Yeah...I still rather prefer having the games in Oslo rather than ANOTHER authoritarian country. Hosting the games in Almaty or Beijing is basically a guaranteed Sochi 2.0.

Rogge must be regretting the day they picked that city to host the games, btw. Probably his worst mistake. That and creating a games nobody gives a crap about.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I'm surprised by the intensity of some posters' disregard for Oslo. I really don't see it as "been there, done that." What I see is that the IOC has taken two big gambles with the Wint

This statement is incredibly angry and off-putting. The IOC ought to say "mea culpa." Instead they're lashing out at the Norwegians. This isn't going to fix anything and it shows just how out of tou

So 1 of them says that France and Italy may not bid. And the other feels compelled to respond by saying pretty much the same thing, just worded a little differently...

Yeah...I still rather prefer having the games in Oslo rather than ANOTHER authoritarian country. Hosting the games in Almaty or Beijing is basically a guaranteed Sochi 2.0.

MKA - Keep in mind that most of us skeptics would *love* to see the games go to Oslo. Love to! We just aren't sure the people of Norway want to pay for the party.

Thanks, it's good to see at least some support! :)

Well, I guess it after all is the money that's the most used argument against the bid, in different forms (the money itself, the risk of cost overruns, the huge spending in Sochi etc.), as well as the "pampering factor" of the IOC. I do have some more "local" arguments for why Norway can afford having the Olympics, but to understand those, I guess you must understand local, Norwegian politics. Regarding the "pampering factor", it's easy to answer that the IOC members pay for all expences during their stay in Oslo except transport to and from the airport, and hence try to show that they pay for their stay, but I guess the "mourning band" scandal from Sochi is hard to understand for Norwegians. And it's of course very hard to argue back if that's being used as an argument, especially considering the flagging at half mast during the Sydney Olympics in 2000, for Samaranch's wife - which appears to be a paradox. I do understand why the IOC have these rules, but if people makes this argument against the bid, it's impossible to argue back. I guess we just needs to focus on the positive. But here again, the Bid Committee meets a problem: if they start talking positive about the bid, or even present some facts about it, it's "manipulation" and "propaganda" - it's even called "Goebbels propaganda", which I think is way out of line. It's not easy to be in favour of the bid, neither for the Bid Committee or for us "normal" people who are in favor of the application. I guess the easiest is to just stop the bidding process, but that wouldn't really be a good idea (hey, we've spent quit some money making this application, it's not smart to stop it already now!).

Rogge must be regretting the day they picked that city to host the games, btw. Probably his worst mistake. That and creating a games nobody gives a crap about.

I don't think the IOC should regret to have chosen Sochi. Anyway, it was a good experience for everybody. Good lesson are learnt if troubles are experienced before.

Now let's see if the Norwegian people really want to host for the 3rd time. After all, they really have free will to go ahead or not.

And now Oslo is a candidate city. I guess they'll keep going from now on. Here's hoping the popular support gets better in a year or not even being the best bid technically will help them win.

And now Oslo is a candidate city. I guess they'll keep going from now on. Here's hoping the popular support gets better in a year or not even being the best bid technically will help them win.

I clearly remember some users here saying that the public support in Norway will boost after good results achieved by Norwegian athletes in Sochi.

The public support for the Oslo 2022 bid dropped since February, right?

It looks to me like a powerful minority is trying really hard to force Olympics on people who, for the most part, do not want them. If the people of Norway change their minds, then yes, they should stay in the race and host the 2022 Olympics. But if the IOC and members of the Norwegian government try to ram the Olympics down the people's throats despite their opposition, then I sincerely hope their efforts fail miserably.

Oslo 2022 would clearly be best for the IOC and the athletes, but would it be best for Norway? Foisting the Games on the Norwegians against their clearly stated wishes would just be the latest grisly manifestation of the self-centeredness that has so compromised the IOC's respectability. They would again be saying, in effect, "Our two week party is more important than what your people want." It's just plain wrong.

It looks to me like a powerful minority is trying really hard to force Olympics on people who, for the most part, do not want them. If the people of Norway change their minds, then yes, they should stay in the race and host the 2022 Olympics. But if the IOC and members of the Norwegian government try to ram the Olympics down the people's throats despite their opposition, then I sincerely hope their efforts fail miserably.

Oslo 2022 would clearly be best for the IOC and the athletes, but would it be best for Norway? Foisting the Games on the Norwegians against their clearly stated wishes would just be the latest grisly manifestation of the self-centeredness that has so compromised the IOC's respectability. They would again be saying, in effect, "Our two week party is more important than what your people want." It's just plain wrong.

Yeah, agree. And also it's been one of the reasons I've long thought that even if the Norwegian government and bid last the distance, it may not be a palatable option for the IOC members to think of foisting the games on a country and public that's going to give them seven years of grief and abuse for the "honour".

Remember Tokyo wasn't doing as well (though Oslo is in a much worse situation) in terms of public support. If the bid committee can quell concerns and promote a positive image of the games I would expect the approval ratings to go up. However that is easier said then done. Here is hoping it can be done.

I clearly remember some users here saying that the public support in Norway will boost after good results achieved by Norwegian athletes in Sochi.

The public support for the Oslo 2022 bid dropped since February, right?

The public support is precisely the same in the most recent Oslo2022 bid committee poll as the February poll by the bid committee (36 percent in favour, 49 percent against). It was hoped that the public support would increase after good results in Sochi. However, I assume that this effect was overshadowed by the mourning bond case, by some slightly unfortunate statements by persons within the IOC (both Gerhard Heiberg and Thomas Bach, I think - at least the statements were a bit misinterpreted by Norwegians), by a case about Heiberg using his position as IOC member to promote his family business in China and by the huge spending in Sochi. All this appeared during the Sochi Olympics, and together it led to the public support staying at status quo - Norwegians got a rather bad (but I would say wrong) impression of the IOC and they assume that any Olympics is more expensive than it really is, due to the Sochi spending.

I do believe that if Oslo is awarded the Olympics, it will be very hard to find a single person opposing hosting the Olympics during the Olympics and after the Olympics. According to the president of the NOC, it was a pretty similar situation prior to the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics. On the national evening news earlier tonight, he stated that the polls for Oslo 2022 currently actually is better than the polls were seven years prior to the Lillehammer Olympics. However, I haven't any numbers on this, but I assume the NOC president is correct. And today, you won't find a single person that regrets hosting the 1994 Olympics. Still, I hope that people will get more in favour of the Oslo 2022 bid, and I'll do my very best in making that happen.

If they can get that $2.1 billion from the private sector, they might as well try to get that last $1.1 billion from them as well and use it to replace the public funding. This is the only way I think they can save the bid and appease the Norwegian population at large. Could they get another 27 corporations to cough up $40 million each? Sounds difficult.

I do believe that if Oslo is awarded the Olympics, it will be very hard to find a single person opposing hosting the Olympics during the Olympics and after the Olympics. According to the president of the NOC, it was a pretty similar situation prior to the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics. On the national evening news earlier tonight, he stated that the polls for Oslo 2022 currently actually is better than the polls were seven years prior to the Lillehammer Olympics. However, I haven't any numbers on this, but I assume the NOC president is correct. And today, you won't find a single person that regrets hosting the 1994 Olympics. Still, I hope that people will get more in favour of the Oslo 2022 bid, and I'll do my very best in making that happen.

You're right. The IOC were also getting plenty of stick in the lead-up to Lillehammer in Norwegian public debate. All fuelled by the same old suspects - His Excellency El Jefe's extravagance and pomposity and campaigning for the Nobel Peace Price, the perception the games were out of touch with the grass roots, the IOC dictatorial yadda yadda yadda. Which all goes to remind that IOC and games-scpeticism wasn't just invented after the SLC scandal or Sochi. Don't know or remember if public support was at ever the current poor polling levels though - it'd be interesting to see the NOC's figures. And I think modern media channels like social media have changed the game and given opposition groups far more oxygen to grow - and make it far harder to counter the myths, assumptions, misunderstandings and exaggerations of the games sceptics.

But yeah, I think it would be a safe bet to say that if Oslo won, Norway would quickly fall under the spell. Just like in Brazil now, where all the protests against the WC dribbled out to a handful of cranks within days of the kick-off and the country's gone back to situation normal, football crazy. And as happened with the protests marring the lead-up to Vancouver. And Sydney.

We shouldn't forget that the Oslo bid already passed a referendum, though not on national level. It was not an overwhelming result, but a majority of directly affected people in Oslo approved it.

My guess is that Norwegians, just like Bavarians, would love to host, but they don't want to do so by playing by rules set up by a clandestine organisation seemingly in denial of reality. That's the tricky part: If the bid committee can impose some demands on the IOC, and sell that to the govt and public, it's a done deal.

But of course, this would also require the IOC to accept humiliation, which it basically would be.

But of course, this would also require the IOC to accept humiliation, which it basically would be.

Yeah, but this is the IOC we're talking about. Elite athletes plus elite business men in one room= massive egos. It's a tough sell for them to accept humiliation.

Surely this is one of the defining reasons as to why the IOC has failed to step out and tell people that Sochi's circumstances and spending were anomalies and will never happen again.

Edited by ofan97

Surely this is one of the defining reasons as to why the IOC has failed to step out and tell people that Sochi's circumstances and spending were anomalies and will never happen again.

Get with the flow: Sochi was an overwhelming success and made a profit! Why claim it was an anomaly?!

;-)

• Like 1

Get with the flow: Sochi was an overwhelming success and made a profit! Why claim it was an anomaly?!

;-)

Sochi was a dream games. All 50 billion went straight into putting on the games. It's not like three quarters of it was embezzled by Russian oligarchs or anything. Any notion of that is preposterous! I'm going to go home now and play with my fencing medal from 1976, so you can all kiss my ass. Get back to me when you win in team foil at the Olympics. Later I'll give Vladimir a massage while he tells me all about St. Petersburg 2024 and Donetsk 2028. I'll smile back at him as I envision Olympics with massive billion dollar velodromes and stray dog infested villages. Vladimir hits me when I ask him "but what about Durban" and he says "No. Russia only". I cry a little bit but then I remember that I am supposed to be a resolute swordsman and I get over it. I'll then return to Lausanne where Dick tells me that now it's just between Tehran and Pyeongyang for 2022. But of course, there's nothing to worry about here. I'm confident that both sites would deliver wonderful Winter Olympic Games. People are more interested in the Olympics then ever before. Failed referendums in every democratic society on earth do not worry me. Hell, it just makes it all a little more interesting.

- From the desk of little Tommy Bach.

• Like 2

You're right. The IOC were also getting plenty of stick in the lead-up to Lillehammer in Norwegian public debate. All fuelled by the same old suspects - His Excellency El Jefe's extravagance and pomposity and campaigning for the Nobel Peace Price, the perception the games were out of touch with the grass roots, the IOC dictatorial yadda yadda yadda. Which all goes to remind that IOC and games-scpeticism wasn't just invented after the SLC scandal or Sochi. Don't know or remember if public support was at ever the current poor polling levels though - it'd be interesting to see the NOC's figures. And I think modern media channels like social media have changed the game and given opposition groups far more oxygen to grow - and make it far harder to counter the myths, assumptions, misunderstandings and exaggerations of the games sceptics.

But yeah, I think it would be a safe bet to say that if Oslo won, Norway would quickly fall under the spell. Just like in Brazil now, where all the protests against the WC dribbled out to a handful of cranks within days of the kick-off and the country's gone back to situation normal, football crazy. And as happened with the protests marring the lead-up to Vancouver. And Sydney.

Thanks for this reply, since I was borned a few months after the 1994 Olympics, I don't know that much about the process so it's helpful to read some about it. I think I'll go to the library some day soon and borrow some books about the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics and see if they say something about this, and maybe lists some of the polls from that period. And you're very true about the new "Internet democracy"; since the "no" side is in majority in every comment field at all the newspaper's websites, it's very hard to be the almost only Oslo2022 supporter, standing in the storm... Besides, it leads to a snowball effect, where people easily are convinced by the "no" side - people are happily supporter of the team that is in the lead in such matters as this. I think you're correct saying that the situation in Norway will be rather similar to what happened in Brazil with the World Cup, dough hopefully it turns earlier than in Brazil.

;-)

Yeah, I have read a bit about this. I guess they subtract all the permanent investments, which I guess makes sense, but I still find it very hard to see that Sochi was profitable. Especially considering that Vancouver say they "only" made break even. I find it possible to believe in that, but it makes it hard to believe that Sochi - who spent much more money, without apparently having any more income - made a profit. Does anyone know how Vancouver and Sochi respectively have calculated these numbers? It would be great to know what is included and excluded, so it may be possible to use at least Vancouver as an argument for Oslo2022 application (I think it would be impossible to convince people that Sochi made ​​a profit - especially since I do not believe in it myself ...).

Just like in Brazil now, where all the protests against the WC dribbled out to a handful of cranks within days of the kick-off and the country's gone back to situation normal, football crazy.

But let's just not hope that changes after tonight's match... ;)

Oslo2022 launches Candidate City logo

Press release, 7/14/2014
Oslo2022-cclogo-kvad.png

As a proud and official Candidate City for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, Oslo2022 has today launched a new logo and visual profile, accompanied by a new website for our international audience.

Includes the Olympic rings

Pierre de Coubertin, the father of the modern Olympic Games, drew the rings in 1913. Today they are over one hundred years old, and perhaps the most known and popular symbol of global community and international sports.

– The presence of the rings definitely strengthens our visual identity. The logo also reflects our core values – urban and close to nature, playful and responsible, generous and ambitious, says Eli Grimsby, Chief Executive Officer of Oslo2022.

Nordic simplicity

Norwegian company Snøhetta Design has developed the logo and the visual profile on behalf of Oslo2022. Visually, the starting point in the process was the composition of words and letters in Oslo2022, and the design only contains character elements that are put together as in a construction kit. The logo is also based on a Nordic design expression – Nordic Simplicity.– The biggest change from the Applicant City logo is the “calibration” of the colours towards the legendary color palette of the rings, says designer Henrik Haugan in Snøhetta, who developed the logo in cooperation with designer Kim André Ottesen.

New website

As an official Candidate City, Oslo2022 has today launched an extensive upgrade of our website www.OL22.no. Here we will share the latest news, information and activities with our international audience.

http://www.ol22.no/en/news/oslo2022-launches-candidate-city-logo

The public support is precisely the same in the most recent Oslo2022 bid committee poll as the February poll by the bid committee (36 percent in favour, 49 percent against).

I found this among comments to the interview with Elin Grinsby. Public support for the bid in a whole country:

Aug 2013: 38% (Norstat for NRK)

Sep 2013: 42,5%. (InFact for VG)

Feb 2014: 34,5% (InFact for Nordlys)

Feb 2014: 32,6%. (InFact for VG)

Apr 2014: 34,7% (Sentio for Klassekampen)

May 2014: 34,2%. (InFact for VG)

Jun 2014: 29% (Respons for Bergens Tidende)

Jun 2014: 24% (Ipsos MMI for Dagbladet)

Are those last numbers accurate?

Just like in Brazil now, where all the protests against the WC dribbled out to a handful of cranks within days of the kick-off and the country's gone back to situation normal, football crazy. And as happened with the protests marring the lead-up to Vancouver. And Sydney.

In Brazil many protesters were jailed to suppress the anti-World Cup protests. And some have been shot. Vancouver and Sydney are fair points, though.

Aren´t they doing that al the time? The coverments... When they raise taxes, cut personal en Health care, close schools and much more... So why stop now ;)

The Olympics are so much bigger and so much more visible that I think there's no way they can get away with it.