Oslo 2022

kernowboy

It has been announced that the Norwegian NOC have agreed that Norway should bid for the 2022 or 2026 bid and that Oslo should be the host city.

Previously Oslo had paired with Lillehammer to bid for Norway's entry for 2018, but was beaten by Tromso. This was principally because of the government's policy of regional development which as since been reversed. Tromso eventually withdrew because of issues regarding the post games use of venues.

It will be 28years since Scandinavia held the games, and as a nation Norway can leverage the success of Lillehammer 1994 in their bid, the restrained patriotism yet support for all. Though Lillehammer are hosting the 2016 WYOG this is because all other bidders withdrew and could be seen as doing the IOC a favourable in hosting a games which might be otherwise have been cancelled.

Oslo has many appealing and attractive venues.

Holmenkollbakken_under_construction_aerial_2.jpg

The venue has a capacity of 50,000 and would be used for opening ceremonies and the ski jumping. It is also in the middle of the Holmenkollbakken national arena where the smaller Midtstubakken is central to the Nordic and Biathalon events.

Indoor events could be held at:

16x9telenor_73868a.jpg

Telenor Arena, capacity 15,000+ (Figure Skating, Ice Hockey Finals, Short Track)

OsloPlaza07.jpg

Oslo Spektrum, capacity 10,000 (Ice Hockey)

Jordal_Amfi.jpg

Jordal Amfi, capacity 4,500 (Curling)

and there exist plans to convert the Valle Hovin speed skating arena into an indoor venue alongside the existing 5,500 Valle Hovin arena used for ice hockey. There are currently 4 icehockey teams in Oslo who could use any new build venues if they were required

Currently the sliding events and downhill events are planned to be held in Lillehammer/Kvitfjell. However should this be deemed too far even with the new high speed rail link there are local alternatives. The original 2018 bid did consider local venues.

resortimage.jpg

Norefjell is under 1500m but has a vertical drop of 1010m !!! It is about 113km from Oslo, 90mins drive

Wyller4.jpg

whilst the Tryvann resort inside the city limits could be used for snowboarding and other freestyle events.

Finally the bobsleigh could be held at the Korketrekkern if upgraded. The original course was a temporary snow bank course now used for recreation by locals but the original 1520m course with a 8.6% gradient exists as the link shows.

All venues with the exception of Norefjell are within the city limits and connected by the extensive Oslo Metro transport system. And Oslo now has the 6th largest airport in Europe at Gandermoen, with direct flights to North America, Asia, the Middle East and North Africa as well as Europe.

With government and public support, two previously well received games, and a number of venues already in place with guaranteed post games usage, they might be the one to beat.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is certain yet. What is happening is that the winter sports organizations in Norway have agreed that they want to apply for the 2022 Games and that Oslo should be the applicant city. But it's still very early and they don't have any government support or financial guarantees as of yet, so it's still possible that the bid might not happen at all.

Besides, the public is pretty divided on the issue, especially in northern Norway, where many are bitter that Tromsø wasn't given a chance this time.

^Yeah, that's at least what the GB article said, that it was Norway's sports organizations, & NOT the NOC that wanted to go ahead.

And the public's division on the subject, for starters, just goes to show that ANY bid comes with it's baggage, including Norway. And not something that would only be conducive to Germany, Sweden & Switzerland, like some like to point out incessantly. NO bid comes without it's own internal issues.

Nothing is certain yet. What is happening is that the winter sports organizations in Norway have agreed that they want to apply for the 2022 Games and that Oslo should be the applicant city. But it's still very early and they don't have any government support or financial guarantees as of yet, so it's still possible that the bid might not happen at all.

Besides, the public is pretty divided on the issue, especially in northern Norway, where many are bitter that Tromsø wasn't given a chance this time.

The problem with Tromso was it looked fantastic on paper but there were significant post legacy issues and then the price doubled - €2.29bn not the €1.08 as originally stated by the Tromso organisers.

A pity as I think it would have been an interesting contender, but then again what might the chances of success be with Sochi 2014 in Europe and the old continental rotation chestnut.

As for 2022, did Tromso put in a bid to win the NIF selection?

Borre Rognlien, president of the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and the country’s Confederation of Sport, said he had “informally” spoken to the city and state about a possible bid, and had received a positive response. Seems like the NOPC have no objections?

I read the decision to give Tromso the nomination in 2018 was a political decision.

Technically the bid was inferior and riskier than both Oslo and Trondheim, and had to come down to a single deciding vote.

If it's like London 2012, I wonder if the IOC have had a quiet word and said, if you don;t bid with Oslo you're unlikely to win the games?

My only interest in an Oslo bid is that it will weaken Munich. Goslo...but FASTER!! :lol:

I don't get that

Now that there is a serious European contender, Munich will up their game rather than be complacent.

Either way ... Munich or Oslo v Reno is a no-brainer in favour of the former

U're really new at this?

A few Euro bids will split the euro votes, strategically necessary in the first round or 2.

No but you are assuming people will want to vote for Reno? The moment either Oslo or Munich drop out, then the other will get the votes.

And there's no way, you'd get enough votes to win Outright in R1

#1 - No but you are assuming people will want to vote for Reno? The moment either Oslo or Munich drop out, then the other will get the votes.

#2 - And there's no way, you'd get enough votes to win Outright in R1

Uhmmmm...

#1 - EVERY Candidate city, Winter or Summer, has its OPENING bloc of votes. Even in 1986 when there were 7, count'em SEVEN, Winter candidate cities...just look at the Voting table here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Winter_Olympics yeah, the precious German entyr, Berchtesgaden, only got 6 votes in the OPENING round.

Votes of Oslo or Munich would NOT NECESSARILY switch to the other. Did the Annency supporters switch to Munich? I don't think so. I guess you haven't heard of the principle of people NOT VOTING for their neighbor but for the faraway city in the hopes that their candidate will have ANOTHER shot in the next round??? You can also read more about the whole voting matter in my book...see below.

U gotta learn from history, Kernow.

#2 - Uhmmmm, Salt Lake City got 54 votes in the first round: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Winter_Olympics and of course, you are going to say something snarky as well, "...they bribed, etc., etc.," I think you have a lot more bile in you than me. But I can kvetch with the best as well. ;)

Uhmmmm...

#1 - EVERY Candidate city, Winter or Summer, has its OPENING bloc of votes. Even in 1986 when there were 7, count'em SEVEN, Winter candidate cities...just look at the Voting table here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Winter_Olympics yeah, the precious German entyr, Berchtesgaden, only got 6 votes in the OPENING round.

Votes of Oslo or Munich would NOT NECESSARILY switch to the other. Did the Annency supporters switch to Munich? I don't think so. I guess you haven't heard of the principle of people NOT VOTING for their neighbor but for the faraway city in the hopes that their candidate will have ANOTHER shot in the next round??? You can also read more about the whole voting matter in my book...see below.

#2 - Uhmmmm, Salt Lake City got 54 votes in the first round: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Winter_Olympics and of course, you are going to say something snarky as well, "...they bribed, etc., etc.," I think you have a lot more bile in you than me. But I can kvetch with the best as well. ;)

but you fail to consider the neon glitter awfulness of Reno. It will be the Atlanta of the Winter Olympics

Uhmmmm...

Bribes. Exactly.

What you don't say is that prior to getting those shady 54 votes, Salt Lake City had previously attempted to get the games in 1998 and like Pyeongchang had come very close. I don't recall Reno bidding for 2018?

Also in 2002, the competition was weak with Ostersund and Sion both having legacy issues and Quebec not having a mountain.

Now consider 2022 with Reno up against some major contenders like Munich and Oslo. That's a whole different scale of competition. For example with the OlympiaHalle, the OlympicEisHalle, the Audi Dome, the Olympic stadium, the Garmish Ice Hall, the Garmish SkiJump Hill, the Eistadion Inzell, and the Schonau am Konigsee, Munich could host the games tomorrow without any issue of what to build and how it might be used tomorrow. Both Munich and Oslo have full international continental airports as well.

but you fail to consider the neon glitter awfulness of Reno.

It is what it is. So what? Some people like neon. Why is Las Vegas so successful?

Besides, that's ONLY half of it. The alpine people will probably be spread out in the various Lake Tahoe communities. And so what? Figure skating, speedskating, hockey, curling will ALL be indoors. What should it matter if there's neon outside. There are far UGLIER cities on earth than Reno. And will all the snow, who will notice?

U look at the glass half-empty; I see it as half-full.

And for those of worked Atlanta, our memories of it are NOT as awful as those who were NEVER there!!

Don't go; you're probably not going to be welcome there. :P

and the Schonau am Konigsee, Munich could host the games tomorrow without any issue of what to build and how it might be used tomorrow. Both Munich and Oslo have full international continental airports as well.

So what? Do PyeongChang and Annency have int'l airports? Did Lillehammer? Albertville? Nagano? Innsbruck? St. Moritz? Lake Placid? They're NOT going to build an int'l airport just for a 2-week festival. They're NOT that stupid.

And precisely that's MY POINT...we need one or 2 more Euro candidates in there, and Reno (or that damned Denver) MIGHT just rise to the top -- especially if 2020 goes to Rome or Madrid.

Bribes. Exactly.

What you don't say is that prior to getting those shady 54 votes, Salt Lake City had previously attempted to get the games in 1998 and like Pyeongchang had come very close. I don't recall Reno bidding for 2018?

Also in 2002, the competition was weak with Ostersund and Sion both having legacy issues and Quebec not having a mountain.

Precisely why Salt Lake City won so handily, because the competition was weak. Even Richard Pound came out later to say that Salt Lake's bid was by far the best out of the competition for 2002, & there really was no need for them to "bribe".

Besides, even without the so-called bribes, Salt Lake still would've won. So don't sit there & say that ALL of their 54 votes were "shady". Otherwise, the IOC would've had to expel the WHOLE membership rather than just a handful of "shady", greedy members. It takes TWO to tango, ya know.

And it's not like previous bidding cities weren't doing it, either. Nagano & Sydney were also accused of bribes but nothing ever came of it. It was only Salt Lake's rough luck that they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. So please, stop embellishing.

Good to see baron edited out the last line from his last post.. this forum is something else!

kernowboy.. the bribes may have played a part in the 2002 bidding, but like you brought up, it came after Salt Lake had nearly beaten Nagano and that vote came less than 9 months after Atlana's win. Even still, SLC won in the 1st round with a pretty wide margin up against weak competition, so not unlike Atlanta, at that point it was almost a win by default, regardless of what was happening behind the scenes with the IOC.

As for the 2022 race, baron brought up an interesting point about the Euro bids, but I'm gonna flip this one on him. Let's say the field is Munich, Oslo, and Reno (I'm not going to dismiss Reno's chances based on perception, I think it's the technical side they're going to fall short, but that's for another thread). Popular wisdom says that if you're backing, say, Oslo and they go out in the first, you throw your support behind Reno to preserve the hopes of a European host for 2026. Well, who's to say there wouldn't be 2 consecutive Winter Olympics in Europe? And if I'm Oslo and don't get 2022, do I want to go up against Reno/Denver for 2026 or do I want to go up against Munich on their 3rd try? That's why I think we're looking at a European city getting 2022, and right now I'd still wager that city will be Munich, although from the info kernowboy is giving us on Olso (and Munich for that matter.. appreciate the information), they both seem like stronger candidate than what the United States is offering right now.

As for the 2022 race, baron brought up an interesting point about the Euro bids, but I'm gonna flip this one on him. Let's say the field is Munich, Oslo, and Reno (I'm not going to dismiss Reno's chances based on perception, I think it's the technical side they're going to fall short, but that's for another thread). Popular wisdom says that if you're backing, say, Oslo and they go out in the first, you throw your support behind Reno to preserve the hopes of a European host for 2026. Well, who's to say there wouldn't be 2 consecutive Winter Olympics in Europe? And if I'm Oslo and don't get 2022, do I want to go up against Reno/Denver for 2026 or do I want to go up against Munich on their 3rd try? That's why I think we're looking at a European city getting 2022, and right now I'd still wager that city will be Munich, although from the info kernowboy is giving us on Olso (and Munich for that matter.. appreciate the information), they both seem like stronger candidate than what the United States is offering right now.

Surely, no one can predict that. But I think with the mixture of the IOC becoming more international, even at a glacial pace, I think, or would like to think that in this 2nd decade, IOC'ers really think more internationally rather than regionally, and would stick to spreading the Games around, especially if 2020 will be European. I am sure by the time the 2020 races packs up, the pulse for Durban 2024 will be felt..so I think, or would like to think that the 2022 race should be played against the backdrop of where the bigger 2020 and 2024 awards have gone/going to; and they might toss a bone to their 'sugar daddy/mommy...whatever,' as they are prone to do so once in awhile.

My only regret that if Reno or Denver were allowed to run 2x, it would be a very expensive proposition for either one...not unless the IOC has clamped down on bidding costs. The other thing which might/might not impact Denver 2022-26 bids is that surely, the US will again go for for World Cup 2026. (Maybe continental rotation there will return the WC to us/US.) But like in the 2022 WC plan, if Denver will be a possible WC venue, I wonder if 2 Denver bids plus getting considered for a 2026 venue, might not be too much for Denver's financial resources?? Can Denver/Colorado businesses fund/sustain those simultaneous bids?

My only regret that if Reno or Denver were allowed to run 2x, it would be a very expensive proposition for either one...not unless the IOC has clamped down on bidding costs. The other thing which might/might not impact Denver 2022-26 bids is that surely, the US will again go for for World Cup 2026. (Maybe continental rotation there will return the WC to us/US.) But like in the 2022 WC plan, if Denver will be a possible WC venue, I wonder if 2 Denver bids plus getting considered for a 2026 venue, might not be too much for Denver's financial resources?? Can Denver/Colorado businesses fund/sustain those simultaneous bids?

I would be shocked beyond belief if the United States didn't pursue the 2026 World Cup. How that affects the USOC remains to be seen.

I think the USOC and these cities need to be very careful about these bids. Atlanta and Salt Lake both won thanks in part to favorable bidding circumstances. Reno/Denver may or may not luck into that type of situation, and especially with 2022 looking like it could be headed to Europe, does the USOC want to give an Anchorage-type deal where they say "we'll keep bidding until we win" or a Salt Lake-type deal where they promise to bid with the same city for at least 2 cycles. Denver permanently has financial issues to deal with and right now, California and Nevada aren't exactly in great shape financially. So the question becomes is it prudent to spend that type of money when there's a less than great shot of winning. That's why I'm curious to see what Reno/Tahoe is offering up because, even though the bid deadline is still 2 years ago, that might be a tough sell to say they're looking to pledge X amount of dollars towards an Olympics that may or may not happen there.

Of course, they (whichever one it is) could put in a token bid for 2022, just to get on the radar for 2026, knowing that Europe has the stronger candidates (and maybe sentiment); and with that out of the way, go all OUT for 2026. A $10 million bid shouldn't hurt too much.

I agree BUT

1) Would they be the candidate city for 2026? I still think if Portland, Oregon made a bid to host, they'd be tough to beat, as they'll have 4 suitable arenas - Rose Garden, Memorial Coliseum, Pilots' Arena and Vikings Arena, an expanded MLS stadium based on how well their attendances are going and a Convention Centre which might possibly be reconfigured for speed skating ...

2) if USA win 2024, then it would be 2030 at the very earliest I would think

I agree BUT

1) Would they be the candidate city for 2026? I still think if Portland, Oregon made a bid to host, they'd be tough to beat, as they'll have 4 suitable arenas - Rose Garden, Memorial Coliseum, Pilots' Arena and Vikings Arena, an expanded MLS stadium based on how well their attendances are going and a Convention Centre which might possibly be reconfigured for speed skating ...

Well, if PORTLAND bids. The thing is, if the USOC thinks this through (and as it has done in the past) already designate its Winter candidate for 2022-26. If Portland wants to get in, they'll have to do it now...alongside Reno and Denver. Otherwise, the gate is temporarily shut for them and any 2024 Summer wannabees. (I think Summer 2024 for the US is out of the question.) Especially with today's economy and if it limps along for tne next few years, a concerted 2022-26 scheme would be the most cost-efficient strategem and have a better chance of winning. SURELY, if 2022 doesn't come to the US, it is North America's turn for 2026!!

Is Portland even showing interest though? Denver seems further along in that respect and they're still well behind Reno in terms of preparation/organization. If Portland wants to get into the mix, they need to do so sooner rather than later, because if the USOC commits to 2022-2026, they're going to have to choose a candidate within the next 2 years and I agree with baron that they won't be able to sneak in for 2026 unless 1 or probably both other cities drop out.

Right now, the only U.S. cities making any attempts that they would like to host the Winter Olympics are Reno & Denver. It's almost pointless to talk about anyone else if they're not interested, or are not even on the radar. The USOC has to go with what they get.

There are so many many other options out there, too, like Albany, Boise or even Anchorage again. But if they ain't interested, they ain't interested. Pointing a city out is one thing, but incessantly trying to push something that is not there is another.

Is Portland even showing interest though?

Precisely the point.

Archived