Oslo 2022

kernowboy

I found this among comments to the interview with Elin Grinsby. Public support for the bid in a whole country:

Aug 2013: 38% (Norstat for NRK)

Sep 2013: 42,5%. (InFact for VG)

Feb 2014: 34,5% (InFact for Nordlys)

Feb 2014: 32,6%. (InFact for VG)

Apr 2014: 34,7% (Sentio for Klassekampen)

May 2014: 34,2%. (InFact for VG)

Jun 2014: 29% (Respons for Bergens Tidende)

Jun 2014: 24% (Ipsos MMI for Dagbladet)

Are those last numbers accurate?

I can't find any information online on the Bergens Tidende poll, and the article on the Dagbladet poll is behind they're paywall. It seems like the numbers from Dagbladet are accurate, but the Oslo2022 poll from the same period showed a little better result (35,5 %) and had a larger "basis" in the poll (more people asked), and the question asked was a little different: Dagbladet asked "Do you wish that Oslo should bid to host the Olympic Winter Games in 2022?" while Oslo2022 asked "Are you positive or negative to Oslo applying for the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in 2022?". Just a minor difference, but Dagbladet only asked about the Olympics while Oslo2022 also asked about the Paralympics.

And I've find a number from prior to the 1994 Lillhammer Olympics. At some point the support was down to 38 percent, so I don't think today's numbers are that bad (well, those below 30 percent are clearly bad), taken into account the new "Internet democracy". Of course, the numbers prior to the 1994 Olympics varied, so I guess the common picture wasn't as negative as it is these days. And I do understand most of the arguments against the bid, and even agree (at least parly) with some of them:

• It's not wrong to say that 21.7 billion NOK (3.5 billion USD) is a lot of money, and I think it's very important to work hard to keep the cost low and make the best use of all the money spent on the Olympics.
  • I also agree that the IOC needs to reform itself, becoming more democratic and more "honest", but I do believe that IOC is "better than it's rumour" in Norway (90 percent of the IOC income back to the Olympic organizers/the sport in general, hard work on reducing corruption etc.).
  • However, I do not agree that it's "terrible" that it's Oslo applying for the Games, as many Norwegians outside of the Oslo area thinks. The way I see it, it's only Oslo that can host an Olympic Games these days, both due to the Games becoming bigger, due to the Games simply becoming more complicated to host etc., and the need of the infrastructre and the arenas built for the Games is large enough in Oslo (and a lot of the infrastructure and arenas are already in place, so we can re-use it with only some minor upgrades).
  • I do agree that it'll be a little short time between the 1994 and 2022 Olympics, but as I see it, we have a very, very good chance to be awarded the Games this time, and since we anyway will host the Games at some time in the future, I believe it is right to go forward with the bid - so we don't spend a lot of money on a future bidding race with a smaller chance of getting the Games.
In total, I see the positive opportunities the Games will create as larger than the cost, and I really hope more Norwegians will se it the way I do.

I just don't see how the government can green-light something that the public clearly doesn't want.

If you make polls on most of the billions on the national budget, quit a few of the billions won't get a majority... But, well, as I've stated before, the Conservatives and the Labour Party makes a majority in the Parliament by themselves, and I don't see it as unlikely that they will secure support for the bid:

Still, I do think that an (at least small) increase in favour of the bid in the polls would be very helpfull, so I really hope we'll see that soon... :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oslo 2022 Winter Olympics bid committee highlights potential savings Oslo (dpa) - Amid flagging public support to host the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, the Oslo Olympic bid committee Thursday outlined how the budget could be trimmed.

But Oslo mayor Stian Berger Rosland, president of the bid committee, said while cuts could be possible, the committee was not recommending them at the present time.

"We have already handed in our proposal. It can be done, it is restrained and has undergone quality assessment," Rosland said.

Rosland‘s views were echoed by Borre Rognlein, head of the Norwegian Sports Confederation: "This is not our proposal, we have already handed in the best one."

Savings mentioned Thursday included not building new arenas in the Norwegian capital for some events, such as speed skating. That would instead be held at Hamar which hosted the event during the 1994 Winter Olympics at Lillehammer.

Other savings were to come from reducing the number of beds at the Olympic villages in Oslo and Lillehammer, and trimming administration and marketing budgets.

The measures could lower the state guarantee from 35 billion kroner (5.6 billion dollars) to 26.2 billion kroner, according to the estimates.

The bid committee has underlined that its original proposal has already focussed on using existing venues when possible.

Oslo is bidding for the 2022 Games against Beijing and Almaty in Kazakhstan. The International Olympic Committee will select the host city in July 2015, during its session in Kuala Lumpur.

The cuts were perceived as necessary to rally support for the bid. Recent opinion polls suggest public support is dropping, and the government has yet to give final backing.

Fears of soaring costs have earlier seen several other cities pull out of contention.

Norway hosted the Winter Olympics in Oslo 1952 and in Lillehammer in 1994.

http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/oslo-2022-winter-olympics-bid-committee-highlights-potential-savings_353776.html

Well, looks like Oslo is still hanging on in there. They are still Officially the Favourites to Host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. I wonder if these 'Money Saving' strategies for Oslo 2022, will change some of the Norwegian Public Votes.

The public of Norway wont care if they cut an few things they want to democratic choose to pick as host city 1st and have an national referenda as well, Oslo Norway 2022 bid is undemocratic and there are other issues which is killing this bid too, The Youth are against it as well and there will be an rally this Friday the 19th of September against this bid as well this bid is very much been dead for an long time now.

Almaty Kazakhstan would put on an low cost fiscally Conservative games which the IOC needs and while Beijing China would be another Sochi Russia 2:0 which the IOC don't needs right now at this point the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games will be very very very likely will be going to Almaty Kazakhstan.

The public of Norway wont care if they cut an few things they want to democratic choose to pick as host city 1st and have an national referenda as well, Oslo Norway 2022 bid is undemocratic and there are other issues which is killing this bid too, The Youth are against it as well and there will be an rally this Friday the 19th of September against this bid as well this bid is very much been dead for an long time now.

Almaty Kazakhstan would put on an low cost fiscally Conservative games which the IOC needs and while Beijing China would be another Sochi Russia 2:0 which the IOC don't needs right now at this point the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games will be very very very likely will be going to Almaty Kazakhstan.

Sorry, Almaty 2022 would be a Sochi 2.0, not Beijing 2022.

I can see Oslo 2022 staying in the race and Winning still.

Sorry, Almaty 2022 would be a Sochi 2.0, not Beijing 2022.

I can see Oslo 2022 staying in the race and Winning still.

There is an rally in Oslo against the Olympics Bid this Friday and it shaping out to be an big rally, The public is clearly against the bid and the Government is an Conservative Populist one it is very unlikely that it will pass the house this bid been long dead and it will be out by Christmas and leaving it an two way race between Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan for the 2022 Winter Games.

I've been thinking about Oslo 2022 a little bit. I'm wondering whether the Oslo bid team could do more to instill some confidence in their people, rather than the IOC. Couldn't they possibly step in there and reassure the folks that spending will be at a minimum? Say: look guys, Sochi was all new builds, was in an authoritarian nation where pissing out cash doesn't mean as much, and that it was an anomaly. Norway literally does not have the capability to spend half the money that Russia did. It's not really within their means or best interests to go high over budget, so shouldn't that instill some confidence in the folks of Oslo that fiscal responsibility will be the top priority of the bid team? Or does it really go beyond all this and focus on the fact that maybe because Norway is such a simple and genteele nation, they don't want the circus coming into town and ruining that? Would the hustle and bustle of the games be too big of a shock to their system that they say, no thanks, not for me please? Is the cost not really the big issue here?

There is an rally in Oslo against the Olympics Bid this Friday and it shaping out to be an big rally, The public is clearly against the bid and the Government is an Conservative Populist one it is very unlikely that it will pass the house this bid been long dead and it will be out by Christmas and leaving it an two way race between Beijing China and Almaty Kazakhstan for the 2022 Winter Games.

Can you please give me a link to this? I would love to read more about this rally...

I would had criticized this anti-olympic mumbo jumbo but realizing the huge waste that was Sochi and that 90% of the hosts who had promised to keep the costs low never kept their word, I don't blame them for being scared.

I want Oslo to win but part of me wants them to lose so the IOC will finally get a good slap in the face and realize everything which has been wrong with the Olympics on recent years

I would had criticized this anti-olympic mumbo jumbo but realizing the huge waste that was Sochi and that 90% of the hosts who had promised to keep the costs low never kept their word, I don't blame them for being scared.

I want Oslo to win but part of me wants them to lose so the IOC will finally get a good slap in the face and realize everything which has been wrong with the Olympics on recent years

If they haven't got a good slap in the face yet, they never will.

Exactly. They don't give a damn where the games are, as long as they're held somewhere & they get their money, they don't care if it's nothing more than a plaything for dictators. The only thing which would scare them would be if there were no bidders at all, which won't happen all the time China & Russia are around. I can only applaud the Norwegians & the European NOCs who did that report, for trying to stop the IOC turning completely into FIFA, hopefully Agenda 2020 will be meaningful & turn things round but I'm not holding my breath.

I think Calgary Canada will be called up to bid for the 2026 Winter Games and I think that Los Angeles USA if the USOC bidding city for 2024 will get the 2024 Summer Games it is too late to help the 2022 race the bid of Oslo Norway will likely be pulling out before Agenda 2020. LA can save the Olympics movement for the 3rd time with Europe not wanting to bid for 2024 eg Paris and Rome and Germany wants the 2024 EURO.

Sad all the hysteria about the over the top expensive Beijing-Sochi-Athens style Games.... London, Vancouver, Sydney for example held spectacular Games with well managed budgets (not cheap, but affordable)... the hugely expensive Games are only half the story.

Well isn't it also true that in political arguments like this both sides neglect the facts that either disprove or weaken their stance?

I think Calgary Canada will be called up to bid for the 2026 Winter Games and I think that Los Angeles USA if the USOC bidding city for 2024 will get the 2024 Summer Games it is too late to help the 2022 race the bid of Oslo Norway will likely be pulling out before Agenda 2020. LA can save the Olympics movement for the 3rd time with Europe not wanting to bid for 2024 eg Paris and Rome and Germany wants the 2024 EURO.

Germany, Turkey and Holland have all expressed interest in Hosting the UEFA Euro 2024.

Los Angeles doesn't stand a chance for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Calgary 2026 is a possibility. Also, Europe not wanting to Bid? Berlin or Hamburg, Paris, Rome and even Baku and Istanbul have all expressed interest in Bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Of course, Baku and Istanbul doesn't stand a chance for 2024, especially Istanbul.

Germany, Turkey and Holland have all expressed interest in Hosting the UEFA Euro 2024.

Los Angeles doesn't stand a chance for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Calgary 2026 is a possibility. Also, Europe not wanting to Bid? Berlin or Hamburg, Paris, Rome and even Baku and Istanbul have all expressed interest in Bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Of course, Baku and Istanbul doesn't stand a chance for 2024, especially Istanbul.

Have you heard that Paris Mayor she does not support an Olympics Bid and want to bid for World Expo instead and Italy Prime Minster is anti Olympics Games. So France and Italy may not even bid as well for 2024 like Germany if they want EURO 2024. Turkey is now an Islamic state and they wont win the 2024 games and Baku Azerbaijan wont be ready for the 2024 games to host it. Los Angeles USA is shaping out to be the clear frontrunner for the 2024 Summer Games.

Have you heard that Paris Mayor she does not support an Olympics Bid and want to bid for World Expo instead and Italy Prime Minster is anti Olympics Games. So France and Italy may not even bid as well for 2024 like Germany if they want EURO 2024. Turkey is now an Islamic state and they wont win the 2024 games and Baku Azerbaijan wont be ready for the 2024 games to host it. Los Angeles USA is shaping out to be the clear frontrunner for the 2024 Summer Games.

Nothing is Official Yet. Paris hasn't completely ruled out a Bid, neither has Rome. Germany looks like they are quite serious about Bidding.

Los Angeles will not Host in 2024. They won't have 3 Summer Olympics and Paralympics in a row outside of Europe.

Archived