Oslo 2022

kernowboy

Ummmm, Baron, so what. Many also trumpeted Doha's 2006 Asian Games as a Summer Olympic test. But obviously the IOC didn't care. Rio got the 2016 Olympics NOT simply bcuz they hosted the Pan Ams. but bcuz the Brazilians actually had a compelling story to sell their bid with. The 2007 Pan Ams merely added a vote of confidence to the IOC to elect Brazil so they could tell that great story on a continent that never hosted before. Almaty, nor Kazahkstan, has no such exciting story to tell. I'll give you Krakow, but not Almaty.

And you just said it yourself, they "co-hosted" those much smaller scale Asian Winter Games with Astana. So Almaty didn't handle the full brunt of those smaller Games. So how can we be so sure that they can handle a much bigger Winter Olympic Games on their own. I'm not convinced, no matter what you & bid book lupe david have to say.

And Rio was chosen also because South America never hosted it before. Rio is one of the best placed cities in South America capable of hosting an Olympic Games. I think Santiago in Chile would also be a good choice in the future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pan Ams did help Rio, even if the bid was the compelling story that South American had not hosted before.

The fact that they didn't make the 2012 shortlist was evident by many venues being under construction in the lead up to the 2007 Pan Ams (Similar to Athens 1996, where many venues were being built for the 1991 Mediterranean Games). By proving that they can host such a large scale event, they got 2016. I do suppose getting a candidate spot above Doha, despite scoring less than Doha also played a major factor.

As for the numbers. I was talking in general numbers (not to mention being late at night you tend not to specifically look things up). 528km is still a huge distance for the pinnacle of Winter Olympic events/sports.

Might as well propose a joint Melbourne-Sydney 2024 Olympics. It takes around 7 hours to travel from here to there (by road). You can split the events to allow for maximum participation and viewership. We have reasonable air transport capacity so people can simply fly to and from each city.

The Pan Ams did help Rio, even if the bid was the compelling story that South American had not hosted before.

The fact that they didn't make the 2012 shortlist was evident by many venues being under construction in the lead up to the 2007 Pan Ams (Similar to Athens 1996, where many venues were being built for the 1991 Mediterranean Games). By proving that they can host such a large scale event, they got 2016. I do suppose getting a candidate spot above Doha, despite scoring less than Doha also played a major factor.

As for the numbers. I was talking in general numbers (not to mention being late at night you tend not to specifically look things up). 528km is still a huge distance for the pinnacle of Winter Olympic events/sports.

Might as well propose a joint Melbourne-Sydney 2024 Olympics. It takes around 7 hours to travel from here to there (by road). You can split the events to allow for maximum participation and viewership. We have reasonable air transport capacity so people can simply fly to and from each city.

I have no idea how Doha scored more than Rio de Janeiro. And yes I agree, the 2007 Pan American Games did help the Bid as well as being the first South American city. I still say 2024 Summer Olympics should go to Africa, most probably Durban, South Africa. Casablanca in Morocco could aswell.

I didn't say that they didn't "help". But they certainly weren't the sole driver to Rio's win, like some here seem to think, or conveniently want to argue that for Almaty's case. Like I said, the 2007 Pan Ams merely served as that extra vote of confidence, like you just outlined in your next paragraph of your last post.

One major difference here. BOTH Melbourne & Sydney (& Australia itself) have already hosted the Summer Olympics. Whereas Stockholm, nor Sweden, hasn't hosted a Winter Olympics. Plus Melbourne to Sydney is still farther than Stockholm to Are.

Stockholm to Are is 328 miles (528km, not 600km). Get the actual numbers right, at least.

Hmm bothered to look it up this time and you're wrong. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=stockholm+to+are&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=HOm1UpXjG6ON8QfBwYCIDA&gws_rd=cr

You must have been referencing distance in a straight line and not actual road distance.

I don't think strained relations with the IOC were part of the decision-making process in the Monti government when they pulled the brakes on Rome 2020.

Believe it or not, but I guess most (Western) governments don't give a damn (anymore) about their relations with the IOC.

Rome Italy is not on the blacklist of the IOC they bailed out before the city got picked Denver will be on the blacklist of the IOC because the IOC picked them to host the 1976 games and bailed out, I don't see them hosting the games until the oldest IOC member was born after 1972.

• 4 weeks later...

Stockholm drops out of the Olympic race!

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=103&artikel=5759142

Moderates in the City says no to organize Winter Games in Stockholm 2022. This means that the whole bourgeois majority are receiving an application .

What do you think about the news ? Comment on this !
Posted at 10:27 am
SHARE 2 COMMENTS
- Unfortunately, it is so that we determine that it is not realistic to go in with an application for OS 2022, says Sten Nordin (M).
Why not ?
- We still need to go through the financial material and secure the economic calculations. Swedish Olympic COMMITTEE has made ​​a serious and good work, but this is very complicated economy. Calculations change.
Sten Nordin (M) also mentions another explanation ;
- We now bet on 140,000 new homes . It is an incredibly demanding applications. We must now put our focus and our money there.
In a press release writing sports Mayor Regina Kevius (M):
"To host a Winter Olympics represents a significant investment in new sports facilities , such as the bobsled and luge. Such facilities are unfortunately no need for after the Olympics ."
Centre Party and the Liberal Party has previously gone out and said that it would be too expensive for Stockholm taxpayers to arrange an OS.
Earlier today even left the Christian Democrats a no. The party says it does not want to speculate with taxpayer money .
Thus it is clear that the City of Stockholm does not submit any Olympic bid .

I would suggest the opposite.

There will be no split in those voting for Scandinavia contenders.

And those in Oslo will now believe that Oslo offers the safest option compared to any other bidders with a vast number of existing proven facilities including those in Lillehammer.

Lviv will suffer from proximity to Sochi

Almaty and Beijing from the 2018 games

Krakow because of the unheralded 2 countries bid

Oslo just got a boost.

And don't forget the Norwegian economy is underpinned by its oil economy and a huge social fund which could justify bidding through the development of extra sporting facilities and housing created by the building on an Olympic village.

Plus the Norwegian population just love their winter sports and arguably more so than the Swedish population

I would suggest the opposite.

There will be no split in those voting for Scandinavia contenders.

And those in Oslo will now believe that Oslo offers the safest option compared to any other bidders with a vast number of existing proven facilities including those in Lillehammer.

Lviv will suffer from proximity to Sochi

Almaty and Beijing from the 2018 games

Krakow because of the unheralded 2 countries bid

Oslo just got a boost.

And don't forget the Norwegian economy is underpinned by its oil economy and a huge social fund which could justify bidding through the development of extra sporting facilities and housing created by the building on an Olympic village.

Plus the Norwegian population just love their winter sports and arguably more so than the Swedish population

Thank You. I am not the only one that counts Krakow/Jasna as a joint bid.

Oslos venue plan (except for the ceremonies) is now conclusive after two final changes to the plan in the past week

1. Biathlon will take place at Grønmo (Southern Oslo)

Etterbruk-Gronmo.jpg%20%28500x328%29.jpg

Gr%C3%B8nmo_flyfoto_utsnitt.jpg%20(600x2

2. The Olympic Village, IPC,MMC and Media Village will be located at Kjelsrud (Groruddalen, Eastern Oslo).

kjelsrud.jpg%20(500x229).jpg

Snohetta_OLKjeldsrudStreet_web.jpg%20%28

This will be a close race between Oslo Norway and Almaty Kazakhstan to get the 2022 winter games, But if the IOC wants to make up with the whole Western World 80% of the Winter sports powers are after what is going on in Scohi Russia 2014 then Oslo Norway will be the place to host the games, I change my mind and now supporting the Oslo Norway 2022 bid Kazakhstan is following Russia and making being Gay illegal again so I can not as a Gay person support Kazakhstan if they do that Norway is a safe country for LGBTIQ people.

Vancouver Canada 2010 was the 1st place in the world to host the Olympics where Gay people had full and equal rights and after Sweden drop out Norway is the only country on that list where the Gay Community have full and equal rights also Lillehammer Norway 1994 games was the 1st Olympics Games that I have been alive for so Norway have a deep connection with me.

Just because certain people say it's not going to happen, doesn't make it so. :rolleyes: In any event, while I am sad for Stockholm and their bid, 700 KM between there and Are was just not a feasible option. It would have been a logistical nightmare.

I think this is going to be a huge boost for Oslo and their bid. They have a detailed venue plan in place, they have the government and public support, experience hosting the games, etc. It's the best bid out there to this point and to me they are the runaway favorites to win the bid for 2022, of course lots can happen between now and next year, but as it stands, Oslo is a runaway favorite.

Archived