Oslo 2022

kernowboy

The planned capacity of Bjerke Travbane is 25,000. Isn't it too small for opening ceremony?

I think it is. No winter ceremony venue has been under 40,000 since...a long time.

The ceremony stadium will be temporary and built in the middle of the racetrack i guess, so it could as well have 40,000 seats if the IOC asks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is. No winter ceremony venue has been under 40,000 since...a long time.

The ceremony stadium will be temporary and built in the middle of the racetrack i guess, so it could as well have 40,000 seats if the IOC asks.

Turin 2006 had 38,000 Seats I think.

Oslo has got to get the people and government on side, This is by far and away the best technical and best overall bid. Oslo would be an AMAZING Olympics but if they can't get government or public backing, they're sunk. This is the bid I'm hoping for though.

I know we want to keep the cost down, but there is a difference between white elephants and useful long-term venues. Couldn't Oslo could use a larger replacement for Ullevaal Stadion as the Norwegian national stadium and provide a ceremonies stadium of 40,000 capacity? I know Oslo isn't a huge city, but even the smaller European capitals have decent stadiums. If Cork, Cardiff, Liverpool, Gdansk, etc can maintain a large stadium and colleges do in the US, why can't Norway afford one mid-sized national stadium?

Honestly this 2022 race really makes me wish the USOC would try for another winter games instead of another foolish attempt at the summer games.

They need to bid with Salt Lake City or Denver for 2026, period. I even have a logo prepared just in case we do bid:

Salt Lake City Denver

fx46t0.png2dqock9.jpg

They need to bid with Salt Lake City or Denver for 2026, period. I even have a logo prepared just in case we do bid:

Salt Lake City Denver

fx46t0.png2dqock9.jpg

You forgot to tune background color, my monitor got low contrast and i can see you white paint work on light gray background

You forgot to tune background color, my monitor got low contrast and i can see you white paint work on light gray background

sorry.

Why would Denver use a logo associated with Salt Lake City? Why would Salt Lake City use a logo made from components of the 2002 logo, which is clearly trademarked and copyrighted?

It's a joke logo, made to imply how much I want us to bid for the winter games.

Ugh. Typical Americans who want instant gratification irrespective of the long term consequences.

If the US gets 2026, they won't see Summer Games until '48 at the earliest. I think anyone who believes they could get them any earlier is seriously delusional. 1996-2048 is too long for the world's biggest contributor to the Olympic movement to wait between Summer Games.

Ugh. Typical Americans who want instant gratification irrespective of the long term consequences.

If the US gets 2026, they won't see Summer Games until '48 at the earliest. I think anyone who believes they could get them any earlier is seriously delusional. 1996-2048 is too long for the world's biggest contributor to the Olympic movement to wait between Summer Games.

Or, they just don't happen to believe your theory that hosting a WOG will push back a SOC significantly. Now if you want to say they are wrong for not believe you, fine. But skip the instant gratification mumbo-jumbo, OK?

Or, they just don't happen to believe your theory that hosting a WOG will push back a SOC significantly. Now if you want to say they are wrong for not believe you, fine. But skip the instant gratification mumbo-jumbo, OK?

No. Not ok.

There may be some who would genuinely prefer to see Winter Games on American soil and who don't care about Summer Games. To those individuals, that statement about instant gratification does not apply.

But based on years of listening to arguments on these boards, I am satisfied that the majority of individuals are tired of waiting and would rather get the less desirable WOGS quickly rather than stay the course a wait patiently for a SOG. I think most posters are fooling themselves into thinking that SOGs can follow soon after WOGs because they want to believe it -- not because it is true.

The biggest reason for the gap in American Games is the perception that the Americans have hosted too much. Why would the IOC suddenly turn around and change their minds?

If the US lands 2026, Toronto will likely get 2032 (a race the US could not win due to their hosting in 2026). 1996-2032 is a gap of 36 years (9 cycles) between North American SOGs. I can't see any way the IOC would wait less than 4 cycles to return to North America after 2032. That's 2048.

Oh, did I forget to say "IMO?" Oops.

All this was derailed by Bernham's purloined logos. Can we get back to Oslo?

I know we want to keep the cost down, but there is a difference between white elephants and useful long-term venues. Couldn't Oslo could use a larger replacement for Ullevaal Stadion as the Norwegian national stadium and provide a ceremonies stadium of 40,000 capacity? I know Oslo isn't a huge city, but even the smaller European capitals have decent stadiums. If Cork, Cardiff, Liverpool, Gdansk, etc can maintain a large stadium and colleges do in the US, why can't Norway afford one mid-sized national stadium?

In the long run Norway needs a replacement for Ullevaal, yes. But at the moment it's not a topic. Mainly because the national team currently have problems filling half of Ullevaal at matches. But also because Ullevaal was recently expanded from 25,500 seats to 28,300 seats. So at the moment it wouldn't have the need. But of course, things change fast when it comes to that. Just three years ago Ullevaal was sold out in record time ahead of the Euro qualifier against Denmark in march 2011. And if Norway started winning again, and qualify for a tournament for the first time since 2000. Ullevaal will soon become to small. Norway planned a 55,000 seat venue in Groruddalen in the failed Euro 2016 bid. And stated a wish for a new stadium regardless of the Euros. But key people supporting a new stadium left the Norwegian Football Association at that time. General secretary Karen Espelund left the NFF in the summer of 2009. And in March 2010, NFF president Sondre Kåfjord was dropped for a third spell as president. Those two were the main supporters of building a new stadium. And less than a year after new people had entered those positions, a new stadium was dropped in favour of expanding Ullevaal. Though the main reason for this was of course that it wouldn't get any money from the government to build a new stadium. In the plans for Euro 2016, the government was supposed to finance 3,5 of 4 billion NOK.

Norway will have to wait until a possible Euro 2028 in Norway and Sweden for a new stadium.

I think most posters are fooling themselves into thinking that SOGs can follow soon after WOGs because they want to believe it -- not because it is true.

?

You just contracticted your whole point. Here you are agreeing that most posters pushing for a WOG do belive a SOG soon after is possible.

We may be wrong, but we aren't selling out for instand gratification.

You just contracticted your whole point. Here you are agreeing that most posters pushing for a WOG do belive a SOG soon after is possible.

We may be wrong, but we aren't selling out for instand gratification.

You're quoting out of context. The whole premise of my point is that it is PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that the IOC thinks the US has hosted too much. There is no way American hostings will be less than 20 years apart. I think everybody knows that deep down, even if some are in denial. You must admit that WOGs are the low-hanging fruit and they certainly aren't as juicy as the SOGs. Therefore I think the instant gratification claim is still valid -- particularly if you read a good sampling of the multitudinous pro-WOG posts.

Back to Oslo?

I looked through Oslo applicant file once again. While Almaty might be sugarcoating some things, Oslo seems to be too modest about what they have there, especially when it comes to the sport venues and existing accomodation.

Couldn't be Holmenkollen or Kvitfjell listed as an existing venues with no permanent modifications required? Do they need so much additional works?

Total number of existing hotel rooms in Oslo and Lillehammer area is 23,474. With planned 1,142 rooms, they barely meet the 24,400-benchmark. Why didn't they use campus locations like Almaty or Lviv predominantly did?

Snøhetta has designed a visual identity for Oslo's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Snohetta-designs-visual-identity-for-Osl

Snøhetta, an architecture and design firm in Oslo and New York, developed a design that combines geometric shapes taken from the letter O and the number zero, as well as forms that recur in the number two and the letter S.

The rings of the Olympic logo informed the repetition of circles and the choice of colour palette used to render the simple forms.

"The identity of Oslo 2022's visual language honours the inherent simplicity and openness in Nordic culture," said the designers in a statement.

"By balancing playful graphics and strict geometry, the identity represents both the celebration of the Games and the solid planning of the Norwegian bid."

As part of the development process, Snøhetta worked with the bid team to create an initial identity without a logo for the funding application to the Norwegian government. The designers then created the logo and typography, which also included creating architectural elements and signage for a presentation during the recent Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.

The identity was finally applied to an application document submitted to the International Olympic Committee in March.

Some of the material created by the designers for the bid, including maps of the potential venues, was required to include content and colour coding determined by the IOC.

Branded material produced to demonstrate the application of the identity includes brochures, business cards, a website and a CD ROM, onto which the designers silkscreened the logo's negative space in white, allowing the iridescent surface of the CDs to recreate the colours of the logo.

Oslo is competing with Kraków in Poland, Almaty in Kazakhstan, Lviv in Ukraine and the Chinese capital Beijing for the right to host the Games, with the winner due to be announced on 31 July 2015.

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/04/04/snohetta-visual-identity-oslo-2022-winter-olympics-bid/

• 3 weeks later...

Oslo Bid Addresses Public Support Concerns. Full story here - http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/A__46785/Title__Oslo-Bid-Addresses-Public-Support-Concerns/292/Articles - Source: Around the Rings.

You must admit that WOGs are the low-hanging fruit and they certainly aren't as juicy as the SOGs. Therefore I think the instant gratification claim is still valid -- particularly if you read a good sampling of the multitudinous pro-WOG posts.

I'm curious as to why you think that is the case. The winter games are cheaper and usually leave a better legacy in their hosts, especially in North America. Is it because the summer games are bigger that you find them "juicier?"

Oslo Bid Addresses Public Support Concerns. Full story here - http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/A__46785/Title__Oslo-Bid-Addresses-Public-Support-Concerns/292/Articles - Source: Around the Rings.

I wonder what their message will be to try and turn the public in favor of the bid. The Norwegian public should already be pretty familiar with the pros and cons after having hosted so recently.

I'm curious as to why you think that is the case. The winter games are cheaper and usually leave a better legacy in their hosts, especially in North America. Is it because the summer games are bigger that you find them "juicier"?

Well duh.

Seth Myers summer up the international outlook on the two Olympics types on SNL Weekend Update one time: "the summer olympics are an international spectacle, the Winter Olympics are just 15 different types of sliding".

"Spectacle" is a good choice of words, though. The venues and cost of the games no longer make sense for any western city that doesn't have most of the infrastructure and venues in place. London is one of the two true alpha+ cities in the world (NY is the other) and they did an unbelievable job planning for a post games legacy. But they still ended up having no use for the Olympic stadium and paid for a number of temporary venues that were scrapped after the "spectacle."

It's easy to say that we don't care about the finances, but if you lived in Chicago would you want a Montreal style games that left the city in debt for a decade to pay for temporary venues and a stadium that would have to be rebuilt afterwards to suit the needs of the Bears?

If the USOC can't find a good bid for the summer games for the next couple of cycles, then I don't see why they shouldn't let some city bid for the winter games.

Archived