Oslo 2022

kernowboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who's left as candidates if Oslo is a no go.... Munich, Barcelona, Krakow, Lviv, Almaty? Maybe Sweden? That's not a bad list.

And then let's throw in Doha or Dubai after that for sh!t and giggles.

Still technically Asia I suppose

So who's left as candidates if Oslo is a no go.... Munich, Barcelona?

Munich also faces a referendum of their own in November. Its not a given yet that they'll bid. And same for Barcelona. In the event that Madrid were to win 2020, you can scratch off Barcelona 2022. And even if Madrid lost, its still questionable whether the Castillian-based SOC would support a Barcelona 2022 bid & may want to put up Madrid yet again for 2024. Especially with the ongoing Castillian-Catalonian rivalry.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as far as I know, voting centres will close at 7 PM GMT, so there's still a few minutes left. And I'm not too sure when we can expect a result. The Norvegian parliamentary elections are today, too, and I think they have bigger priority and will therefore be counted before.

Olympic voting results delayed

Technical problems were said to be behind a delay in final compilation of votes in an Oslo referendum over whether the city should apply to host the Winter Olympics in 2022. Before the counting was interrupted, the “no” side was running slightly ahead of those in favour.

Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) reported that 49 percent of those voting (57,577) oppose hosting an Olympics while 48 percent were favour (56,506). The remainder voted “blank,” meaning they crossed off a box indicating they had no opinion.

But then the athletic boosters who’ve campaigned vigorously to move forward with Oslo’s “Games in the City” project were told by Oslo Mayor Fabian Stang that the results wouldn’t be available until Tuesday morning. “He recommended we go home and get some sleep,” Inge Andersen, secretary general of the national athletics federation, told NRK. “I hope I wake up to a ‘yes’ vote.”

Andersen and other Olympic boosters claimed they were pleased with the preliminary results because public opinion polls had indicated much larger opposition to the Olympic project. Its huge costs are the biggest worry, with budgets ranging from NOK 20 million to nearly NOK 50 billion and fears of overruns like those on earlier city-managed sports projects.

The city already has spent millions just for the planning carried out so far. It’s ultimately up to the state government to decide whether to support an Olympics because it must put up financial guarantees. Opponents of an Olympics argue that the costs are too high and will force cuts in other more important city projects. Promoters point to the economic and community development an Olympics could bring.

News in English.norway

Hopefully that "technical problem" will fix that 48% v 49% to a 49% v 48%.

:-)

To get the facts straight. The 49 v 48 were the results of the advanced submitted votes, which is why they could be counted sooner.

The election day votes results were scheduled to be all counted and made public at around 0230 AM, but because of delays due to implementation of a new voting counting system they weren't able to make it on schedule and people were told not to wait up. It's now 6 am and the results are public.

Final results: roughly 55 % of the non-blank votes said Yes.

This is not surprising as the wind had turned in favour of Yes in the latter stages of the race.

Praise Jesus. Sorry Gangwon, might not make it to Pyeongchang if Oslo gets into the winner's circle.

And from what I hear, the new center-right (or in normal politics, the slightly-right-of-center but a small degree) party has won office. I have been told they will be more likely to back a bid and not play regional politics. I would also think that the Royal Household would back a bid.

Majority supports Oslo 2022 Winter Olympics bid

Oslo (dpa) - A majority in the Norwegian capital of Oslo supports hosting the 2022 Winter Olympics in the city, preliminary results of an advisory referendum showed Tuesday.

While 55.1 per cent supported the bid, 44.9 per cent were opposed, according to the results of a local referendum held in connection with Monday‘s parliamentary elections.

"It is a great victory for the yes-side. I‘m really happy," Inge Andersen, secretary general of the Norwegian Sports Confederation, told broadcaster NRK.

Andersen said Norway‘s newly elected parliament and government will have to consider the bid. Monday‘s parliamentary elections resulted in a new political majority with Erna Solberg, leader of the Conservative Party who aims to form a centre-right government.

Bid intentions must be submitted to the International Olympic Committee before the end of the year. The 2022 host city will be elected by the IOC in 2015.

Norway hosted Winter Olympics in Oslo 1952 and in Lillehammer 1994.

Archived