Oslo 2022

kernowboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought a high speed rail link between Stockholm and Are was part of the plan?

Well if it is then I wouldn't rule Stockholm/Are out of the race.

^^ It should be on their plans building a high speed rail link between the two. Otherwise I would consider that bid as pretty much doomed.

Also, no. No way they're going to give the games to Beijing, specially after two asian Olympics in a row.

They pretty much joined the race because of Japan getting the 2020 edition :lol:

^^ It should be on their plans building a high speed rail link between the two. Otherwise I would consider that bid as pretty much doomed.

Also, no. No way they're going to give the games to Beijing, specially after two asian Olympics in a row.

They pretty much joined the race because of Japan getting the 2020 edition :lol:

The Bid is pretty much Stockholm vs Oslo because Lviv is having trouble, Beijing and Almaty won't get the 3rd Asian Olympics in a row and Krakow/Jasna is 2 different countries.

Of course it's not exactly groundbreaking to pick Oslo, but in a race where all others are various sorts of groundbreakers and you yourself also pointed out that we've had several non-trad hists back to back, I really think the "conservative" approach, i.e. Oslo will succeed here.

Yeah, but I mainly argue those points in Stockholm's case. Although they do work for Oslo too, I won't deny that. Despite Stockholm's Achilles heel (which is the distance to Are), I'm still not convinced that they are DOA like some on here seem to enjoy to argue.

IMHO, the Swedes are the most compelling choice of the bunch, while being a traditional choice at the same time. They've never hosted a Winter Olympics, while still being a winter sports power that hasn't done so, akin to Russia's argument with Sochi. And unlike the Russians, the Stockholm doesn't need to throw everything at it by building everything literally from scratch. Stockholm is also a very attractive, established European city with much to do. In the event they were to drop out, then yes, 2022 would become Oslo's to lose.

Yeah, but I mainly argue those points in Stockholm's case. Although they do work for Oslo too, I won't deny that. Despite Stockholm's Achilles heel (which is the distance to Are), I'm still not convinced that they are DOA like some on here seem to enjoy to argue.

IMHO, the Swedes are the most compelling choice of the bunch, while being a traditional choice at the same time. They've never hosted a Winter Olympics, while still being a winter sports power that hasn't done so, akin to Russia's argument with Sochi. And unlike the Russians, the Stockholm doesn't need to throw everything at it by building everything literally from scratch. Stockholm is also a very attractive, established European city with much to do. In the event they were to drop out, then yes, 2022 would become Oslo's to lose.

I 100 per cent agree. The thing is is that I personally think it is a very close call. I like both Bids, but what brought me to Stockholm bid was that Norway hosted an Olympics more recently then Sweden, but it is close.

plus the huge distances of venues of Krakow and Stockholm...

Stockholm could do a big surprise in this race, but I'm still not convinced with the huge distance between Are and the swedish capital (700 km) even if Are will just host 4 events.

If I was Sweden I would had picked Ostersund, then again, that city lost a lot of times in the past (pretty much the Istambul of the WOG), so...

There is no "huge" distance to Jasna from Krakow. As a matter of fact, it's a tad shorter distance than Oslo to Lillehammer is, at 109 miles compared to 114 miles.

And Stockholm to Are is 328 miles (528 km, not 700km. Ostersund is too small now & not practical for a 21st century Winter Olympics anymore. That's why Stockholm was the choice this time around.

I hardly think we have been there and done that with Oslo.

The first games were in an entirely different era and not at all comparable.

Lillehammer was a small town folkefest which contrasts with Oslo's urban games proposal.

So no, we haven't been there or done that, quite the contrary.

Of course I want Stockholm to host the games, more than any other winter bid ever. But Oslo would be an excellent host too.

Either city offers a fresh contrast to Sochi's authoritarianism and PyeongChang's lack of winter sport heritage.

I hardly think we have been there and done that with Oslo.

The first games were in an entirely different era and not at all comparable.

Lillehammer was a small town folkefest which contrasts with Oslo's urban games proposal.

So no, we haven't been there or done that, quite the contrary.

Of course I want Stockholm to host the games, more than any other winter bid ever. But Oslo would be an excellent host too.

Either city offers a fresh contrast to Sochi's authoritarianism and PyeongChang's lack of winter sport heritage.

As well as having it in traditional winter countries such as Sweden and Norway which is good, it is also good to see the Games in new places for a change. Just think if the IOC had that sort of thinking for the Summer Olympics, then Rio 2016 wouldn't happen (first in South America).

I agree it's good to have new frontiers sometimes but it's also good to go to countries who have never hosted but are in regions that have. And whilst Lillehammer might seem recent to many, it was actually ages ago.

Since then we'll have been to Japan, the western USA, Italian Alps, Canada's Pacific coast, the Russian Caucasus on the Black Sea and Korea. I think that's a great and varied spread of hosts (including two countries who had never hosted before) and it's not unreasonable to go back to Scandinavia now.

I agree it's good to have new frontiers sometimes but it's also good to go to countries who have never hosted but are in regions that have. And whilst Lillehammer might seem recent to many, it was actually ages ago.

Since then we'll have been to Japan, the western USA, Italian Alps, Canada's Pacific coast, the Russian Caucasus on the Black Sea and Korea. I think that's a great and varied spread of hosts (including two countries who had never hosted before) and it's not unreasonable to go back to Scandinavia now.

Do remember, Lillehammer is hosting the 2016 Winter Youth Olympics aswell. But like I said earlier, I am supporting Stockholm/Are but wouldn't be too dissapointed if Norway/Lillehammer won.

^^ The distance between Bejing 2008 and Nanjing 2014 is also of 6 years. I don't think that will play an important role against Oslo.

This is the main reason why I think 2022 should go to a traditional country this time. I also like new frontiers but we're already going to have one with Pyeongchang. Since we still don't know how that will play out (since their organization is very shrouded in mystery), plus the whole Sochi games have suffered of both Putin authoritarian measures and very serious acussations of corruption, I think one should pick the safest option for 2022, something that either Oslo or Stockholm represent in my opinion. There will be another chance for new frontiers in the future.

In Olympic terms, Lillehammer wasn't "ages ago". If the Olympics happened every year, then yes. But they don't. They're generally a once in a lifetime event. So countries that find themselves hosting multiple times should consider themselves lucky. Especially the much smaller populated ones.

If the IOC were to chose Oslo for 2022, it would be bcuz, much like 2020, they weren't exactly thrilled with the alternatives. And it wouldn't be bcuz it was a "different era" when they last hosted decades ago or bcuz the last time was a "small town setting" contrast to Oslo's urban one. If Munich & St. Moritz hadn't called it quits, they'd have the upper leg on all of that anyway.

Some of the obstacles Oslo 2022 has passed so far:

1. Approval from the Norwegian sports federation (Over 90 percent of the votes in favor)

2. The Oslo city council (Nearly 90 percent of the votes in the city chamber)

3. The city referendum held at the same day as the national parliamentary elections (the only of the potential bidding cities to survive such a test of confidence, in contrast to Munich and St. Moritz)

4. Passing the ultimate event party crusher in Norway, the governmental external financial quality assurance process conducted by the Norwegian Veritas. Both the application for the winter olympics in 2018 (Tromsø) and the bid for the UEFA EURO 2016 (Norway-Sweden) failed and were withdrawn after being slaughtered by the government funded "party crushers" as the economists in Veritas have been nicknamed.

If Munich & St. Moritz hadn't called it quits, they'd have the upper leg on all of that anyway.

That's the key point, they did call it quits. So the only 'traditional' options are Stockholm and Oslo. There are fewer possible host cities for the winter games which makes multiple hosting much more likely. And Norway might have a small population but they are a winter sports super power. Still, Stockholm offers an entirely new possibility.

I'm not saying I disagree with that. I just don't think that the IOC would pay much attention of the differentiators between Norway's two hostings to justify a third. Like 2020, it looks 2022 will be more about the safer choice. And it just happens that not only does Stockholm provide that aspect as well, but it has the narrative too. Moreso than Oslo. Oslo, IMO is the backup if Stockholm backs out or the IOC does indeed have a problem with the distance to Are.

What all this "traditional" picks say is that NO NEW candidates are going to be even considered; and these are not the larger Summer Games. So I think most of you are wrong in placing so much stock in the Scandinavian bids. Because the SOG can only go to the safe choices like London, (RIo will not be a new frontier becuz it's had Rio 2007 and then Brazil 2014), and Tokyo; then it's time to try and entertain the new winter frontiers. I think ALmaty and Krakow will do MUCH better than the boring Scandinavian bids.

I think ALmaty and Krakow will do MUCH better than the boring Scandinavian bids.

Krakow could be a dark horse. But Almaty? Talk about "boring & over-rated". What exactly is suppose to be so exciting about some dreary, ex-Soviet Muslim state. Where are the IOC's members wives & husbands "suppose to shop & drink, & just go out & have a good ole time".

It's the Doha/Baku/Istanbul in the winter category. If much more exciting Istanbul couldn't convince, what more could dingy Almaty do, besides not much. Some of you guys are putting "way to much stock" on this "boring bid".

Kazakhstan is a nice place with full of cultural heritage, actually, and they also have the funds to do it. However they're located in Asia. I don't see them nailing a third asian olympics in a row, however I think their chances are much higher if they bid for 2026.

Also, Baron, Oslo and Stockholm are not that boring, actually. They're known for their nightlife and cultural/architecture heritage (specially Stockholm). They're actually more entertaining than Almaty or Beijing :lol: and light years beyond Tokyo.

Also, on a minor note, Stockholm and Sweden are known for their warm reception towards inmigrants and the gay community, so they could become the anti-Sochi pretty much.

The Winter Olympics have outgrown Sweden, Ukraine is not ready, Poland wont get it with an joint bid and see how 1st how it goes when they host World Youth Day in 2016, Norway it is too soon and is hosting the 2016 Youth Games in Lillliehammer, Beijing been there done that if they bid with Harbin then it will give Almaty Kazakhstan a run for it's money.

Almaty Kazakhstan will be getting the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games where ever people like it or not, Almaty Kazakhstan is the last new horizon to go to in Asia for Winter sports Scandinavia is on the list been there done that, Barcelona Spain will be the next Winter Olympic host in Europe to go to the last new horizon in Europe as they are in Western Europe and they never hosted the winter games before so I think it will go like this

Almaty Kazakhstan 2022

Reno - Lake Tahoe USA 2026

Barcelona Spain 2030

The Winter Olympics have outgrown Sweden, Ukraine is not ready, Poland wont get it with an joint bid and see how 1st how it goes when they host World Youth Day in 2016, Norway it is too soon and is hosting the 2016 Youth Games in Lillliehammer, Beijing been there done that if they bid with Harbin then it will give Almaty Kazakhstan a run for it's money.

Almaty Kazakhstan will be getting the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games where ever people like it or not, Almaty Kazakhstan is the last new horizon to go to in Asia for Winter sports Scandinavia is on the list been there done that, Barcelona Spain will be the next Winter Olympic host in Europe to go to the last new horizon in Europe as they are in Western Europe and they never hosted the winter games before so I think it will go like this

Almaty Kazakhstan 2022

Reno - Lake Tahoe USA 2026

Barcelona Spain 2030

Almaty and Beijing stand no chance for this Bidding, Almaty will have a chance should they Bid for 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. But this time round no, because as people keep saying, they won't have 3 Asian Olympics in a row. Lviv is weak, Krakow is a joint bid so they won't get it, which leaves Stockholm and Oslo. Stockholm has the edge because Norway hosted it more recently.

Archived