2014 - boring

2016 - missed it, but heard it was exciting

2018 - exciting

2020 - boring

2022 - potential to be very exciting

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Boring & exciting" races is subjective to the eye of the beholder. What's exciting to you, is boring to someone else. What's boring to you, is exciting to someone else. Many said that 2018 was boring too, due to only three bidders. Each race is exciting & boring in their own way to someone.

True enough. If the race generated discussion on these forums, I found it exciting. Usually, that entailed a bid from an English-speaking country, or a strong supporter of a non-Anglophone country, with enough controversy worth debating over or some semblance of historic or geopolitical significance. I didn't feel any of that for 2020.

I do feel that for 2022. Norway and Sweden are practically English-speaking countries, there can be plenty of controversy and there is the possibility for historic and geopolitical significance.

I was responsible for the rest. :P

Uh huh, right. Going by all the "boring" arguments being flung against Tokyo, many were "predicted" anyone but the Japanese.

*"Predicting" anyone but the Japanese. Hindsight is always "20/20".

Did you read these boards or the basis on which people answered that poll?

Puff yourself up in any way you can.

Races on GB:

2008 - exciting, felt very historic at the time

2010 - exciting

2012 - I hear it was exciting, but I missed this race

2014 - boring

2018 - exciting

2020 - boring

I found 2014 way more interesting than 2018. I actually thought 2018 was dull.

I can't say I'm excited about 2022 either. 2024 might have potential though.

I found 2014 way more interesting than 2018. I actually thought 2018 was dull.

I can't say I'm excited about 2022 either. 2024 might have potential though.

That's fascinating to hear. I was trying to be objective in calling 2014 boring because I don't recall much debate. It was mostly Andrew8 and I posting articles for Pyeongchang, and rolilau doing the same for Salzburg. But personally, 2014 was very exciting for me because I was expecting a PC win, and I probably cared more for 2014 than I did for 2018.

Well, if polarity of opinions and vehemence of arguments are the criteria, 2022 is shaping up to be one of the more "interesting" races on GBids yet.

I guess. But it really only gets interesting if Oslo drops out. Otherwise we're just debating about how to rank the losers.

Puff yourself up in any way you can.

Whatever. No different than how you try to "puff" yourself up. If things don't go as you "predicted", you always fall back & say things like, it was "predictable & boring". But if you happen to get something right, you're always the first one to bolster & brag about it in a "I told ya so" tone.

True enough. If the race generated discussion on these forums, I found it exciting. Usually, that entailed a bid from an English-speaking country, or a strong supporter of a non-Anglophone country, with enough controversy worth debating over or some semblance of historic or geopolitical significance. I didn't feel any of that for 2020.

Every race generates controversy worth discussing, though. And I certainly found 2020 to be no different than the 2018 race in that regard, the only difference that it was a different set of dynamics. How passionate runningrings was for Istanbul 2020, for example, is evidence that 2020 was very exciting for some people. Just bcuz it wasn't to you doesn't mean that it wasn't exciting.

You were passionate about PyeongChang 2018, which created excitement for you. But it didn't for others. That's why one can't make such declarations when it's such things are so subjective TBW.

Well, if polarity of opinions and vehemence of arguments are the criteria, 2022 is shaping up to be one of the more "interesting" races on GBids yet.

Exactly. As every race does, in some fashion or another.

I don't believe it's up for grabs unless Oslo drops out. That's my point. It's Oslo by daylight in my opinion.

According to Baron, it's Krakow's. According to you & others, it's Oslo's. According to myself, Gangwon & others, it's Stockholm's. There isn't a unison opinion going on here. If Oslo were to drop out, then it's definitely Stockholm's, going by your "traditional" argument. Unless the Swedes drop out, too. Then I line up with Baron on that one, & it becomes Krakow's.

FYI, read my posts in the 2020 prediction thread. They make my views crystal clear. As usual, you're misrepresenting my position.

I never said there was agreement about 2022. I said I was not excited. If you are, congrats. I stand by my belief that Oslo will win as long as the government doesn't handicap the bid.

*collapses* *gets back up* I can't speak for any race before 2018**, but I can't remember any race like this on here^ Could Stockholm be the most polarising bid in GB's history? Would've liked to have seen the 2012 race on here too, but I guess the threads are lost forever now, & I probably wouldn't recognise anyone :(

**Yes, I know, I lurked for ages :P

^Other than the 2014 CWG race, which is being revisited in the Commie subforum now, that got fun :lol:

My bad. I'm not sure how the city's name is written on english since it's not my native language. But you don't have to go all smartass towards me just because of it.

That's not the point. You spelled "Wroclaw" right. The thing is, Wroclaw isn't bidding.

Trondheim, Gothenburg, and Shanghai aren't in this race, are they? :)

Races on GB:

2008 - exciting, felt very historic at the time

2010 - exciting

2012 - I hear it was exciting, but I missed this race

2014 - boring

2018 - exciting

2020 - boring

Well, opinions may differ between people. Me, for example. I dont know if really consider the 2008 race as exciting since Beijing literally mopped the floor with everyone, for what I can remember. 2005 was the most exciting for me so far since there were so many good and interesting candidates, followed by 2009 with the surprise of Chicago and Tokyo being eliminated early and the olympics arriving to latin american soil.

I thought the 2014 race was kinda meh and I wasnt very happy with Sochi winning. 2018 and 2020 were ok for me, i guess, but that's it.

FYI, read my posts in the 2020 prediction thread. They make my views crystal clear. As usual, you're misrepresenting my position.

Uh huh. I'm not "misrepresenting" your position anymore than you do mine. Besides, the bingo card speaks for itself. So I don't need to read through all those old 2020 threads. You placed Tokyo last. The only thing you got right was Wrestling. But whatever you say.

I never said there was agreement about 2022. I said I was not excited. If you are, congrats. I stand by my belief that Oslo will win as long as the government doesn't handicap the bid.

I'm not excited nor bored about 2022. I'm merely expressing my position on it. Again, it's not about whether you think that Oslo will win, but about your totally dismissive attitude about Stockholm, which I (& quite a few others here) don't agree with. That's all.

Wow, nearly ten new pages on this thread within a day :o

How some of the planned competition sites in Oslo looks today:

Holmenkollen: Ski jumping, Nordic combined and cross-country skiing

LB__OL__OL-ringene__275993c.jpg

Holmenkollen_118434616x9.jpg

skistadion5.jpg%20(800x534).jpg

Midtstubakken: Ski jumping and Nordic combined

12.jpg

Oslo Winterpark - Wyller: Snowboard and Freestyle skiing

3374320581.jpg

elite.jpg

60958056.jpg

68022777.jpg

Grefsenkollen: Freestyle skiing (Moguls and aerials)

0155874.jpg-sf09a807.jpg?updated=1901201

401033_10150571577884793_1060003247_n.jp

06-Arenaer---Grefsenkollen.jpg

Telenor Arena: Figure Skating and Short-Track speed skating

800px-Telenor_Arena_Eurovision_2010.JPG

Jordal: Ice Hockey 2

800px-Jordal_idrettsplass%2C_Oslo.jpg

Jordal-Amfi.png

Valle Hovin: Speed-skating

0000972545.jpg?updated=210520081810

Huken: Biathlon

Huken+Pukkverk.jpg?return=www.groruddale

Lørenskog: Curling

3756842738_4470693a.jpg

Kjelsrud-Stubberud: Olympic Village, MPC, MMC and Ice Hockey 1

Kjelsrud_OL_2.jpg?return=www.groruddalen

3663829732.jpg

Kjelsrud_2.jpg?return=www.groruddalen.no

Uh huh. I'm not "misrepresenting" your position anymore than you do mine. Besides, the bingo card speaks for itself. So I don't need to read through all those old 2020 threads. You placed Tokyo last. The only thing you got right was Wrestling. But whatever you say.

I'm not excited nor bored about 2022. I'm merely expressing my position on it. Again, it's not about whether you think that Oslo will win, but about your totally dismissive attitude about Stockholm, which I (& quite a few others here) don't agree with. That's all.

I wrote specifically that I expected Tokyo, Bach and wrestling with Madrid first out, but I couldn't bring myself to cast such a boring ballot so I went for Istanbul and Ng Ser Miang for fun. You're treating that index way more seriously than I did. That's why you should read my posts. I thoroughly explained the difference between my expectations and my knowingly far-fetched picks. How much fun would it have been if we were all surprised? Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived