Oslo 2022

kernowboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yet Oslo was where one of the most horiffic terrorist attacks in 2011 started.

I think you got it.

Even without taking any stand, the debate can be open and it should be . there should be no taboo subject as long as it has a relation with the topic and it can have an influence on the decision process. As much as I hate to mention it, the amateurism shown by the Oslo police on those tragic occasions undoubtedly raise a concern if games were to be held in this town. So did the attacks.

The extremist climate, the social problem that the norwegian society's facing with the surge of far-right activism leading to a huge hostility towards LGBT, immigrants, is a reality. And this social problem has its importance and has to be taken into account, should the games be held there.

Schola, you know what my links with Norway are, what they've been during my last visit there. Both you and I know many other things, and please don't take it personally. I just think anything that can have importance should be debated here, without any taboo, and we know each other well enough for you to know my last wish is to hurt you.

I have no horse, once again, and I've already stated it. I just think anything relevant should be debated, and I deplore the reluctance of the hard-line Oslo supporters to do so.

If the Oslo supporters deny those problems instead of trying to face them -with all the respect I have for them- they are going to sceal Oslo's doom by themselves.

I have no horse, once again, and I've already stated it. I just think anything relevant should be debated, and I deplore the reluctance of the hard-line Oslo supporters to do so.

If the Oslo supporters deny those problems instead of trying to face them -with all the respect I have for them- they are going to sceal Oslo's doom by themselves.

Such hyperbole coming from you, as usual. And sure you don't have a horse in this race. I guess your incessant, staunch support of "the Games must go to new places for the sake of Olympism" must be a figment of all our imaginations then. :-P

However, I don't see any 2022 applicants as facing anything near the same level of threat as Sochi.

Lviv aside, none of the applicants for 2022 face any significant security threats.

Security concerns won't decide the 2022 bid; there isn't enough difference in terms of overall safety issues between the serious contenders for it to be of significance.

Who said anything about it being the deciding factor. But it still will factor in as part of the bigger picture, as usual. Threat of terrorism isn't the problem with Sochi 2014. It's just one of the many factors that has made it a very controversial & bad PR choice.

*threat of terrorism isn't the 'only' problem with Sochi 2014.

I think you got it.

Even without taking any stand, the debate can be open and it should be . there should be no taboo subject as long as it has a relation with the topic and it can have an influence on the decision process. As much as I hate to mention it, the amateurism shown by the Oslo police on those tragic occasions undoubtedly raise a concern if games were to be held in this town. So did the attacks.

The extremist climate, the social problem that the norwegian society's facing with the surge of far-right activism leading to a huge hostility towards LGBT, immigrants, is a reality. And this social problem has its importance and has to be taken into account, should the games be held there.

As if you hate to mention it.

Someone once told me "you're so fake it's a joke". Someone who also speak fondly of not resorting to insults.

You know what I'm a big fan of? I'm a big fan of correct representation of facts and reasonable conclusions.

What you've written in this paragraph is simply not true. There's not a surge of far right extremism or violence; that's a ridiculous statement; there is generally little violence and very little violence related to race or such things. There's basically next to none neonazism or organized racism. The issues all countries in this hemisphere faces are serious and important, but not something to distort and emphasize the way you do.

Huge hostility towards LGBT? What are you on?

About security. I see no reason to go into a debate about the police's efforts that particular day, which is a complex matter of its own. What's clear is that there's generally little violence and that security is taken seriously, is heavily invested in and that efforts and budgets for that department will be more than adequate if the olympics arrive in 2022.

Schola, you know what my links with Norway are

"Norway/Sweden/scandinavia". Hm, no. You never told me remember. I do know that you wrote this in september:

Funny as I just spent a few days in Oslo.

Whether Oslo bids or not, it will remain the most beautiful capital of Europe to me. Winter games there would be wonderful. Great place for people in their twenties like me, too...

If they're in, I'm backing them. If not, I'll still go back.

This is something Oslo can do too, if they put up a fresher, better, more tempting and attractive bid. And your bid is for sure going to be amazing. Excellence is something that Norwegians are very attached to. Financing and transports are two issues that Oslo and Norway will have no problem dealing with. I fully agree with Faster's point-by-point relevant answer.

And I know that something happened between then and now, and that it explains your views.

To be clear, I've no problems with you or anyone else for that matter opposing the bid. I have a problem with your gross misrepresentation of facts in matters which are not trivial at all, as welll as "intellectual dishonesty".

Anyone's allowed to give things a deeper thought and adopt the right position. That was just a first thought and impression.

No, I never told you but I doubt you were interested so...

It's not even about me or you, or what I think anyway, independently from me, the issues I raised are serious and real. There should be no taboo. All I can say.

Schola, you know what my links with Norway are, what they've been during my last visit there. Both you and I know many other things, and please don't take it personally. I just think anything that can have importance should be debated here, without any taboo, and we know each other well enough for you to know my last wish is to hurt you. I have no horse, once again, and I've already stated it. I just think anything relevant should be debated, and I deplore the reluctance of the hard-line Oslo supporters to do so. If the Oslo supporters deny those problems instead of trying to face them -with all the respect I have for them- they are going to sceal Oslo's doom by themselves.

So there we have it: You do have a certain issue with Oslo as such - a personal one you have every right to keep private. But it obviously clouds your view on Oslo so much that you made a complete u-turn from your initial statements in this thread. When you did them in autumn last year, Utøya had already happened, so there is no new aspect to be considered now.

Any bid needs to look at security issues, and no police force in the world will ever be able to prevent a lone wolf (again, your facts he wasn't?) from carrying out vile actions.

As for the hard line Oslo supporters, I've said before - and stick to this - that I have a feeling pro-Oslo people here are far more favourable to Kraków than some of the pro-Kraków crowd are pro-Oslo.

The Oslo logo that has been posted here looks good but for some reason this was posted on gamesbids.com

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympic_bids/2022_olympic_bid/1216136860.html

and that is just ugly. any idea why this one is different. (I'm talking about the greys being thinner than every thing else)

Wrong version, the proper version can be seen on page 52 on this thread.

Archived