Oslo 2022

kernowboy

I have to say I'm surprised by the intensity of some posters' disregard for Oslo. I really don't see it as "been there, done that."

What I see is that the IOC has taken two big gambles with the Winter Games in a row: Sochi and PC. The Winter Games are already the tougher sell and squarely in the shadow of their Summer counterparts. We hope both Sochi and PC go well, but I suspect that the passion and enthusiasm for the Games may flag a bit in their wake. It's a great time for a fail-safe host that can guarantee enormous enthusiasm and educated crowds. Of course, Munich would've been the first choice, but I trust the Norwegians to do a fantastic job. Unless the government withholds support (and that is appearing unlikely), I think this race is well nigh over.

I've got nothing against Krakow, but it's not a slam dunk and I think that is what the IOC both wants and needs.

Well, the intensity of 1 for sure. I don't know how many others are that strongly against Oslo, aside from those who have a dog in the fight.

Not necessarily. Have any of you polled the IOC today...or how they will vote next year???

Have you polled them? You keep telling us you think you know what the IOC wants, but I'm not so sure. I think Athens is absolutely right.. this might be the time to go with the safe pick. We need to see what story Oslo tells with their bid. Ditto for Krakow. But it's not going to be so simple as that 1 country has hosted before and the other one hasn't. If Oslo can spin their bid that it's going to be beneficial for the city and that they're going to pump some energy into the Olympic movement, that can be a compelling message. And Krakow will need to match that with more than just that Poland has never hosted an Olympics before. That's not enough to get the job done. I'm not expecting you to have that answer as to what their message will be, but that's still something that Krakow and Poland need to figure out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the intensity of 1 for sure. I don't know how many others are that strongly against Oslo, aside from those who have a dog in the fight.

Pix Vic seems to be another one that's staunchly on the "new horizon" fix & that the Games must go to only new places from here on out. She criticizes any pragmatism over the likes of a bid like Oslo (& also when Stockholm was still in the discussion) & claims that any bid from Paris would be futile against one from South Africa for her "masochists French compatriots". But she claims that any U.S. bid would be hard to beat as well. Go figure.

Pix Vic seems to be another one that's staunchly on the "new horizon" fix & that the Games must go to only new places from here on out. She criticizes any pragmatism over the likes of a bid like Oslo (& also when Stockholm was still in the discussion) & claims that any bid from Paris would be futile against one from South Africa for her "masochists French compatriots". But she claims that any U.S. bid would be hard to beat as well. Go figure.

In being fair to Pixie Victoria, she ever said the Games only had to go to new places. To the contrary, she's acknowledged previously that it would be crazy to suggest it could never go back to the traditional places.

She may have said that, but then in that very same post she starts off with this (in vehement agreement with Baron's "new dimension Olympic idea".)

Some people just like to watch the same show over n over again 30 times. Then wonder where their feeling of boredom comes from. Not much you can do...

Others just don't give a da*n about "the olympic idea" (which is what members of the olympic are logically asked to do though - forget about their own national stakes and neutrally work in favor of olympism only) and just have their national interest in focus. Sad and anachronistic, but same thing...Nothing we can do about it. That's why.

Sounds like condradiction at best, disingenuous at worst. And it always seems the same type of rhetoric against traditional bids.

And Krakow will need to match that with more than just that Poland has never hosted an Olympics before. That's not enough to get the job done. I'm not expecting you to have that answer as to what their message will be, but that's still something that Krakow and Poland need to figure out.

No argument from me there. I'm just very passionate about my choices and NOT without reason. Why does my steadfastness make some people nervous?? Is it because I will be right in the end?? <_<

No argument from me there. I'm just very passionate about my choices and NOT without reason. Why does my steadfastness make some people nervous?? Is it because I will be right in the end??

What makes you think that you're making anyone here "nervous". You may be right in the end, but you could very well be wrong, too. The rest of us also have our "reasons" for our own points. Simply bcuz you want to dismiss them doesn't make them anymore or less worthy than your own. It's not like we're a whole bunch of newbies here cheerleading whatever just for the sake of it (like some others here do). And I think it's that "passion" that's making you quite bias actually.

Poland would be a new location, but it's certainly not a be-all & end-all one like you & a couple of other seems to be portraying it. It's not like it's a "last tick" pull like South America or Africa is. More like a Turkey or a Sofia. But while those could've been attractive alternatives as well, even in those instances the IOC was still not entirely convinced.

While I've admitted all along (& now with Stockholm outta the picture), Krakow seems to be in a good second place here, & depending on what their campaign is truly offering & how the Poles actually run it, it's still FAR from a "done deal" like you're painting it out to be.

No argument from me there. I'm just very passionate about my choices and NOT without reason. Why does my steadfastness make some people nervous?? Is it because I will be right in the end?? <_<

Should we bring up some of the Reno discussions here? We're not nervous, it's just that you are so passionate that sometimes it clouds your objectivity. And that gets frustrating when we're trying to engage in discussions with you when you have no interest in hearing arguments from the other side and/or you dismiss them completely as if the rest of us are idiots for not agreeing with you. If you're that passionate about Krakow and that convinced they will win, you're entitled to your opinion. But, and I know this is going to come as a surprise to you.. you may wind up not being right in the end.

In being fair to Pixie Victoria, she ever said the Games only had to go to new places. To the contrary, she's acknowledged previously that it would be crazy to suggest it could never go back to the traditional places.

;)

Always a pleasure to see that some people, although we don't have quite the same position, can be intellectually honest. And capable of debating in a moderate way (like Athensfan), defending and explaining their position rather than just finding injurious adjectives for whatever they don't agree with; which is not only useless but also not very interesting to read.

FYI...First, as it's been pointed out, I've never been opposed to the games returning to traditional places.

Secondly, the United States, with the diversity it can boast, has a much broader potential for the renewal of the olympics. Its undeniable cultural diversity makes it a country that's capable of reinventing the games and to everytime bring a contribution to the olympic heritage, and to its history. It is impossible to compare such a country, with a population of more than 300 millions, to a culturally homogenous land of less than 5 millions. I think you get it.

Third, North America is a vast, even huge territory with a population that isnt equal to that of Europe but not too far from it, and apart from the United States and Canada, I'm sure you're aware that there's no other country in what is refered to as "North America". Yet North America is a part of the world that needs to receive the games once in a while just like any other part of the world. Impossible to compare the USA and Norway here once more. For all those reasons, I do think -and I'm perfectly fine with it- that the United States is indeed an essential and a key place.

You see, there is no contradiction in my position, nor is it bad -in my eyes- to regard as un utmost necessity the ideal of universality that the olympic spirit conveys, and has always conveyed. I respect your position, but this is mine.

I can understand if people would rather see the 2022 Winter Games elsewhere because it's too soon since the last Norwegian Games, but I can't understand how anyone could think that an Oslo Games would be boring. If the Oslo Games are anything like the Lillehammer Games, with tens and hundreds of thousands of passionate fans at most of the venues, the Games will be anything but boring.

Barring a lack of government support or a major flub by the Oslo bid team, I think the 2022 Games going to Oslo is a done deal. Many IOC members still refer to Lillehammer as the best Winter Olympics ever. Norway has an extremely influential IOC member (Gerhard Heiberg), who, by the way, chaired the organizing committee of the 1994 Games. Lillehammer bailed the IOC out by hosting the 2016 Winter Youth Olympics when no other cities wanted to host. By 2022, it will have been 18 years since the last Winter Games in a "traditional" European setting (if you consider Torino as traditional Europe). Coming off of Sochi and PyeongChang, and with the prospect of South Africa on the horizon for 2024 or 2028, the IOC is going to want a risk-free, hassle-free Winter Games for 2022. Krakow may very well put forth a competent bid and could be a great future host, but Oslo is by far the most logical choice that the IOC has for 2022.

Warm up to the official presentation:

Oslo´s logo profiles

Oslo

Holmenkollen national skiing arena

Holmenkollen-Oslo.png

Visit Oslo

12068190163_d85f3a5b71_m.jpg

"The ski organization": Responsible for the promotion of winter sports and the preperation of cross-country skiing routes in the Oslo area.

5019635_1754782.jpg

Oslo Winterpark planned host of Snowboard events in the bid.

cn8nboakkie415qj22va.jpg

FIS Nordic world skiing championships 2011

308614-11-1298048648622.jpg

WSF World snowboarding championships 2012

SnowboardVM_Logo.jpg

Logo used by the supporters of the bid during the election campaign

84_13_Stem%20JA_Webbanner_456x256pix.jpg

Bonus:

The official logo of VI olympic winter games in 1952

Oslo-Winter-1952.jpg

And the current "rings" in Oslo :)

Holmenkollen ski jump

LB__OL__OL-ringene__275993c.jpg

Bislett stadium (speed skating in 1952)

640px-Bislett_stadion1.jpg

Jordal (site of the Ice hockey matches in 1952 and the 2022 bid)

afp000474358.jpg?updated=250320132116

But, and I know this is going to come as a surprise to you.. you may wind up not being right in the end.

I may; I may NOT. At this point in time, looking foward to a vote in a few months time, I'd say the chips would fall the Krakow bid's way. There have been voting upsets ya know. But I am glad that people think Oslo is the frontrunner. Good position for Oslo to be in. ;)

And capable of debating in a moderate way (like Athensfan), defending and explaining their position rather than just finding injurious adjectives for whatever they don't agree with; which is not only useless but also not very interesting to read.

FYI...First, as it's been pointed out, I've never been opposed to the games returning to traditional places.

ROTFLMFAO!!! I nearly spilled my drink reading that! You haven't been here nearly long enough to say with certainty that Athensfan is "moderate". FAR from it. But interesting to see that you've grown such an affinity towards him. And isn't "injurious adjectives" what your doing here. I'm not be only one here that holds my position, but yet you seem to enjoy in having a condescending nature simply bcuz we might have a diffenrence of opinion. I can see why now you've developed such an affinity for AF. But anyway, I digress.

I don't have enough time to counter your lengthy post, but its interesting to read from you your viewpoint about the U.S. as a European, since most Europeans over the years here wouldn't agree with your assessment. Simply bcuz the U.S. is a diverse & large country, it's still nonetheless ONE country. Whereas Europe literally has over a dozen capable ones.

ROTFLMFAO!!! I nearly spilled my drink reading that! You haven't been here nearly long enough to say with certainty that Athensfan is "moderate". FAR from it. But interesting to see that you've grown such an affinity towards him. And isn't "injurious adjectives" what your doing here. I'm not be only one here that holds my position, but yet you seem to enjoy in having a condescending nature simply bcuz we might have a diffenrence of opinion.

Haha I was just talking about a particular comment, and indeed it was clear, and even if we don't agree on that particular topic, it had the merit of being moderate and consisted in making his point rather than just say "that comment is this, that comment is that" :). Nothing more.

Lool a condescending nature bcuz we might have a difference of opinion? FYI , Athensfan and I don't agree here yet I openly appreciated his moderation and ability to talk about the topic itself. I'm not condescending :lol:

So I don't quite get what you mean...But it's ok. :)

Yes, as FYI says, the US is just one country. If all the states were countries, there'd be 50, about the same as there are in Europe (roughly). But it's one, & since that one flag has flown over 4 Olympics in just 22 years from 1980-2002 (Europe hosted 5, no country hosted twice in that time), it's not really surprising if the IOC want to wait a while before returning to the US. 2026 represents the best chance to see the Olympic flag on US soil since Salt Lake IMO.

But this is the Oslo topic, so let's get back to it: I'm expecting great things of their logo. We all know about Scandinavian design, this should be special.

Third, North America is a vast, even huge territory with a population that isnt equal to that of Europe but not too far from it, and apart from the United States and Canada, I'm sure you're aware that there's no other country in what is refered to as "North America".

I'm not aware of that because geographically Mexico is also part of North America. Even if it's linguistically and culturally different from US and Canada it's still part of the same continent. Technically you could and should extend North America all the way to include Panama and the Caribbean islands, but even if we accepted the concept of Central America, Mexico would certainly not belong to it.

I'm not aware of that because geographically Mexico is also part of North America. Even if it's linguistically and culturally different from US and Canada it's still part of the same continent. Technically you could and should extend North America all the way to include Panama and the Caribbean islands, but even if we accepted the concept of Central America, Mexico would certainly not belong to it.

hubertus1202010apa.jpg

Mr.(mexican)/Prince(german) Hubertus von Hohenlohe-Langenburg agrees.

Hubertus.jpg

Yeah...So ?

Add Mexico if you want...It doesn't change anything to my point.

Even North Am stricto sensu (excluding Mexico) is an important and unavoidable pole for hosting the games.

Continents are artificial creations of map makers. While we commonly split the big land mass into North and South America, you might as well split it into three pieces... North/Central/South. Then you have to figure out what to do with the Caribbean nations (the largest group of countries in the Americas) and the oddballs... Bermuda, Greenland and those French islands I can never remember the names of.

People get too hung up on these artificial groupings.

Archived