Oslo 2022

kernowboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oslo has low public support #s compared to Krakow.

Why should the IOC go where they aren't wanted?? :P

But I'm glad Norway is ahead now. ;)

Let's be fair about what those poll numbers show.. Norweigans aren't against the Olympics. They're afraid of the costs associated with them. Poland doesn't know what they're getting into. Not to say they're incapable of handling it, but it's that naïveté that potentially makes them unaware of what they're getting into.

Poland doesn't know what they're getting into. Not to say they're incapable of handling it, but it's that naïveté that potentially makes them unaware of what they're getting into.

After EURO 2012? Yes, we know what we are getting into.

Norweigans aren't against the Olympics. They're afraid of the costs associated with them.

The cost have been estimated and publicly presented by the Oslo Bid Committee. The costs are way more smaller than Sochi 2014 Games. Norwegians are highly educated nation, they definitely can add and estimate the costs, so let me rephrase your statement:

Norwegians aren't againt the Olympics. They are more against the IOC politics.

Krakow bid has a 70% popular support and you call it naive and unaware.

I'm really interested how would you call the poll when 70% Norwegians would love to see OWG coming to their country? Naive? Unaware?

No, you would piss your pants because the Games will just come back to that traditional winter games nation, and you all just waiting to that another Lillehammer-style Opening Ceremony.

Of course, you have no argument that cities like Krakow or Almaty couldn't provide you the same thing; that modest, traditional ethnic-based outdoor ceremonies coming to the completely new regions (unlike Oslo).

The cost have been estimated and publicly presented by the Oslo Bid Committee. The costs are way more smaller than Sochi 2014 Games. Norwegians are highly educated nation, they definitely can add and estimate the costs, so let me rephrase your statement:

I'm really interested how would you call the poll when 70% Norwegians would love to see OWG coming to their country? Naive? Unaware? did you mean againts that ridiculous thomas bach???

No, you would piss your pants because the Games will just come back to that traditional winter games nation, and you all just waiting to that another Lillehammer-style Opening Ceremony.

Of course, you have no argument that cities like Krakow or Almaty couldn't provide you the same thing; that modest, traditional ethnic-based outdoor ceremonies coming to the completely new regions (unlike Oslo).

I'm really interested how would you call the poll when 70% Norwegians would love to see OWG coming to their country? Naive? Unaware?

did you mean againts that ridiculous thomas bach???

did you mean againts that ridiculous thomas bach???

Wait, what? Thomas Bach isn't ridiculous at all. He gave an interview to the Polish media in early 2013, when he wasn't even the IOC president, saying that Krakow's bid is wonderfull, drooling all over the place.

is this Oslo thread, or what??

Well, as you can see this year, Bach is now "drooling all over the place" & creaming his panties over Oslo. That after two "new" hosts for the Winter Games (2014 & 2018), they must return back to their "roots"! Go figure.

Bach is/was wrong to be openly partial. Not even Samaranch was that careless. He should be more careful. It may backfire -- after all, votes are secret.

Wait, what? Thomas Bach isn't ridiculous at all. He gave an interview to the Polish media in early 2013, when he wasn't even the IOC president, saying that Krakow's bid is wonderfull, drooling all over the place.

is this Oslo thread, or what??

Let's put it this way: When was the last time an IOC President (or candidate) went somewhere/gave an interview to media in a country telling that that place/country would NOT make a good host?

In all fairness, as much as I disagree with Baron on the 2022 race, he cannot be biased, as he is not from Poland, Ukraine, China, Norway or Kazakhstan, or is he? Like I've said, Krakow will be a Candidate City, and will go into the final round of voting VS Oslo, but IMO, Oslo has the edge to win.

In all fairness, as much as I disagree with Baron on the 2022 race, he cannot be biased, as he is not from Poland, Ukraine, China, Norway or Kazakhstan, or is he? Like I've said, Krakow will be a Candidate City, and will go into the final round of voting VS Oslo, but IMO, Oslo has the edge to win.

You don't know baron very well, do you? Doesn't matter if someone is not actually from 1 of the bidding nations, they can still. If he likes Krakow's bid that much and is that confident they're going to win, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. It's where someone begins to lack objectivity about the bids and starts making bad arguments as a result that he/she is biased. With all due respect to due, he's going a little far out of his way to frame Poland as this amazing new frontier that the IOC would be foolish to skip over because of what they can do for "Olympism." At the same time constantly putting down Norway as a "been there, done that" option that the IOC will have no interest in. Again, there are merits to those arguments, but to all but ignore any positives of an Oslo bid or the negatives of a Krakow bid is not being totally objective, IMO.

Its a pity that Norway went with Oslo rather than go with a pure Lillehammer 2022.

People will say that the area is not big enough, but in reality even though the games has grown since 1994, in terms of facilities Lillehammer has almost everything you might want already in place.

From 1994, you still have

Hamar Olympic Hall - 10,600 - the Viking Ship for speed skating

Hakon Hall - 10,500 which is enough for Ice Hockey 1

Gjovik Hall - 6,000 which was the Ice Hockey 2 hall in 1994

Hamar Olympic Amphitheatre - 6,091 for the 1994 Figure Skating

Kristins Hall in Lillehammer which was used for Ice Hockey training and can hold up to 4,000 people

The Stampesletta Idrettspark has enough area for an 8-lane running track stadium, 3 grass football fields and gravel training areas. When you consider that the Temporary Basketball Arena in London 2012 had exterior dimensions of 115m x 100m x 35 and a full sized football field is 105m x 65m there would appear to be enough space for a Temporary Arena of 12,000 seats

Birkebeineren, Lygardsbakkene, and the Olympic Bobsleigh Track are still in place.

And if people can commute from Oslo to events, then maybe the opposite could have been reversed

Right, bcuz no one would've said that Lillehammer again is "too soon" when some already are saying that with Oslo, which hosted way back in 1952. Either way, Oslo would still be needed, for accommodations & transportation, since the Winter Games have grown so much since Lillehammer 1994. So why not just go with Oslo then. Oslo is one of Europe's beautiful cities, & would be amazing to see the cityscape everytime they would show the Games. Unlike a certain 2014 host, where when they talk about the country, they quickly go over a thousand miles away to Moscow or St. Petersburg.

And yeah, Baron must be part Polish. After all, I got accused of having Swedish heritage, by a couple here (including Baron) when i was objective of Stockholm's many attributes, rather than just focusing on their one main negative, like some here did. I mean, GCL & LD must also be part Kazahk since they're so in love with Almaty. But I, & Quaker & Stefan, etc must all be part Norwegian now, right. But anyway, I digress.

I don't think it's a pity, Norway has changed a lot since 1994 and I think it is appropriate for Norway to show a new and urban face to the world. And Oslo more than any other European capital has winter sport at its very heart. With the rennovated Holmenkollen ski jump, mini ski jumps in parks and schools, nordic skiing in woods, nowhere else is like it.

Not really

They are saying Norway for the size of country has had too many games - despite being the leading Winter Olympic nation it will only have been 3 times in 98 years if they are successful in 2022

And lets not forget there are physical limitations on who can actually host.

Yes there are additional sports but funny - Lillehammer, Gjovik and Hamar have actually grown in size as cities since 1994. Transportation links have improved massively since 1994 and it is much easier for people to come into the area on a daily basis.

If the idea is to have a compact bid, then having all the sports in close proximity makes just as much sense.

In which case they could've chosen to use Norefjell as the alpine sites and had a more compact and new looking bid if different was the aim

Its a pity that Norway went with Oslo rather than go with a pure Lillehammer 2022.

People will say that the area is not big enough, but in reality even though the games has grown since 1994, in terms of facilities Lillehammer has almost everything you might want already in place.

From 1994, you still have

Hamar Olympic Hall - 10,600 - the Viking Ship for speed skating

Hakon Hall - 10,500 which is enough for Ice Hockey 1

Gjovik Hall - 6,000 which was the Ice Hockey 2 hall in 1994

Hamar Olympic Amphitheatre - 6,091 for the 1994 Figure Skating

Kristins Hall in Lillehammer which was used for Ice Hockey training and can hold up to 4,000 people

The Stampesletta Idrettspark has enough area for an 8-lane running track stadium, 3 grass football fields and gravel training areas. When you consider that the Temporary Basketball Arena in London 2012 had exterior dimensions of 115m x 100m x 35 and a full sized football field is 105m x 65m there would appear to be enough space for a Temporary Arena of 12,000 seats

Birkebeineren, Lygardsbakkene, and the Olympic Bobsleigh Track are still in place.

And if people can commute from Oslo to events, then maybe the opposite could have been reversed

Erm. Stampesletta won't need an Athletics Track, it's the Winter Olympics, not a Summer.

Archived