Oslo 2022

kernowboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This statement is incredibly angry and off-putting.

The IOC ought to say "mea culpa." Instead they're lashing out at the Norwegians. This isn't going to fix anything and it shows just how out of touch they really are.

I agree. Lillehammer's kiddie games will be all about bad weather now.

Is it just me or are (at least) the Winter Olympics going down the drain? I think that now that Graubünden, Munich, Stockholm, Krakow and Oslo have withdrawn from the race, this is far too much grist to the mill of Olympic opponents and sceptics in open democratic societies. I now can hardly imagine a winter bid (probably, in the not-so-far future, even a summer bid) from a democratic country getting full support from government and citizens and going through. And seriously, how many autocracies and dictatorships are there that are capable to host future Winter Games? Pyongyang 2026, anyone?

Now that Asia will host three Olympic Games in a row, the IOC has to do some very serious homework in order to make bidding for Olympic Games more attractive again (not only from its own, but also the national perspective).

And thus, the Vancouver Games will remain the last Winter Games leaving me without a feeling of "What the f*** are the Games doing there?" - for, as it stands, 16 bleeding years, until maybe at least one traditional and attractive European or American winter sports nation hosts the 2026 Games. But as I said, that scenario feels more and more improbable.

Nah. If China shows reforms as a result of the HKG protests, that will boost Beijing;s bid. If not, it's ALmaty's to lose!!

If you expect China to make reforms, then you're incredibly naive. Have you forgotten Tienanmen and how they still bully Taiwan to this day?

And even if they do, it will be just cosmetic changes. They will remain the dictatorship of pricks they've always been.

The IOC ought to say "mea culpa." Instead they're lashing out at the Norwegians. This isn't going to fix anything and it shows just how out of touch they really are.

It's a scandal in its own right. The IOC is behaving like a pesky schoolyard bully who causes trouble with lies and bad manners but still wants to play with the cool kids. Then one after the other starts to ignore him, so he has nobody but the ugly neighbour kids to play with. Instead of thinking about the reasons, the bully says it's the others' loss. Very mature reaction, bravo IOC!

If I were the Norwegian govt and NOC, I'd now tell them to shove their silly YOG where the sun doesn't shine.

As said before,I have seen this coming for years, and I fully support the decision. Part of the reason is IOC and its arrogance and the incredibly high costs. At least as important, however, was the arrogance of the Oslo elite, perceived by many having stolen the games from Oslo. Together with the clear no by the other governing party, the progress party, the Oslo 2022 was an impossible political project. High costs on something most people did not want, risking to ruin the government coalition.

Almaty wouldn't even be on the shortlist if Munich, Oslo, and Krakow were in this thing. Beijing is the insurance policy and the Chinese know it. Beijing knows they can make history as the first city to host both the winter and summer Olympics. They will likely win in a landslide next year.

It's seemingly clear by that IOC statement, that Oslo 2022 had this in the bag (despite some of the arguments against by some here) & that Beijing & Almaty stood no chance whatsoever. Now the IOC has to grin & bare the taste of castor oil.

For a Frenchman it's nice to see the shoe's on the other foot!!

Welcome to the club IOC!! :D

Almaty Kazakhstan got this in the bag now the last thing the IOC needs is another Sochi which Beijing China would be they are forecasting the games in Beijing 2022 will cost $15 billion min which could blow up to $40 billion you know Zhangijkou is an 3rd world city which will require major work to make it an Olympic ready city.

Almaty Kazakhstan right now is building up lots of stuff up regardless of the Olympics and Paralympics Games, They hosted an amazing Asian Winter Games by the IOC and will be hosting another big test event 5 years out from 2022 the 2017 Winter University Games and also in that year Kazakhstan is hosting the World Expo in Astana. Almaty Kazakhstan would be an fiscally conservative games which the IOC needs and I can see Europe IOC members backing Almaty Kazakhstan 2022 and would win in a landslide vote.

A China games would be foolish right now they can wait until the 2030s to host there 1st winter games the true winter city of China Harbin.

I can understand their frustration but it's not as balanced a statement as it ought to have been and it's not going to do them any good when it comes to all important perceptions.

I've had the impression for a while now the Norwegian Government has been politicking over this Olympic bid with a view to dropping out with a ready made excuse. It seemed they were always lukewarm and everything they did seemed confrontational rather than looking for a way to form a genuine partnership. I wasn't hugely impressed with many of their "demands" they sent to the IOC, some of which were a nonsense and others of which the IOC already does (I think Jeremie did a good disection of that in the relevent thread). It felt like they were playing to the gallery rather than actually looking for a way forward with this bid. That's got to annoy the IOC, especially if, as this statement says, Norway made no effort to attend meetings they'd set up at Oslo's insistence.

On the other hand, there ARE genuine problems and the IOC can't keep parroting that Sochi made a profit! Yes, it did on its OCOG budget, but so what?! And yes, there ARE two seperate budgets and making this clear is the right thing, but again, so what? Few hosts have everything in place and can forego a large infrastrcuture budget, so they can't simply brush aside cost concerns as being not part of the operational budget. I think they've underestimated the level of disgust over Sochi's budget and where the money was spent (Putin's missing billions etc). The IOC has to disown the Sochi model as tactfully as possible if it's to get people with real concerns back on board.

This statement deals with Norway's politicking, which I can understand has annoyed them. But it doesn't even begin to deal with what's going to happen going forward, which should concern them far more. Maybe we just have to wait and see what Agenda 2020 throws up....

I love the way the statement ends with what looks like a sudden belated realisation, "Uh-oh, we're already committed to working with the Norwegians in 2016."

The IOC should see this, in private at least, as a massive crisis. Unfortunately their response shows them to be utterly delusional and clueless. Perceptions of the IOC and its demands combined with the realities of the vile overblown spectacle of Sochi have made the Winter Olympics a toxic brand for much of the world and they seem to be completely unprepared for this.

To Rob:The IOC's communication since the Oslo decision is indeed curious. It is not true that the case that the Norwegians did not come to IOC meetings, but contrary perhaps to the IOC wishes it was in good Nordic tradition the topical experts, i. e. the ones that can ask the right questions, rather than the high-flying cocktail drinkers. I firmly believe that what we have seen here is a culture clash. The leader of the Oslo city government, a strong supporter of the bid, was lashing out on IOC today saying that he never has met anyone so focused on etiquette and titles. Further, the IOC blame the decision on half truths, but is not able to be specific. In reality, however, nothing of this mattered for the decision. What was important for the conservative party,most likely was the lack of popular support, the costs, and the survival of the national government coalition.

Archived