Oslo 2022

kernowboy

I think it'll either be Oslo or Krakow, I know, not very interesting, but I think it's accurate.

People harp on Krakow for being a dual nation bid, but it's happened before with places such as Salzburg where only a few events need to be located in the other country. Krakow is building all the new infrastructure as we speak and for a place that truly is a Winter Olympic Games country but hasn't hosted yet, I think the IOC will be intrigued by it. Although I think in the end Oslo will win the games because just like Tokyo, it is the "safe" option, in reality Krakow and even Stockholm aren't very risky either, although you could argue with Are that Stockholm is a bit risky as well..

I've always been a fan of bringing the olympics to a new place, and as much as I wouldn't mind seeing Almaty host, I think that Krakow and Poland really deserve to host the games and I think the people of Poland think so as well. Public support is enormously high in Krakow and I think the IOC should take into consideration that Poland has that support and it is a true Winter Olympics Country.

Why didn't Krakow Bid with Tatra Mountains? It is nearer than Jasna, and it is the Polish side of the Poland-Slovakia Border and would of given a strong Bid for Krakow, without the risk of rejection for joint bid?

Why didn't Krakow Bid with Tatra Mountains? It is nearer than Jasna, and it is the Polish side of the Poland-Slovakia Border and would of given a strong Bid for Krakow, without the risk of rejection for joint bid?

I wondered the same thing the first time I saw the bid idea, but quite honestly I think the Poles wanted to bid with the help of the Slovakians because, although they have never had a candidate city, they may be able to help the Polish O.C. out with advice from their previous run. And of course, I think the Slovakians really wanted in, and again this is speculation, I would think had they not worked with Krakow, they would have bid on their own, and then Krakow would have had even more competition which they didn't want. Again, all pure speculation but those are my thoughts

I wondered the same thing the first time I saw the bid idea, but quite honestly I think the Poles wanted to bid with the help of the Slovakians because, although they have never had a candidate city, they may be able to help the Polish O.C. out with advice from their previous run. And of course, I think the Slovakians really wanted in, and again this is speculation, I would think had they not worked with Krakow, they would have bid on their own, and then Krakow would have had even more competition which they didn't want. Again, all pure speculation but those are my thoughts

The IOC is not in favor of joint country Bids, so what in the Bid Committee's mind's thought that that would change?

The IOC is not in favor of joint country Bids, so what in the Bid Committee's mind's thought that that would change?

Ok I will look through Krakow 2022. Thanks Stefan.

The forums about Krakow 2022 are correct in saying that due to Ecological and Land-Ownership Reasons, the Tatra Mtns. couldn't be used. But, I think there were just as suitable mountain skiing venues/places throughout Poland that could have been used. Although obviously they couldn't have been as far away as Are. That's why I feel it was sort of a situation where the Slovaks wanted in a bit, and the Poles thought they could use their thoughts and help, so that's why I speculated as such above, because there are numerous other ski resorts in Poland to be used that aren't the distance of Are.

The forums about Krakow 2022 are correct in saying that due to Ecological and Land-Ownership Reasons, the Tatra Mtns. couldn't be used. But, I think there were just as suitable mountain skiing venues/places throughout Poland that could have been used. Although obviously they couldn't have been as far away as Are. That's why I feel it was sort of a situation where the Slovaks wanted in a bit, and the Poles thought they could use their thoughts and help, so that's why I speculated as such above, because there are numerous other ski resorts in Poland to be used that aren't the distance of Are.

Yes. I just read that and Tatra Mountains would of brought up Eco issues, so they chose to go with Slovakia, with I still can't see winning. It will be Stockholm VS Oslo. Almaty coming in 3rd.

^^ Sure, where Stockholm has Are around 600km away and all Krakow has to deal with is Jasna a mere 200km away...

The IOC won't look at it like that. Are and Stockholm are in 1 country, Jasna and Krakow are 2. Plus they proposed a High Speed Railway between Stockholm and Are.

The IOC won't look at it like that. Are and Stockholm are in 1 country, Jasna and Krakow are 2. Plus they proposed a High Speed Railway between Stockholm and Are.

Wow.

So the fact that it takes around 7 hours to get from Stockholm to Are and only a couple hours to get from Krakow to Jasna is canceled out by the fact that Jasna is in a different country (which is specifically provided for in IOC rules regarding topographical necessity)? I'd rethink that.

Plus, you've talked about a bullet train. That might reduce travel times slightly. Only problem is EVERYONE has to take it (all athletes, coaches, staff, spectators, etc). And there's no way it can cover the whole distance because a good portion of the trip would be through mountains where high-speed trains are impossible. Finally, does Sweden need a bullet train from Stockholm to Are? Are they committed to building and, more importantly, funding one? I have my doubts.

Let's all start investing in transporter technology. Teleportation would make things much quicker! :P

It should also be noted that we haven't seen the full Krakow picture yet. If a spruced up rail link is proposed between Poland and Slovakia, where it happens to pass Krakow and Jasna, potential travel times less than 2 hours (or similar to Oslo and Lillehammer, which was proven and worked for Lillehammer's 1994 Olympics) would be far more accessible than 7 hours from Stockholm to Are.

Edited by Lord David
  • Like 1

Almaty and Beijing stand no chance for this Bidding, Almaty will have a chance should they Bid for 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. But this time round no, because as people keep saying, they won't have 3 Asian Olympics in a row. Lviv is weak, Krakow is a joint bid so they won't get it, which leaves Stockholm and Oslo. Stockholm has the edge because Norway hosted it more recently.

But the Sweden and Norway bids don't have government support nor likely too, The China and Kazakhstan bids have support support from the government since the beginning there will be lots of Asian Olympics Games in this century more Asian Olympics Games then European Olympics Games.

But the Sweden and Norway bids don't have government support nor likely too, The China and Kazakhstan bids have support support from the government since the beginning there will be lots of Asian Olympics Games in this century more Asian Olympics Games then European Olympics Games.

Norway will have government support, and most probably Sweden will aswell.

Thanks for sharing this completely new and different view.

They will both have unconditional government support eventually as stated before unless they really want strained relations with the IOC.

Just look at Rome's 2020 bid. Since they bailed out prior to the application deadline (despite making a website and producing a proper applicant book as per the new applicant book format) the Italians would most likely have strained relations with the IOC. Milan bailed out during the 2000 bid race so that's a different matter. Should Rome or any other Italian city make another bid in the future they will surely make the shortlist, but definitely be punished in the election by possibly coming dead last, regardless of how strong the bid is.

Edited by Lord David

Perhaps. But any future bid from said country will definitely be punished should they bid again. Why should the IOC be doing them any favors if they didn't follow up their previous bid?

For that exact reason, perhaps the IOC should lay down a rule saying you cannot put forward an Official Bid until you have the Government Backing, to stop what happened with Rome 2020. I think even if Rome stayed in the race, Tokyo would of still won, but Rome would of been made Candidate instead of Madrid IMO.

Rome a candidate instead of Madrid? Despite Madrid making it in 2012 and 2016 (especially when 2012 had 5 candidates, 4 of which were European cities). It would have simply just been a 4 city candidate race, where Rome would have split votes and could have been the one which might have won vs Tokyo (where you have austerity concerns for Madrid, the protests and 2 new frontiers in a row for Istanbul and the minor Fukoshima power plant disaster for Tokyo).

Rome would have played the austerity card as well, but would have been less than Madrid's and more viable as a plan. Not to mention that clearly having hosted before wasn't an issue for Tokyo.

Edited by Lord David

Rome a candidate instead of Madrid? Despite Madrid making it in 2012 and 2016 (especially when 2012 had 5 candidates, 4 of which were European cities). It would have simply just been a 4 city candidate race, where Rome would have split votes and could have been the one which might have won vs Tokyo (where you have austerity concerns for Madrid, the protests and 2 new frontiers in a row for Istanbul and the minor Fukoshima power plant disaster for Tokyo).

Rome would have played the austerity card as well, but would have been less than Madrid's and more viable as a plan. Not to mention that clearly having hosted before wasn't an issue for Tokyo.

Madrid and Istanbul had too many issues. But still I have no idea how Istanbul went into final round of voting instead of Madrid. And what I meant was not who I thought would of been Candidates, I meant from the IOC's POV. My POV, it would of been Tokyo, Rome and Madrid.

And the IOC's POV would have still been a 4 city bid race. Can't fault Istanbul (as per your POV) despite it's issues. They took that break from 2016 for good reason, but ended up with a sloppy 2020 bid (and the protests didn't help either).

I personally think it would of been a 'mess' if Istanbul was chosen. The City has enough Government Protests as it is. Plus Transport issues, and Economical Finance. Good Job IOC. You picked the City I supported (Tokyo 2020), I can't be biased i'm from London, England.

Uhmmmm, FYI, they co-hosted the First Asian Winter Games 2 years If the 2007 Pan Ams helped bring the big One to Rio, I don't see why ALmaty's chances for landing the big Winter One should be any less?? Its being in Asia probably wouldn't help, but technically, it doesn't mean it's bush league.

Ummmm, Baron, so what. Many also trumpeted Doha's 2006 Asian Games as a Summer Olympic test. But obviously the IOC didn't care. Rio got the 2016 Olympics NOT simply bcuz they hosted the Pan Ams. but bcuz the Brazilians actually had a compelling story to sell their bid with. The 2007 Pan Ams merely added a vote of confidence to the IOC to elect Brazil so they could tell that great story on a continent that never hosted before. Almaty, nor Kazahkstan, has no such exciting story to tell. I'll give you Krakow, but not Almaty.

And you just said it yourself, they "co-hosted" those much smaller scale Asian Winter Games with Astana. So Almaty didn't handle the full brunt of those smaller Games. So how can we be so sure that they can handle a much bigger Winter Olympic Games on their own. I'm not convinced, no matter what you & bid book lupe david have to say.