Oslo 2022

kernowboy

Wouldn't the Norwegian government still have to make the final approval to bid or not. Although, this is a good start. And Barcelona isn't a given yet, either. While the city says, the Spanish Olympic Committee could still say no. Especially while they're still reeling over Madrid's third, consecutive loss. They could very well tell "Barcelona 2022" to go & get f@cked.

Yes, and although Oslo2012 won the local referendum after a massive campaign, the Oslo bid is still very controversial around the country. Spending 10 b$ on a sport event in the capital will alienate far more voters for the political parties than it will win, particularly after the dodgy process since the 2018 bid, which has embittered many people around the country. One of the major parties on the victorious right side of the national election has made a clear position against any government guarantee, the other parties have no official stance yet, but I would be very surprised if Oslo2012 get the go once the final price tag is announced.

As stated in before many years ago now, I think Oslo is the third or fourth best option for Norway, and although I am a very interested in winter sports, I do not think Oslo2012 is something to spend national funds on. That I'm also increasingly skeptical to the IOC concept overall is a different story.

Yes, and although Oslo2012 won the local referendum after a massive campaign, the Oslo bid is still very controversial around the country. Spending 10 b$ on a sport event in the capital will alienate far more voters for the political parties than it will win, particularly after the dodgy process since the 2018 bid, which has embittered many people around the country. One of the major parties on the victorious right side of the national election has made a clear position against any government guarantee, the other parties have no official stance yet, but I would be very surprised if Oslo2012 get the go once the final price tag is announced.

As stated in before many years ago now, I think Oslo is the third or fourth best option for Norway, and although I am a very interested in winter sports, I do not think Oslo2012 is something to spend national funds on. That I'm also increasingly skeptical to the IOC concept overall is a different story.

I don't understand how you can use economic arguments against Oslo, while saying that there are three better alternatives in Norway.

Oslo's bid will be reasonable given the existing infrastructure, work force and population and much of the infrastructure improvements will satisfy existing demands.

To have the olympics in Tromsø or Voss or wherever would be crazy with regards to economy and the need for investments in unsustainable infrastructure. The olympics is bigger and the requirements are substantially higher compared to 94.

FRP will shift with the wind as always. The bid organisation and the sports bodies need to create enthusiasm around the country. They have a fair, but small chance of succeeding with that, and if so, the politicians will find a way.

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

We don't hear such kind words that often. Some voices in the national debate even argues that the city is too ugly to showcase:-). Well, it's not that bad, but it would be a far stretch to liken it with Paris, Madrid, London, Copenhagen, Stockholm etc etc. Still improving though with the new developments.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

We don't hear such kind words that often. Some voices in the national debate even argues that the city is too ugly to showcase:-). Well, it's not that bad, but it would be a far stretch to liken it with Paris, Madrid, London, Copenhagen, Stockholm etc etc. Still improving though with the new developments.

I wonder where they've seen anything ugly about it? At least not in the older part, with its colored houses, not in the newer part of the city with its futuristic, green-friendly architecture. Evenings in Aker Brygge, parks, dinner by the port....Add excellent public transportation to that. Not only is Oslo far from ugly, as I said I consider it the most beautiful Euro capital.

You don't need to have a huge capital, and I'd even say that avoids you much of the trouble that most big cities have (I wont even start to list what's not working in Paris...Off topic and long). I already thought that about Oslo so Im not saying that as it considers bidding. It truly is Matter of coincidence

Unless they can place the Village halfway between Oslo and Lillehammer, that's going to be hard sell. If they found a town midway, that would help a lot...only an hour each way for the snow and ice athletes.

For sure the Nordic skiing would be in Oslo. Oslo's Holmenkollen is the Mecca of Nordic skiing.

Oslo 2022 in a nutshell: Games in the city!

Games plan

Oslo and Lillehammer cluster

k2c4.png

Oslo cluster:

jqb5.png

Olympic park: Økern/Kjelsrud

j0pq.png

Økern: Alternative 1

Images by "Snøhetta"

17ob.png

dj34.png

Kjelsrud: Alternative 2

Images by "Snøhetta"

patn.png

00wu.png

11hq.png

Lillehammer cluster:

yw2m.png

Olympic park: Lillehammer

Images by "Snøhetta"

7oze.png

Edited by NorwayOlympics

Oslo 2022: Venue plan (Oslo venues only)

jqb5.png

City hall square: Medal ceremonies

xo4h.png

Oslo 2011: The final medal ceremony was witnessed by 200 000 + spectators!

1299333357857_234.jpg

Holmenkollen: Ski jumping, cross country skiing and nordic combined

3688713592.JPG

Johaug_Bj_rgen_Sca_3675221a.jpg

978x.jpg

Oslo winterpark and Grefsenkollen: Snowboard and freestyle skiing

Oslo Winterpark: Halpipe, Snowboard slalom and slopestyle events

9n3n.png

m1mp.png

weft.png

Grefsenkollen: Aerials and moguls

0vmp.png

Huken/Lillomarka: Biathlon

amgk.png

Grønmo: Biathlon

igrx.png

Stubberud: Ice hockey 1

c572.png

Valle Hovin: Speed skating

s1h.png

6j1z.png

17c2.png

Jordal: Ice hockey 2

hjnu.png

Telenor Arena/Fornebu: Figure skating and short-track

telenor-arena-bredde.jpg

OSL/Oslo airport gardermoen: Main Airport (New terminal under construction: completed in 2017)

8l1g.png

Norwegian folkefest! 100 000 people in the Oslo forest

790x.jpg

Edited by NorwayOlympics

:drool: What a place for a games! Norway had it in 94 though, as Germany haven't had any Olympics since reunification I think Munich would still just get my vote. If Munich don't bid, I'll switch to Oslo though, & I wouldn't mind either of them :)

I mean my imaginary GB poll type vote, for clarity's sake. :)