbul. They could be all flashy, but at the end of the day, that's not what the IOC is going to be looking for. Like the Ukraine, Kazahkstan isn't all on the up & up either as far as human rights go. And it doesn't exactly say 'exotic' locale either.

Geopolitically I don't see them stronger than the Turks as well. There are no parrallel similarities between the two whatsoever. Plus, if we wanna get technical, it's still Asia no matter what. Adding "central" to that doesn't change that fact.

Oslo's NOT going to get it for a 3rd time. They're no London.

You're right. They're more like the Tokyo, the safest & most sensible bid of the lot. If Stockholm now also says no on Tuesday, might as well just hand them over to Oslo on Thursday!

You're right. They're more like the Tokyo, the safest & most sensible bid of the lot. If Stockholm now also says no on Tuesday, might as well just hand them over to Oslo on Thursday!

Exactly. Some of the other cities might put together decent bids, but just like the 2020 race, I suspect that by the time we get to the vote in July 2015, Oslo will be the only sensible choice.

Oslo has submitted its bid.

http://www.oslo2022.oslo.kommune.no/ol-i-oslo-2022-hovedside/i-dag-bekrefter-oslo-at-byen-vil-bli-offisiell-ol-soeker-article265140-60811.html

Yesterday Oslo, together with the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee, confirmed to the IOC that the city wants to compete to be the host city for the Olympic Winter Games in 2022. - I am very pleased that we have come so far. I strongly believe that an Olympic application from Norway and Oslo will be a very strong contender in the international competition, says governing mayor Stian Berger Røsland.

IMG_1528w.jpg%20%28500x333%29.jpg

Governing Mayor Stian Berger Røsland, Olympic commissioner in Oslo Olaf Hallstein Bjerke and the President of the Norwegian Olympic committee Børre Rognlien, stand united behind the Olympic application.

In a letter to the IOC, Oslo confirmed a sincere and strong desire to apply for the Winter Games in 2022. This means that Norway and Oslo officially now is a participate in the international competition to be awarded the XXIV Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

With the concept of "Games in the City" Oslo will create super compact and urban Winter Games in the city. With few exceptions, all competitions will take place in the capital. The alpine events and the bobsleigh, luge and skeleton, will take place in the Lillehammer region.

In Oslo the venues will be placed in a semicircle around the city with ceremonies and festivities in the city centre. Central to the concept is simple availability and rail transport for the public. The venues will be located in areas where people live, and have a central location that people can get to easily with short walking distances. With so compact games it will be possible for the audience to witness more competitions and events in the course of a day, and be a part of medal ceremonies and the people's celebration in the evening.

jqb5.png

- We have an exciting and solidly based concept that has a good chance to beat the very best international competitors. In addition, we are a people with a burning interest in winter sports. The passion we put up that we generously share with the rest of the world in 2022, says Olympic director Eli Grimsby in Oslo2022.

Other cities that have expressed their desire to apply for the games are Almaty (Kazakhstan), Lviv (Ukraine), Beijing (China), Stockholm (Sweden) and Krakow (Poland) in cooperation with Jasna in Slovakia.
- Anyone seeking the Olympics do it seriously and all of them are very serious candidates. But it is important to remember that we can not freely choose the year that suits us. 2022 is in my opinion western Europe year, and "back to basics". It may be a long time until the next time, so this is our chance, says governing mayor Røsland.
Davos and Munich are out, but there is still a large field remaining in the competition. However, Oslo has sort of became a favorite, says Røsland.
On 15th November IOC will announce which cities have desired to apply for the games by the deadline.
Oslo has through the last two years prepared and conducted a thorough and high-quality research work in connection with the application process. Efforts are currently subject to external quality assurance in the state, which is scheduled to be completed in December.
- We face three important tasks ahead. It is further development of the concept and vision, national presence and international impact. Oslo, Norway is on track, now we must make our application known around the world. At national level, we will create an event where everyone will feel welcome. It is an ambition that the whole nation should be involved and want to be a part of it, says city council leader Stian Berger Røsland

Would the opening and closing ceremonies be held at Holmenkollen?

We still do not know the answer to this question.

There are however several possibilities:

1. Oslo fjord - 35 000/40 000 spectators (The most spectacular one - Making the fjord as a part of the setting)

389998_254575291258867_1630170481_n.jpg

2. Holmenkollen ski arena - 50 000 + spectators

198523_169608623088868_1743274_n.jpg

378071_269160739800322_1579275838_n.jpg

3. Bjerke horse stadium (North eastern Oslo)

Bjerkebanen_stort.jpg

4. Ullevaal stadium 28 000 spectators - In my opinion the most boring setting for an olympic opening/closing ceremony ever.

Ullevaal_Stadion_FOTO_TRONDHEGGELUND.NO_

We still do not know the answer to this question.

There are however several possibilities:

3. Bjerke horse stadium (North eastern Oslo)

Bjerkebanen_stort.jpg

lol@Bjerke Travbane.

Are these guys serious about this? When I first read about bjerke, I thought we had someone trolling in the bid organization. Talk about romantic setting for an OC; amidst horse manure and dusting wood stands.

Thanks for the pics. I agree with you about the bay/"fjord". Bjørvika should be finished by 22, so it should be possible to do something between Vippetangen and Sørenga + the opera roof.

So for me, the bid org should go with either Holmenkollen or some place in the bay.

Archived