Oslo 2022

kernowboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IOC statement from Christophe Dubi, IOC Executive Director of the Olympic Games

"This is a missed opportunity for the City of Oslo and for all the people of Norway who are known world-wide for being huge fans of winter sports. And it is mostly a missed opportunity for the outstanding Norwegian athletes who will not be able to reach new Olympic heights in their home country.

It is a missed opportunity to make the most of the 880 million dollars investment the IOC would have made to the Games that would have built a considerable legacy for the people. In addition, national sponsorship rights granted by the IOC would have delivered a considerable sum and almost certainly substantially more than the 181 million dollars estimated in the bid. The most recent editions of the Olympic Winter Games (for instance Vancouver and Sochi), which have all either broken even or made a profit, have made sponsorship revenue four times higher than that.

Earlier this year the Norwegian bid team asked for a meeting with the IOC for an explanation of all aspects of the IOC requirements, including the financial details, and the IOC arranged this for all three bid cities in order to ensure fair play amongst the three bids. Unfortunately, Oslo sent neither a senior member of the bid team nor a government official to this meeting. For this reason senior politicians in Norway appear not to have been properly briefed on the process and were left to take their decisions on the basis of half-truths and factual inaccuracies.

For a country of such means, full of so many successful athletes and so many fanatical winter sports fans it is a pity that Oslo will miss out on this great opportunity to invest in its future and show the world what it has to offer.

We will work closely with the Olympic Movement in Norway to make the Lillehammer Winter Youth Olympic Games in 2016 a success for the young athletes."

http://m.olympic.org/mobile/news/ioc-statement/238610

Wow. Almaty versus Beijing. What a dog's breakfast.

Beijing did well with the Summer Games - apart from the cost blowout and ticketing mess (half empty "sold out" events).

They will run a professional Winter Games. I see no issues from an organisational viewpoint. They'll get the transport infrastructure up and running on time, the new snow venues will have a real shot at being used in the future and all the ice venues are ready to go.

Sure - it'll be more of the same but they will do well enough.

Almaty will do OK - they have handled a few multi sports events well.

Sure it isn't a glamorous race but there are two potential hosts I am not that stressed about being capable.

Lucky it's not Lviv VS Borjomi!

I doubt they're feeling crushed at the moment.

I was referring that Beijing and Almaty aren't the best places for WOG in that moment. Beijing did good games in 2008, but with the HK issues and the situation in human rights, the chinese capital city has not a good atmosphere are Oslo or even Liv has.

And Almaty, wel... i hope they'll do a good games.

Those in Norway seemed happy to let half-truths become fact (some of the arguments against this bid have been ridiculous), and the IOC was too quick to defend everything Sochi did which meant real concerns were never answered properly.

If the Norwegian government didn't bother to send a representative to a meeting they'd requested, it's not a good sign. But then again, would the IOC have actually given them answers they'd have liked?

Maybe best these two part ways for now. Or it would be if there were other good options.

I was referring that Beijing and Almaty aren't the best places for WOG in that moment. Beijing did good games in 2008, but with the HK issues and the situation in human rights, the chinese capital city has not a good atmosphere are Oslo or even Liv has.

And Almaty, wel... i hope they'll do a good games.

China has Tibet and Uighur issues around the 2008 Games and that didn't stop them. The HK issue will quiet down a bit soon enough after a half arsed gesture by the HK legislature. China may be amping up the rhetoric but they are also wisely showing some restraint.

It's seemingly clear by that IOC statement, that Oslo 2022 had this in the bag (despite some of the arguments against by some here) & that Beijing & Almaty stood no chance whatsoever. Now the IOC has to grin & bare the taste of castor oil.

Archived